• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bypass Front Desk means less chance of upgrade?

peaches0313

DIS Veteran
We have been fortunate enough to have gotten "magical" upgrades on two trips to Disneyland. We will arrive at the GF shortly for my birthday trip and got this link to check in online and bypass front desk. I know people will say don't count on an upgrade, which I **DO NOT**. Need to put that out there, but one can always be hopeful. With that being said, do you think there is less chance of an upgrade since we won't be face to face with a CM who we can ask about an upgrade? Does the GF rarely have upgrades anyways (maybe its always full?) Thoughts? It is tempting to have check in completed ahead of time. Thanks! :)

Every upgrade I have seen at the GF was set by the room assigners ahead of time- many people staying there are there for special events that if everyone with something happening asked and was granted upgrades they would be upgrading the entire resort. I have checked in a few times at GF and have never seen anyone asking for an upgrade get one- although I have seen a number of people who were given one by room assigners and were pleasantly surprised.

Upgrades aren't given because someone asks. Rather, they're given if a certain category of rooms is overbooked or if a certain room in a certain category needs to be taken out of inventory for maintenance, and the upgrade occurs on a first come, first served basis. And as rlovew said, sometimes those celebrating are sprinkled with a bit of pixie dust too.

Ok, thanks. I may give it a try then (the bypass desk online check in.). We have gotten upgrades to a Downtown Disney view two times upon checking in at the Grand Californian, just by asking, so not ALL upgrades are due to over bookings, etc. but I understand that may be different at the Grand Floridian. Thanks.

We've been using on-line check-in for a while (but will use the bypass front desk for the first time later this month.) With regular check-in, from 1983-2011, we received one upgrade and I could see it online before we arrived. With on-line check-in from 2011-present, we've received four upgrades. It seems like most are determined in advance by room assignors from what CMs have told us.

As mentioned, upgrades are already assigned by room assignors. Your checking in at desk doesn't make a difference. We have from time to time gotten upgrades at WDW resorts, but I'd never ask for a free upgrade.

Rlovew: So you think I should just go ahead and do the online checkin?

That is totally up to you. I like stopping at the desk and since we drive it doesn't bother me to stop there before going elsewhere so I don't do online check in myself- the GF lobby is impressive to walk into as well. I was just saying I wouldn't do it or not do it based on getting an upgrade.

That is totally up to you. I like stopping at the desk and since we drive it doesn't bother me to stop there before going elsewhere so I don't do online check in myself- the GF lobby is impressive to walk into as well. I was just saying I wouldn't do it or not do it based on getting an upgrade.

This. :thumbsup2

I thought that bypassing the front desk was just a trial run and ending soon? One still has to go to the desk with online check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter