• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV standard July 1-10

How did you do the lovely panoramic view? Looking into getting this camera. Also where were you to get this view?

Sony has an amazingly simple, yet effective, intilligent panoramic mode built into the camera. You set the mode dial, press the shutter and try to smoothly move left to right, and then the camera stitches everything together.
For this trip, I just had the camera set in High Resolution panoramic mode. In HR mode you turn the camera sideways/portrait click and move to get a resulting 4000x10,000 pixel image.
The panoramic photos do occasionally produce strange artifacts or weird people as it stitches the pictures together if there is movement while shooting or objects are too close.

Both of those pictures were taken on the balcony of the train station. I chose to be slightly off-center so the castle was not blocked by the flag pole.

I love the pictures! :worship:

This camera looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks so much for sharing and it looks like you all had a great trip.

What beautiful photos! We love the BWV, and you made me homesick. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

I love the pictures! :worship:

This camera looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks so much for sharing and it looks like you all had a great trip.

Thank you!

What beautiful photos! We love the BWV, and you made me homesick. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Thank you!
The Boardwalk tried to give me one last photo as I was packing the car...

DSC02498.jpg

But the camera was cold from being in the A/C all night and the lens fogged up as it hit the humid morning air.
The foggy effect is almost nice, but I think I needed to still adjust the angle I was shooting from. unfortunately it kept getting more foggy. By the time the lens cleared up, the lighting changed due to an approaching storm.

Thank you so much for posting these HX-30 photos. There's a 75% chance we'll be headed back in September *2013*, so I started looking at getting a new camera to get me different/better images compared to those I got from my Canon SD1200IS from our 2010 trip. (Un?)fortunately, I found the HX-30 today, and now I'm nearly sold on buying it, even though I KNOW something else will come along before our trip. It's a neat looking camera though!

I think my biggest concerns at this point are:
1. Low light quality (too noisy), but your examples look very good. Unless a bunch of your 2000 unposted photos turned out noisy and grainy?
2. Camera size. My Canon slips in and out of my pocket really easily in the parks and it's really convenient to use. I'm a big afraid that this camera (which is twice as thick) won't slip out of the pocket as easily (or worse, create unsightly camera-bulge!).

Thoughts on touring at WDW with this thing?

Thank you so much for posting these HX-30 photos. There's a 75% chance we'll be headed back in September *2013*, so I started looking at getting a new camera to get me different/better images compared to those I got from my Canon SD1200IS from our 2010 trip. (Un?)fortunately, I found the HX-30 today, and now I'm nearly sold on buying it, even though I KNOW something else will come along before our trip. It's a neat looking camera though!

I think my biggest concerns at this point are:
1. Low light quality (too noisy), but your examples look very good. Unless a bunch of your 2000 unposted photos turned out noisy and grainy?
2. Camera size. My Canon slips in and out of my pocket really easily in the parks and it's really convenient to use. I'm a big afraid that this camera (which is twice as thick) won't slip out of the pocket as easily (or worse, create unsightly camera-bulge!).

Thoughts on touring at WDW with this thing?
You're welcome.

1) most of my pictures were good,( I had a lot of pictures of DS, and I don't get into posting those. ). And there were times like LMA where I used too much zoom and wound up getting nice pictures of empty pavement because I didn't follow the action well enough :). But yes, I did have more dark ride picture misses than hits. *A lot of that was motion related. *(dark pictures are easy if you have a tripod and a static subject)..a boat would bump a rail when I started to take a picture, or in FOTLK, the tumble Monkeys seemed impossible to catch... I now notice that zoomed pictures worked better in my camera.(a bit odd, the lens has a higher *f/ value, but I guess image stabilization works better with less to track)

2) I always use a small belt mounted camera bag, that also lets me carry an extra battery, memory card and a few ziplock bags for wet rides...so the bulk does not bother me. *In fact I prefer a bit of bulk because I can hold it more steady than say, my iPhone. *(I prefer a belt clip for I'm iPhone vs pocket, too so I may be a bit weird)

But I'm a firm believer that there is no best camera, just best for a specific person. *I think the Sony has great video and great Auto modes ( and it does have manual controls when i want to play more) *that gives pictures that look really nice straight from the camera. But there seem to be others that produce better images after post processing, if you like that.
For thinner cameras with zoom I would look at the Canon SX-260 and Panasonic ZS30 and 20. *Wihin pocketable cameras, If you do not need zoom, the Canon s95 and s100 do better at low light. *The Sony RX100 would do even better yet in low light..
Start looking at reviews at dpreview.com

Have fun camera hunting!

I must admit, after having 2x-5x zoom on Kilimanjaro Safaris for several trips, I'm really excited about having better zoom! That's narrowed me down to the "travel zoom" cameras. I've spent the whole weekend watching the Olympics and reading dpreview (and many, many others).

My conclusion is that, for me, the HX30 makes the most sense, but you make a good point about it being a very personal decision. I also have to keep in mind that I'm not buying a dSLR. I can't afford one. I don't know how to use one. And it won't fit in my pocket. With that in mind, it's easier to accept that there are limitations to the picture quality on P&S sensors. Once I do that and start looking at the great pictures and awesome sample videos floating around, the quicker I can open my wallet and start making good pictures!

Thanks again.
:goodvibes

Great Review! We have rented points and are staying on property for the 1st time at BWV next May. We got a standard view so I'm interested in finding out what kind of view we might end up with. I have to agree with the other posters about you pics, they are beautiful!

Awesome report; I really enjoyed your pictures.

Question: on average, about how many shots do you think you captured on a single battery charge? I recently bought the HX20 and took it on a trial run this past weekend, but didn't achieve anywhere near the 320 shots the manual boasts under CIPA conditions. Just trying to figure out the best way to maximize my battery life.

Great Review! We have rented points and are staying on property for the 1st time at BWV next May. We got a standard view so I'm interested in finding out what kind of view we might end up with. I have to agree with the other posters about you pics, they are beautiful!
Thanks! I hope you have a great stay!

Awesome report; I really enjoyed your pictures.

Question: on average, about how many shots do you think you captured on a single battery charge? I recently bought the HX20 and took it on a trial run this past weekend, but didn't achieve anywhere near the 320 shots the manual boasts under CIPA conditions. Just trying to figure out the best way to maximize my battery life.
I never made a complete count. I think i was averaging 150 pictures a day plus some video and reviewing,
and only once or twice did i ever switch to my backup batteries. (we usually had an afternoon nap where i recharged)
I did keep my GPS off (I didn't want to run out of battery and miss the 3rd and 4th of July fireworks) and there were very few pictures with flash.

These are the cheap backup batteries plus charger I bought: http://amzn.com/B0032GWZXE
They have worked very well for me since the trip (they were new for the trip so I mostly stayed with the Sony battery.). As an added bonus, the ones I received conform to Sony's info-lithium spec, so the battery life meter shows minutes remaining, starting around 150, instead of the 4-step battery icon that the stock Sony battery shows! Of course with something that cheap, you may get what you pay for (basically nothing, but you're not out much either). I bought a memory card at the same time so the combined order qualified for free shipping, but they were shipped in seperate packages.

Very cool, thanks for the tips.

I'll probably stick to the Sony brand for a backup battery, due to bad luck with generic brands in the past.

The view at Disney are quite AMAZING! I am thrilled to see all of the success of the guests that visit and have great feedback! Awesome pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter