BWV--standard view or preferred view

jimb519

Earning My Ears
We are planning on going in August 2012 Is it worth it to go for the preferred view--105 points vs the atandard view-- 87 points. I appreciate any thoughts form the experts as we have never stayed there.

It pretty much depends on the value you place on looking out the window, or sitting on the balcony watching the world go by...this is not something that is of huge value to my family, so we always try to get SV (only 20% or so of BWVs are SV, tho, and the point requirement is so much lower that it can be hard to get)...

Our stays in SV villas have been very good...the view isn't at all "awful"...generally, SV villas face the front of BWV; you see the canal, green lawn, and some in-and-out BW traffic...if you like watching the pool and its activities, or the Boardwalk bustle (BWV is a separate--and also hard-to-get--booking category, but the points are the same as for preferred view, which are more likely to be pool/water views), then the higher point cost would be "worth it."

Totally personal taste...

For us, the SV is fine. Looking out at landscaping is preferable to looking at people. From our SV rooms we are able to see DTD and the hot air balloon. Besides, we aren't in our room that much anyway.

imho, preferred BW view is worth every point (same pt cost as preferred pool/garden view).
if you go to WDW rather often, tend to relax in the room, then the BW view might be a great option. waking up with the BW in your pjs, people watching, seeing illuminations from your balcony with a loved one and maybe a glass of wine.... :cloud9:
we have had all 3 views, and now only book BW view. if it's not available, we change our dates :)

We are planning on going in August 2012 Is it worth it to go for the preferred view--105 points vs the atandard view-- 87 points. I appreciate any thoughts form the experts as we have never stayed there.

Preferred view is split into 2 categories (same points) - pool/garden view or boardwalk view. Standard view and boardwalk view are first to fill, it can be difficult at 7 months but August you may have a chance.

My 2 cents....we just got back from a week trip with 21 of us. I booked us a pref boardwalk view and everyone else a standard view. For us we never spent much time in the room or on the balconies to really make it matter. Plus after looking out the standard view, it wasn't bad at all. In the future I will be booking standard views and saving the points. That being said if you haven't done a Boardwalk view....its a must do at least once.

Have you checked out the RoomFinder Database on the DVC News web site? They have a photos of the views from many rooms. It's a good tool to check out the difference between some of the standard views versus the preferred views.

If you can get the Boardwalk View I think that is definitely worth the extra points. Other than that, I'd save the points for something else rather than look at a pool or the garden.

I've seen standard view rooms that had better or as good of views that some of the preferred pool/garden views. However, having said that I realize that we are view people. It took a couple of stays for us to realize that. We enjoy our time on our balcony. So you have to decide what type of people are you. Would you spend time on the balcony? Does the location of your room matter? Would it bother you to walk farther to save points or to get a Boardwalk view?

Good luck on getting the view of your choice.

Here's an aerial view of BWV with room categories marked.

BWVRoomViews.jpg

No one here can tell you if the Preferred View is "worth it". For some it is, for others it isn't. No right or wrong there. But you have to decide if looking at a nicely landscaped driveway is okay or not.

By the way, the aerial photo is old and there is no longer a small building in the upper section of the Preferred View - Water & Garden. It's a nice landscaped area with lawn bowling.

If you don't own at BWV, it is difficult to get the standard view. They go quickly.

In my opinion, "Standard View" is a fantastic option that really brings tons of value to owning at BWV. For example, if you have 150 points at BWV, "Standard View" will get you five additional days in a studio during Adventure or Choice Season, as compared to "Premium View" during the same seasons. This allows you to really "stretch" the value of your points if you're not picky about your setting. I'll take the additional 5 days at Disney as opposed to better views from my balcony, which I spend a total of 10 minutes per vacation looking at.

IMHO, I prefer a little bit of privacy and seclusion anyways, and if I want to see the hustle and bustle of the BW, I'd prefer to "take to the streets" and be a part of it, rather than watching from my room. Standard view would not bother me one bit. For the reasons mentioned above, I hope to be adding 70-100 points at BWV in the very near future.

I wish VWL had such an option, and quite frankly, I think the "dumpster views" at the end of the hall should come at a discount :lmao:

Here's an aerial view of BWV with room categories marked.

BWVRoomViews.jpg

No one here can tell you if the Preferred View is "worth it". For some it is, for others it isn't. No right or wrong there. But you have to decide if looking at a nicely landscaped driveway is okay or not.

By the way, the aerial photo is old and there is no longer a small building in the upper section of the Preferred View - Water & Garden. It's a nice landscaped area with lawn bowling.

what a nice contribution! thanks.

I just had my choice today between a standard and a preferred view studio for 6/15 - 6/18. I took standard. I heard they are hard to come by, so curiosity got the best of me. No boardwalk views available. My DH is not a view person and likes to be away from a lot of hub bub, so this should suit him.

I just had my choice today between a standard and a preferred view studio for 6/15 - 6/18. I took standard. I heard they are hard to come by, so curiosity got the best of me. No boardwalk views available. My DH is not a view person and likes to be away from a lot of hub bub, so this should suit him.

I think you'll be very happy with the standard view. I'm a view/balcony person and I can't say I've every had a std view that I was not pleased with. The one downside is that std rooms can be at the far end of the long hallway. But that will make an easy walk to DHS and you'll be close to the stairway that will lead you to the walkway and the BWV bus stop.

We love the boardwalk view and would highly recommend spending the additional points for that location. The view is incredible and being able to watch all the activity is amazing. Of course it is only worth it if you are going to spend time enjoying the view. Now if your only choice is preferred or standard I would choose standard and save the points. I don't think there is much of a difference between these two.

If you don't own at BWV, it is difficult to get the standard view. They go quickly.

I agree. I added on BWV just to book the standard rooms at the 11 month window. I'm a point miser and own at BWV and BLT just for the standard rooms to save and stretch the points.

OP, while it's not impossible for a standard room to pop up at the 7 month window, generally the 1 bedroom standard is the easist to get. Since all of the 2 bedrooms are lock-offs, many standard studios get booked quickly, leaving the other half available.

OP, I think your choice may be made for you when you call and find out what's available. Standard only makes up 20% of this resort.

I'm currently booking my 2 week Oct. 2012 reservation with a standard studio and am nervous I may not get it at the 11 month window. So far, so good -- I still have a few more days to add.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter