BWV 2 bedroom capacity. help me understand

guppy1013

Mouseketeer
A deluxe studio at Boardwalk fits 5. (Queen, sleeper sofa for 2, pull down for 1).
The one bedroom at Boardwalk fits 4, and from the website: Exclusive to Members Booking with Points: 5th Guest can be accommodated, but no additional bedding, linens or towels will be provided.

But a 2 bedroom cannot have 10 people on the reservation. They are all lock-offs at BWV. This math doesn't make sense.

Correct. Once it is booked as a 2BR lockoff, they don't alloww the BYOB option for the 10th.

Even the original capacity of eight is a stretch in the 2nd Gen resorts (BWV, VWL, BCV, SSR).

The issue is that the connecting door between the units is in the living area. So you wouldn't want someone sleeping on an inflatable mattress on the floor right there.

Around 2008, DVC started building resorts where the one bedroom villas could sleep 5 guests. Newer rooms had a king bed, queen sofa bed and a twin bed that was either a pull-down or convertible chair.

Ostensibly to streamline capacities, they permitted 5 guests in older resorts that were only designed to sleep 4. Perhaps there was some fear that the higher capacity would cause demand for the newer properties to spike. Some older resorts have since been modified to actually sleep 5 (SSR, OKW come to mind.) But others have design issues which prevent the addition of the extra twin.

I could see the 10-in-1-two-bedroom going either direction. DVC could have extended the exception to those rooms...but 10 people in a 2BR is objectively pretty crowded. Some wouldn't mind, especially with small kids. But DVC made the original exception so we're bound by their guidelines.

I think even before the advent of the pull out chair, you could bring an air mattress to sleep five legally in a one bedroom.

I tend to be a little of the "hey if you want to stuff a hotel room, go for it" school of thought, but DVC sets the capacity limits and for whatever reason (LadybugsMum's connecting door would be blocked sounds good), they've set it up this way. I'm also of the "eight in a Grand Villa is too much togetherness" school of thought, but I think its a personal preference and tolerance thing - some people can put five in a studio with one bathroom and have a great time, other people really thing the extra bathrooms at Kidani are essential to any trip that involves more than two people - I'm more of the second type now, but I remember college hotel stays where you needed to be careful where you stepped going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, because most of the floor space was taken that were great fun at the time.

DVC does set the capacity limits, they don't need to make sense, and it is, IMHO, not worth worrying too much about them - they aren't likely to change and magic bands keep them enforced.

DVC does set the capacity limits, they don't need to make sense, and it is, IMHO, not worth worrying too much about them - they aren't likely to change and magic bands keep them enforced.
Plus, there are occupancy limits set by code, based on the square footage of the room.

Plus, there are occupancy limits set by code, based on the square footage of the room.
Yeah, but the math doesn't make sense there because the doors and square footage are the same if you have five in the studio and five in the one bedroom or if you have ten in the two bedroom. That isn't the reason on this one.

A deluxe studio at Boardwalk fits 5. (Queen, sleeper sofa for 2, pull down for 1).
The one bedroom at Boardwalk fits 4, and from the website: Exclusive to Members Booking with Points: 5th Guest can be accommodated, but no additional bedding, linens or towels will be provided.

But a 2 bedroom cannot have 10 people on the reservation. They are all lock-offs at BWV. This math doesn't make sense.
That is odd. When they initially added the murphy bed to studios at BWV, BCV and VWL they had made the occupancy 10 for those that were lock-offs. At least they definitely did at VWL and I'm relatively certain they did at all 3. I noticed either with a booking upgrade, or it might have corresponded to recent refurbs, that it changed back to 9 but I think I might have read if you call in that MS can book 10. I personally have not tried though.

Agree or not with increasing the studio to 5ppl I'd have to say it made sense when lockoffs allowed 10ppl.

It actually goes back to the early days of DVC when OKW didn’t have the sleeper chair. During sales presentations, some families of 5 balked at having to have a 2 bedroom. So the unofficial rule became 5 was ok in a 1 bedroom. If you go back to discussions of this long ago on this board, it was a heated discussion that the contract said 4 but DVC was unofficially allowing 5. Were they rule breakers? Were verbal statements by guides enforceable? It extended into the 1 bedrooms of BWV, BR and BCV as they were built. It became a moot point at OKW when they added the sleeper chair. But what about the other 3. Eventually they added the wording that it was allowed but without extra bedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter