• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BYOB Question

mikeyjenbtm

Earning My Ears
I have read that bringing your own alcohol is the way to go - big money saver.

DH and I are all for that, but how do you do this? Do you pack it in your carry-on/daybag or suitcases? Does it get through airport security alright? I would think that alcohol bottles going through the x-ray scanner would instantly get taken away from us.

Thanks! :)

We pack a soft-sided, rolling cooler for the trip. Once we get to Florida, we stop and pick up water, beer, wine, etc. and pack it in the cooler without ice. This is important as DCL requests that you don't pack items in ice as it can leak. Then we wheel the cooler on (put it through the x-ray machine at security.

HTH

Rick

Wherever we go I BYOB and pack in the suitcase wrapped in bubblewrap and then wrap it in a sweatshirt.Never a problem.
I also purchase the airplane bottles from my local beverage store and keep a few those in my carry on camera bag.....(at all times),

Next trip I will wheel a case of water, Diet coke & juice bags for the kiddies on with me.

If you don't bring a cooler with you for the soda, beer, water, etc. does DCL have anything you can put it in with ice to keep it cold or do you just use the room beverage cooler? (But I've heard the coolers in the rooms are not really "refrigerators")

We took 7 bottles of Red Zin on our last cruise. My DH packed them really well in bubble wrap, and then we rolled them on as a carry-on, on the airplane. Worked great because then we had that suitcase for souvenirs....although we still had to buy another suitecase!

To OP
We rolled our soft rolling cooler w/ beer, wine, water right onto ship (don't pack ice). The room hostess kept it filled with ice the whole trip! :cool1:

(since we had that, for the life of me I can't remember what the in-room cooler was like! sorry! :confused3 ]

I know people do it...but I would never pack any bottles or cans of anything in the checked luggage....I would hate to have it explode and ruin my or someone elses stuff.....I had a baby powder container explode in my luggage once and it was a mess!!!

We always bring a few bottles of wine on with us but put it in our day bags.....and we have gone through airport security with it.....it is not illegal to transport bottles of alcohol so they won't take it away (at least I think it is not illegal!).

Disney lets you bring it on but I still try to be discreet about it....no sense in making a spectacle.

Every room has a beverage cooler (they used to be mini bars in the early days of DCL) and although they do not get cold as a real refridgerators....they do fine chilling down beverages. Many folks also use one of the sinks in the bathroom as a mini cooler....your room steward will bring as much ice as you ask him to.

On our cruise 2 weeks ago, we brought a rolling bar with us (it seems). Not really, but it was easy. We used FL Tours to take us to Cocoa Beach the day before. We got a free grocery run and we stopped at a Publix and I purcchased my Miller Lite and some bottled water there. We brought our vodka, V-8 and Jack Daniels from home and wrapped in bubble wrap with no problem. We put an upright carryon within another and put the beer and other liquor in one of those for embarkation. It was very easy.

we brought out bottles of Rosa Regale on with us in our day bags wrapped in bubble wrap. our room steward kept the bottles on ice the ENTIRE time he even changed the ice throughout the day even if the ice hadn't melted! FABULOUS!!

jerseyjanie said:
If you don't bring a cooler with you for the soda, beer, water, etc. does DCL have anything you can put it in with ice to keep it cold or do you just use the room beverage cooler? (But I've heard the coolers in the rooms are not really "refrigerators")

Aside from the fact that the cooler is seriously deficient in refrigerating power, the interior is so small and wierdly-shaped that unless your wine or other beverages are short and stumpy, they won't fit with other things you might want to "cool"....forget cooling a "magnum"-sized bottle...
:woohoo:

Thanks everyone! We're only going on a 3-night, so we'll probably just pack a couple bottles of wine in our carryon bags and go from there! We always buy cheap wine, so even if it gets confiscated, no biggie. :)

Using one sink as an ice cooler is a great idea! Thanks!

This may have been mentioned before, but if you don't need a large quantity
or need just a limited size cooler, they sell a really nice DCL soft cooler and 6 waters, sodas, or beers with ice for $15. They had these on CC and on board before excursions. I guess I'm used to the sticker shock of drinks at the WDW parks, but I didn't think that was a bad price that included a really nice souvenier.

Was wondering if anyone knew of a liquor store close by in Key West. I was thinking, rather than lugging alcohol through the airport, we could purchase it in Key West, where it would be our first stop on the Western Cruise. Appreciate any imput. :smooth:

minniebeth said:
or need just a limited size cooler, they sell a really nice DCL soft cooler and 6 waters, sodas, or beers with ice for $15. They had these on CC and on board before excursions. I guess I'm used to the sticker shock of drinks at the WDW parks, but I didn't think that was a bad price that included a really nice souvenier.

Where were those on sale? That does sound like a good price!

roweans said:
Was wondering if anyone knew of a liquor store close by in Key West. I was thinking, rather than lugging alcohol through the airport, we could purchase it in Key West, where it would be our first stop on the Western Cruise. Appreciate any imput. :smooth:

We bought beer in Key West...It was a little grocery/liquor store right in the midst of the shopping center. I believe we bought 2 12 packs of coorslight and I think it was around 19.00.

minniebeth said:

oooh that does sound good! Where did you get those? Also, where would we find a soft sided roll on cooler? Does it fold up to fit in a suitcase when not in use? If you use Cruiseline's transportation, I would assume it is not possible to get to a liquor store...meaning there are not any in the port area? I think we will be coming in the night before and using Fl Tours anyway but I thought I would ask!

Kim

I have a question. Do they sell nip bottles in Florida? I know they do in New York but I am not sure about Florida. My husband is a vodka fan and wants to bring some with us but we do not want to carry a full size bottle. The nips are perfect single serving bottles.

We use water bottles - usually the smaller ones and carry-on the plane - often helps to premix martinis.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:
Where were those on sale? That does sound like a good price!

They usually have these at ports just before you go out through the Security check on your way off the ship. There is always an opportunity to buy bottled water there, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter