BWI 7-7 thru 7-14

ZebraDomeCrazy

Silliness is one of my best qualities!
We got back from a seven day stay at Boardwalk Inn. Me, DH, DD11, DS13. This was our first time staying at the Boardwalk, and only booked that hotel because of AP rates. After seven nights, I am still mixed on this hotel. I will begin with the negatives, so that I end on a positive note!

Negatives;

1. We booked standard room. We got room 1342, first floor. It was approximately eight miles from the lobby. The CM at the front desk told us to take the elevator down to first floor and follow hallways to room. Side note - this hotel somehow reminded me of "The Shining" :confused3 - at every turn of the hall I kept expecting to see those two little girls! Scary!!. Anyway, the room itself was very large (plus), but very old and not in the best shape. There was wallpaper peeling off the walls, the bathroom was awful (rust on toilet, tub looked like the finished had been scrubbed off of it). Something before us checking in must have happened in the room, because there was a large wet area on the carpet, that apparantly had been cleaned, because there was carpet fresh stuff on the carpet still. It took about two days to dry! On a good note, when the bellman brought us our bags, he told us to never take the hallway back, and showed us a HUGE shortcut outside of our door through a beautiful courtyard that brought us right back to the original elevators near the lobby in about a minute! I don't know why the desk didn't tell us that.
2. No Food Court!!! - I kow that there are many many food choices here, but no food court. Let me explain - Outside on the Boardwalk, there are plenty of choices, and only a few small tables near each of these choices. With four of us, of course everyone picked differently, which meant my husband and I standing on different lines, paying separately, kids trying to grab a table, us deliverying food to them, then me standing on a third line for my choice, and by the time I come back to table they are finished eating,a nd I have to rush through mine! When you go through the food courts, we all choose differently, but still pay and exit to sit together, so it still feels like a family meal. Also, as we all know too well, in July every afternoon it rains. Which adds to the fun of trying to get this food and get a table under an awning. I could go on, but I know, it's enough, so I will contain myself.
3. Buses!! Ok - before you all yell, I know that you only need the buses for MK and AK. We were given tips on the boards about getting off of the bus at the Swan and walking back to the Boardwalk. We did this for the buses, and also ended up doing this for the boats - they are even slower unloading than the buses. Well, as much as that does work - I just don't want to have to do it! I am not lazy, out of shape or anything like that. I just think that for a deluxe hotel with a deluxe price tag, you shouldn't have to share buses with what ends up being 5 hotels. (yes, they stop at each - Swan,Dolphin, Yacht,Beach,Boardwalk, separately!).

Okay - for the Positives -
1. Walking to Epcot is really fantastic! What a plus! Actually, one night we watched Illuminations, then caught the boat to MGM and made perfect timing for Phantasmic! That was great. We never walked to MGM, although it really didn't seem that far, but the boat ride is nice.
2. There is really a lot to do at the Boardwalk. I almost think it would be a better place for an adult only trip - my husband and I try to take one without children every other trip. Jelly Rolls is great, as is Atlantic Dance. This trip we couldn't take advantage of that type of nightlife. Almost seems a waste for us to stay here. With Epcot so close, if it was just my DH and I, we surely would spend alot more time there. There is only so much time my kids are good for at the World Showcase, before they become bored.
3. The Pool is alot of fun. We actually had a quiet pool right outside of our room, and being on the first floor made this super convenient for the kids. They actually preferred the quiet pool to the big one. They basically had it to themselves everytime.
4. Community Hall - Near the other quiet pool, around back of the big pool. THey have FREE games. Ping pong, Nintendo Game Cube, Air Hockey, etc. That was alot of fun for the family together. The kids liked that even better than the arcade! Go figure - I found something they like that doesn't cost me anything in Disney - HA!
5. Room size - we had a standard room and it was huge! They could use an extra set of drawers, though. The closet was actually the largest I have seen in a hotel. We actually used it as a changing room!! I know that sounds silly, but it worked out so well for us - with DD!! and DS13 and privacy issues. AT POR they added a curtain outside of bathroom area that works very well for dressing. This closet really worked well for us, and even gave us some laughs. "I'm in the closet" became a favorite calling for me. I guess you had to be there, but I was afraid of sended someone into therapy if they accidently walked in on me. :rotfl2:
So Overall - while the Boardwalk is quite lovely, and exciting, I am not sure if I would stay there again. I understand that they might be undergoing a room makeover soon. That is surely due. Also, a food court is a must. I have heard rumors of ESPN leaving that location for Downtown - maybe that could be a food court. I wish somehow they could separate the buses for these resorts. I just don't understand why the deluxes have this. If location is your priority - definitely pick this resort, (or Beach Club). If you are looking to relax at all - I would go to my all-time favorite - Animal KIngdom Lodge. I think having stayed there, it has spoiled me to all others. That is my number one favorite, for every reason. It has it all. Now I am left to look at pictures, and dream about my next trip, which has not begun to be planned yet. That is half the fun!! Bye for now, Jane :cool1:

Thanks for the pro's and con's. I'll be staying 4 nites during Easter at the BWV's, just me and my husband.

We were there from 7/1-7/9 in room 2335. I have to agree with everything you said for the pros and cons. THe AP rate is the reason we booked there also. We were originally at PORFQ. I can't say I wouldn't stay there again, but it wouldn't be a first choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter