BWV Boardwalk View Oversold?

aoconnor

WDW Nut
Checked into BWV yesterday and was supposed to have a Boardwalk View studio. I was downgraded to a Pool/ Garden view because the Boardwalk View rooms were “oversold”. Huh? You’d think that the system would know how many there are. I guess it’s probably due to a unit out for maintenance, anyone hear of this before?

They are refunding me the point difference between Standard and Boardwalk view, but they’re going into holding so not sure what I’ll really be able to do with them. Oh well!

They are refunding me the point difference between Standard and Boardwalk view, but they’re going into holding so not sure what I’ll really be able to do with them. Oh well!

That should not be happening. Call MS, explain the situation, and ask politely for them to fix it (remove from holding) since it was not your mistake.

ETA: Wait until after the points appear back in your account before asking them to fix it. Also, if you are past your banking deadline for those points, they should waive that too (if you desire to bank them).

I rented out some BWV points a couple years back and booked a boardwalk 2 bedroom for the renters. A few weeks before the reservation, dvc called and said the same thing - boardwalk view was overbooked and move them to pool/garden view. I didn’t get any points back, so consider yourself lucky!

I rented out some BWV points a couple years back and booked a boardwalk 2 bedroom for the renters. A few weeks before the reservation, dvc called and said the same thing - boardwalk view was overbooked and move them to pool/garden view. I didn’t get any points back, so consider yourself lucky!

Pool/Garden view and Boardwalk view cost the same number of points so you wouldn't get a refund. The OP was moved to standard view so a refund was due.

I agree with the other posts that the OP should call MS as it was not his/her fault that the reservation was changed and less points used so the points should go to the UY they came from and if it is after the banking deadline banked for the OP as well.

Pool/Garden view and Boardwalk view cost the same number of points so you wouldn't get a refund. The OP was moved to standard view so a refund was due.

I agree with the other posts that the OP should call MS as it was not his/her fault that the reservation was changed and less points used so the points should go to the UY they came from and if it is after the banking deadline banked for the OP as well.

The op stated they were moved to a pool/garden view villa in the original post, but they were refunded points anyway!

This has happened to us too. We had booked a boardwalk view studio and it was unavailable. However, they moved us to a one bedroom garden-view which worked out for us because we only had four people and didn’t need the fifth bed. We didn’t mind but of course that is actually an upgrade for the inconvenience. We ended up over village green so could still see the boardwalk. I don’t know how I would feel about being moved to a lesser view without warning and not really being properly compensated. If you have five people though I’m not really sure if they can even do that.

Yikes, I am not sure how happy I would be about this at all. I completely understand that things happen, but I would be very disappointed not to have a boardwalk view if that was what I was expecting. We like to spend time at night on our balcony enjoying the boardwalk down below. For us that is far of our vacation experience.

We have a boardwalk view 1-bedroom booked for Sept. I would not be happy at all. I enjoy getting up with a cup of coffee and watching all the happening on the BW early morning. The lake look likes a sheet of glass before the friendship boats start stirring it up!!

Sounds odd. I suppose if something was wrong with a room, needing fixing or such, ok. But a VIP, that is not cool. Sounds like they might be overbooking them or something else.

I would have definitely been a pain in the but over this. A manager would have been called and much ado would have been made, in a polite way, about a move like this. It’s impossible to believe that there would not be one boardwalk view room left. Having traveled for over 30 years on business before retirement I can tell you that hotels that need to make changes will start with one person and if that doesn’t go well and there is too much protestations they will move down the line to find someone who will put up with it. If there was in deed absolutely positively no boardwalk view left anywhere then I would have expected the front desk to get on with DVc Immediately and get my points back due to the inconvenience or at least some portion of points refunded immediately and certainly not into holding. And I would have asked for fast passes be placed immediately into the accounts of all parties. And maybe even a credit of some sort to accommodate this shift. Asking too much? Who cares. There should be some compensation for customer inconvenience. Most hotels other than Disney understand this.

I would have definitely been a pain in the but over this. A manager would have been called and much ado would have been made, in a polite way, about a move like this. It’s impossible to believe that there would not be one boardwalk view room left. Having traveled for over 30 years on business before retirement I can tell you that hotels that need to make changes will start with one person and if that doesn’t go well and there is too much protestations they will move down the line to find someone who will put up with it. If there was in deed absolutely positively no boardwalk view left anywhere then I would have expected the front desk to get on with DVc Immediately and get my points back due to the inconvenience or at least some portion of points refunded immediately and certainly not into holding. And I would have asked for fast passes be placed immediately into the accounts of all parties. And maybe even a credit of some sort to accommodate this shift. Asking too much? Who cares. There should be some compensation for customer inconvenience. Most hotels other than Disney understand this.
Ya, I think something is up with this practice. I think if they bump you from your boardwalk view they should offer you a nice room on the inn side in club level. Or another room and give your party the club level access.

It may Not be cool but does happen and the VIP may need more than one room or rooms. DVC isn't the same as a cash paying guest and the policies are different no matter what you are told. We have had room maintenance issues in the past and we were told at the front desk that because we are DVC they wouldn't move us to a non-DVC room and there were not any boardwalk view rooms available. We had no choice but to keep the room, they did give us a white chocolate picture of the boardwalk resort as a peace offering.

:earsboy: Bill

I think it all depends on the situation and manager. A few years ago, our studio at VWL flooded, and they moved us to a club level room at the hotel for the duration of our stay. I considered that more than a reasonable compensation.

Last year we had a studio club level booked. Normally DVC stays on the 6th floor but for whatever reason we got bumped to 5th I think it was.

For the inconvenience they credited our account $200. As we now got a savanna view on the hotel side I asked to get the point difference refunded as well. Points went into holding, iirc I told MS to remove them from holding and they did.

If I was bumped to another type of room I would also be a pain and ask for compensation.

It may Not be cool but does happen and the VIP may need more than one room or rooms. DVC isn't the same as a cash paying guest and the policies are different no matter what you are told. We have had room maintenance issues in the past and we were told at the front desk that because we are DVC they wouldn't move us to a non-DVC room and there were not any boardwalk view rooms available. We had no choice but to keep the room, they did give us a white chocolate picture of the boardwalk resort as a peace offering.

:earsboy: Bill
I would have been just fine in the room, but would have ask if we could have access to the lounge.

Last year we had a studio club level booked. Normally DVC stays on the 6th floor but for whatever reason we got bumped to 5th I think it was.

For the inconvenience they credited our account $200. As we now got a savanna view on the hotel side I asked to get the point difference refunded as well. Points went into holding, iirc I told MS to remove them from holding and they did.

If I was bumped to another type of room I would also be a pain and ask for compensation.

We had a similar experience last September. Booked a AKV Jambo club level studio for 1 night and upon check in they said that room wasn't available and we had been upgraded to the two-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bath Royal Kuba Vice Presidential Suite. It's listed as 1,619 square feet was also located on the 5th floor. That had to give us a separate key card to access the club level on the elevator and laundry room as they couldn't add it to our MBs for some reason. The points for the stay ending up showing up as Holding but disappeared about a month later.

Last edited:
We had a similar experience last September. Booked a AKV Jambo club level studio for 1 night and upon check in they said that room wasn't available and we had been upgraded to the two-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bath Royal Kuba Vice Presidential Suite. It's listed as 1,619 square feet was also located on the 5th floor. That had to give us a separate key card to access the club level on the elevator and laundry room as they couldn't add it to our MBs for some reason. The points for the stay ending up showing up as Holding but disappeared about a month later.

WOW - that's an amazing upgrade!!! I would've loved seeing your faces entering the suite!! (I danced, cried, & hugged the CM who accompanied us when we were moved from a BW view studio, to a BWV Village Green 1bdrm :banana:).
:thumbsup2

We also had a similar experience with a 1br club level for our 20th Anniversary! We ended up in the two br Royal Asante Suite!! We still had access to club level. We had invited a couple that were CM’s at the time to sleep on the pull out in the LR and spend the days with us at the pool and they ended up with there own br!
All 4 of us were so shocked!! It was an amazing time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter