BWI or Dolphin, if same price

Originally posted by dreamflight99
Wonderful points, TIFF! Especially the FREE internet service!! ::yes:: Oh, I too LOVE the fountain (Great food: cheese sandwiches, burgers...chicken strips and a knock-out chicken ceaser salad also served in a fresh bread bowl!).

I wanted to ask you how you like those NEW shower curtain rods?! Aren't they just the coolest thing since sliced bread? I can not believe the amount of extra room you have to move around, as opposed to the "conventional" type offered at every other resort on property. It's these little "magical" touches which continue to make the WDW Dolphin a WINNER!! *(Storing our surf boards for more than a year didn't hurt much either!) LOL...;) I love the slate tile at the entrance to every room/bath, and the new colors/design for the renovated rooms. Fresh and inviting!

P.S. I discovered the curtain rods in our Delta SKY magazine on the return flight for $49. I have two such tubs on my home (a total of five full baths) and ordered them for these locations pronto! Anyone staying in the guest house will appreciate the extra room, and innovative design. :cool:

TTFN....DF99 :wave2:

Hi DF,

Yes the curtain rods are great. My husband and I were commenting on them. We are going to be redoing our bathroom within a year or so and I have made a note about them. I have never seen rounded shower curtain rods before.

Yes the title is great also.

I've been staying at the Swan/Dolphin since Nov. 2000, and I love it there! The Heavenly beds are to die for, and I'm thrilled to read that the bathrooms now have curved shower rods. (Hoping all the rooms have that now, as mine didn't in March.) I'll be back to my favorite - the Swan - in less than 5 weeks. :teeth:

Originally posted by 4DisneyfansinNC
Do all the rooms at the Dolphin have the Heavenly beds?

Yes they do. I believe they are called "Sweet Sleeper" on the Dolphin side but they are beds to die for.

It's SO good to see you!!~:hug: I'm still hanging around here...:teeth: and enjoying the Dolphin as much as ever!! I've been thinking of you lately, as DD and I are visiting England/Paris in November. I recall the time a couple years back, when you and your DH visited for your anniversary!! PM with some suggestions if you have the time (Or would like). ;) I'm sure the shower curtains are up in all the rooms now. It's an amazingly wonderful contraption...and lends SO much more freedom to an ordinary bathtub-type shower! :)

Tiffany~That is what they are supposed to be (Sweet Sleeper), as they are in ALL of the Sheraton Properties! BUT...in the WDW DOLPHIN, they are actually the SAME as the SWAN...and are the famous HEAVENLY BEDS (which are in all the Westin named properties). In fact, the WDW Dolphin is the only Sheraton property in all the world to have the HEAVENLY BED!! I'm glad you are enjoying it! ::yes::

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

Originally posted by 4DisneyfansinNC
Anyone have a pic of this shower curtain you're all getting excited about? I can't seem to picture it. Thanks!
102104932x.jpg
You can buy it/check it out online @ www.skymall.com (*$39.95 for the white, and $10 more for stainless). Key word is "shower extender" or use item number ACO104 (to bring up the item). It's a FABULOUS item!! Absolutely ingenious! :)

*Here's the product description:

Do You Feel Cramped In Your Shower?
This curved rod will add 6" in comforting depth to the center of your shower area. Because it curves outward from each end, your shower curtain will stay safely inside the rim of your tub while giving you the additional space you always wanted while showering. The 1" rod comes with adjustable brackets for easy assembly on any standard or oval 60" tub, adjusts from 57 3/4" to 61". Includes cast zinc brackets, bracket covers, mounting hardware, tile and sheetrock anchors.

Hope this helps!!

DF99 :wave2:

Originally posted by dreamflight99
Tiffany~That is what they are supposed to be (Sweet Sleeper), as they are in ALL of the Sheraton Properties! BUT...in the WDW DOLPHIN, they are actually the SAME as the SWAN...and are the famous HEAVENLY BEDS (which are in all the Westin named properties). In fact, the WDW Dolphin is the only Sheraton property in all the world to have the HEAVENLY BED!! I'm glad you are enjoying it! ::yes::

TTFN...DF99 :wave2: [/B]

Hi DF99,

Thanks for the clarification. The bed, no matter what it is called, is out of this world.

Originally posted by Tiffany
Hi DF99,

Thanks for the clarification. The bed, no matter what it is called, is out of this world.
Oh...I agree Tiff, it makes me want to STAY in and under the plush covers....all morning loooong!! :eek: :rolleyes: It truly IS like sleeping on a big billowy-soft cloud!

Since we sleep on a wonderful (& heavenly) Stearns & Foster at home, I merely purchased ALL the bedding accessories (everything from the sheets, to the pillows/cases, duvet and feather comforter)...so each day I awake, it's like being at the DOLPHIN in WDW in my HEAVENLY BED!!! AND...I did it for DD as well!! (Yup...I'm pretty addicted to those beds!). :teeth:

The entire SET is available...everything from the special patented SEALY mattress, to all the things mentioned above. Just ask at the front desk for a list, and the instructions are on there. The shipping fees are nominal considering WHAT you get!! What a CHRISTMAS GIFT to yourself...your own "RESORT @ HOME" Heavenly Bed/bedding!! ::yes::
Highly recommended...

DF99 :wave2:

Popping in with my vote - S/D of course!!!

Add BLT to the yummies at the Dolphin Fountain -- my fav- ----on wheat, toasted, bacon crisp please! :D

The curved shower rod seems to be such a small thing but it isn't - it is awesome and you do notice the difference in space.

I have stayed at the BWI and did enjoy it but that was pre S/D stays. The problem with the BWI, IMHO, is the lack of a restaurant or food service area in the resort (except for the continental breakfast served in the Lobby each morning). You have to go out onto the Boardwalk. There are times when I just like to stay within the resort to access food.

:wave2: Hi, DF

Honestly? I'd choose the S/D. The BoardWalk did nothing for me. It's all about personal prefs!

LOL!!!! I LOVE it!!!!::yes::

OK....looks like everything's been pointed out, except that the S/D have the BEST ROOM SERVICE/FOOD on property!
hands down!:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Love the beds, the bathrooms, the SHEETS, the duvet comforter, etc....even their CL is very nice!

But ya'll know I LOVE them ALL!
Especially the concierge services and suites!!!!!;) :p :sunny:

BTW...did anybody ever reveal how they got the BWI for the same price as the S/D????:crazy:

Thanks everyone for such great info. I've booked both the Dolphin and BWI and it looks like this will be a tough call. I got the same price because we got a convention rate at BWI (my husband has a meeting) and we got the Entertainment rate at the Dolphin (there was no standard room available when we are going, which is 2/20-27/05, so we we booked a deluxe room -- those end up about the same -- $209. I know that this is a great rate for BWI but am still hoping for a deeper Dolphin discount, which might help me make my decision. We are SPG gold members so we'd get an automatic upgrade at the Dolphin and would consider using points to bump up to club. Thanks again for all the great info. We are soooooo looking forward to this trip.

I have stayed at BWI before and just recently the Dolphin. I was not impressed with the Dolphin AT ALL and ended up only stayed there one night. You might like it because they cater to conventions but here is no disney magic and I thought everyone on their staff needed to SMILE!!! No one smiled - they were all polite I guess but no smiling - way too serious for me.

The lobby was very nice (not as nice as BWI) but the upstairs hallways were gross. Pulled up dirty, frayed and bumpy carpet. Dirty walls, cheesy beach umbrella murals on the hallways. The rooms are very small. The tub/toilet area is SO small and the only place to change in private. No fan in the tub/toilet room either. Very strange. The TV was so out or reception, our room was dirty. Sand on the sheets, dark hairs in the tub, toothpaste spots on the sink, crumbs on the floor. We called down and weren't even offered another room - just that housekeeping would be up within an hour. Well after 50min my DH went down to front desk and had to argue his way for another room - no apologies, no upgrade. Horrible service. Half the hotel was empty too per what the front desk said - so why the delay?? - ugh - it was like pulling teeth. That would have never happened at Disney.

Also the heavenly beds I guess are nice if you have never stayed at a Westin but they are not the same beds - at least not washed ot treated the same. Our sheets were scratchy and felt like that hard bleach wash. The duvet and pillows were not nearly as nice or plump as the ones we had at Palm Springs Westin. Our bed at OKW was much more comfortable.

BWI has a better atmosphere and more surrounding it. The staff is so friendly as are all the Disney resorts.

For the same price, there is no question the Boardwalk is your best bet. For that price, I would jump on it. I paid $139 for Dolphin and thought I overpaid!! The Port Orleans is a nicer hotel for less than that! I will nver stay at Dolphin again

Originally posted by Suzanne74
I have stayed at BWI before and just recently the Dolphin. I was not impressed with the Dolphin AT ALL and ended up only stayed there one night. You might like it because they cater to conventions but here is no disney magic and I thought everyone on their staff needed to SMILE!!! No one smiled - they were all polite I guess but no smiling - way too serious for me.

The lobby was very nice (not as nice as BWI) but the upstairs hallways were gross. Pulled up dirty, frayed and bumpy carpet. Dirty walls, cheesy beach umbrella murals on the hallways. The rooms are very small. The tub/toilet area is SO small and the only place to change in private. No fan in the tub/toilet room either. Very strange. The TV was so out or reception, our room was dirty. Sand on the sheets, dark hairs in the tub, toothpaste spots on the sink, crumbs on the floor. We called down and weren't even offered another room - just that housekeeping would be up within an hour. Well after 50min my DH went down to front desk and had to argue his way for another room - no apologies, no upgrade. Horrible service. Half the hotel was empty too per what the front desk said - so why the delay?? - ugh - it was like pulling teeth. That would have never happened at Disney.

Also the heavenly beds I guess are nice if you have never stayed at a Westin but they are not the same beds - at least not washed ot treated the same. Our sheets were scratchy and felt like that hard bleach wash. The duvet and pillows were not nearly as nice or plump as the ones we had at Palm Springs Westin. Our bed at OKW was much more comfortable.

BWI has a better atmosphere and more surrounding it. The staff is so friendly as are all the Disney resorts.

For the same price, there is no question the Boardwalk is your best bet. For that price, I would jump on it. I paid $139 for Dolphin and thought I overpaid!! The Port Orleans is a nicer hotel for less than that! I will nver stay at Dolphin again

WOW!! Talk about different experiances. We are at the Dolphin right now, on our afternoon pool and nap break, and while I agree that the hallways are in need of renovation that is a known issue and they are in the process of being redone.

Maybe we have just been lucky but all of the staff we have encountered have been great. No better but no worse then the staffs at the Disney owned resorts we have encountered over the years.

Oh well, that is what is great about Disney so many differant resorts for different types of people.

Originally posted by GettinReadyforDisney
... I got the same price because we got a convention rate at BWI (my husband has a meeting) and we got the Entertainment rate at the Dolphin (there was no standard room available when we are going, which is 2/20-27/05, so we we booked a deluxe room -- those end up about the same -- $209. ...

I'm not sure what kind of deluxe room you got, but my in-laws had an executive suite on our last trip and it was awesome!!!

By the way, the Dolphin is in the process of redoing the hallways. We also have had great luck on two trips being compensated for any minor problems--we received a $15 credit because they had to rekey our room. We were in our room at the time, so it was not an inconvenience.

Originally posted by Tiffany
WOW!! Talk about different experiances. We are at the Dolphin right now, on our afternoon pool and nap break, and while I agree that the hallways are in need of renovation that is a known issue and they are in the process of being redone.
ABSOLUTELY!~And here are the PICS from the fully renovated 9th floor of the EAST wing at the Dolphin (*Tiff...take a ride up and PEEK!):

Looks like a beautifully detailed and trimmed rug, laying atop TILE!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c4cf983210000001610

That TILE is CARPET!! Soft...clean...& VIBRANTLY NEW~!!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c4f2742560000001610

Walls and Wainscot tastefully completed as well...
47b4d733b3127cceb63c421b02f40000001610

Elegant look of perfectly laid TILE...
47b4d733b3127cceb63c4d7dc33d0000001610

Gazing down another hallway...
47b4d733b3127cceb63c4671029c0000001610

My camera kept returning to the TROMP Loeil Image!!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c447802940000001610

Wallpaper uses subtle starfish as a pattern...
47b4d733b3127cceb63c5a0d02ee0000001610

If I wasn't STANDING on top of it...I would have SWORN it was MARBLE!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c5e2283f30000001610

Inviting...it even has that NEW~NEW~NEW Carpet SMELL!! Mmmmm!!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c5c2602c60000001610

Elevator MATISSE!!! I couldn't RESIST!! :teeth:
47b4d733b3127cceb63c5d72420a0000001610

The OLD standard...(I'll miss this WHIMSEY!)
47b4d733b3127cceb63c529d027a0000001610

I've never seen such FUN carpets/halls in all the WORLD!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c511642680000001610

Familiar scenes...
47b4d733b3127cceb63c563683e30000001610

Cabana Doors...
47b4d733b3127cceb63c546e028a0000001610

Billowy Cloud Wall Sconces...(Okay, I admit...I bought a couple of these for the memories!) LOL!
47b4d733b3127cceb63c511dc3530000001610

As much as things in life constantly change, the more they stay the same. For us...the ESSENCE of the Dolphin remains under every new coat of paint and fiber of carpet. We have shared SO many wonderful family times in this resort...our laughter and resounding happiness resonates/echoes through the halls even when we are miles away. Each time we return, we recapture these memories as we glide through the front door underneath the shooting stars. The timeless aura captivates and envelops us with a blanket woven with infinite glimpses of the past, and threads of desire for what's to come. We will never tire of this property, nor of these scenes. The Dolphin represents a blessed and sacred bridge to our past, linking the summers of our lives with the present. It's ingrained in our FAMILY. And, as much as we leave molecules of ourselves behind each visit, we also capture a part of the same stardust within our souls (*taking it home with us). This realization is comforting, and reassuring. Continuity...like the ebbing tide...is never to be underestimated. The desire...and secret, lies in the yearning. It's not so much the destination, as it is the journey. After all...to IMAGINE...is EVERYTHING. ::yes::

(Deepak) DF99...LOL! :wave2:

Oh, DF, thanks for the pix of the new halls. However, the pics of the old generated such a warm and fuzzy feeling of our family memories walking through these whimsical halls. I can hear the laughter as my DBro and his family and my family cavorted down the hall to the elevator singing ZippedeeDoDah ZippedeeAY or the knocking on the cabana-like door encouraging everyone to "hurry up we're in Disney World - let's get going!" We all become children at heart and in spirit.

It truly is about the journey - the emotion and the satisfaction of being in such a wonderful World.

I've stayed at both. I really don't like the feel at BWI. I know it's a personal thing. I also HATE clowns.

Dolphin definately has the WOW factor. It feels magical to me and the pool is awesome!

DF- I would love to know more about that "close parking" you mentioned!

Hi DF99,

Thanks for the heads up on which halls have been redone. We are going to take a ride up tomorrow. I do like the current halls though. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter