BW or Contemporary?

linnylu

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip with my 2 children ages 10 and 14 for the week after Easter. My kids have never been to Disney. I have and stayed at CBR. I am trying to decide between the Boardwalk and Contemporary. Which would be better for kids their ages? I love the idea of walking to Epcot, but do kids like Epcot or would they prefer the monorail to MK?

A third option is POFQ. I am having the hardest time deciding, and since my DH isn't going he doesn't want to talk pros and cons with me:)

Hi!

Both of the resorts you are considering are in great locations. Where do you think you would spend the most time at - MK or EPCOT. Usually its MK - but that can depend on your kids.

From Contemporary you know you can use the monorail to get to MK. You can also take the monorail to the POLY and go to the TTC in order to get to EPCOT.

From the BW - you have a 5 min walk to EPCOT and you can also walk/take a boat to HS. The EPCOT resort area really has a lot of fun options.

If it were me picking i would pick a MK resort area (in your case Contemporary), just because that is my favorite park.

I think you could be happy with either choice. It really depends on where you want to spend most of your time when you are there.

Good Luck deciding - and Have a great trip!

-FantasiaMagic pixiedust:
-FantasiaMagic

Just got back from the Boardwalk. It was my second stay there and I absolutely love the resort. The location is so convenient to Epcot and HS. You really can't go wrong.

The Contemporary is also nice, but there is something very magical and fun about the whole Boardwalk area.

I would decided where you think the kids will want to spend most of their time - HS/Epcot or MK and decide that way.

Our boys are ages 5, 12 and 13. We like both BWI and CR. Our boys prefer and would recommend Contemporary. They like Epcot and the Epcot area resorts (BC is their favorite among those for the pool and the general atmosphere.) But at this point, they prefer the monorail and proximity to MK, so CR and Poly are at the top of their lists. I like CR because it offers such easy access to MK, the rooms are large, the decor is updated, the bay lake view is beautiful and I just love club level there.

My husband and I prefer BWI. We like Epcot, the Epcot resort area, the non-high rise resort layout and the theming at BWI. We like walking around Crescent Lake and the access to BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin shopping and restaurants. Club level at BWI is wonderful. We have tons of ADRs in Epcot and it's so much easier to walk out the International Gateway after dinner to our resort than to take the monorail to the TTC and transfer to the resort monorail to the Contemporary.

In the end, we've found the best solution is a split stay. We stay at an MK area resort when we're visiting MK and AK. Then we move to an Epcot area resort when we're spending more time in Epcot and DHS. Some people don't like to move, but it works for us!

This is tough. My parents took me to the Contemporary when I was 13 (1973). It holds a special place in my heart.

The Boardwalk now has a place there too.

We have been going there for 6 years now our girls were 10 & 11 then. I think it will always be there special place for them. It was the first place they went on their own. The Boardwalk with us watching from our Balcony.
They love being able to go down watch a street performer or play a carny game or hit the candy store.

What every choice you make all of you will make Magical Memories.

I am planning a trip with my 2 children ages 10 and 14 for the week after Easter. My kids have never been to Disney. I have and stayed at CBR. I am trying to decide between the Boardwalk and Contemporary. Which would be better for kids their ages? I love the idea of walking to Epcot, but do kids like Epcot or would they prefer the monorail to MK?

A third option is POFQ. I am having the hardest time deciding, and since my DH isn't going he doesn't want to talk pros and cons with me:)

For kids of that age, I would go with an Epcot resort. We stay at the BW often so it gets my vote.

If you decide to go with the Contemporary, there is still a lot going for it being on the monorail line and the walkway to the MK. It's classic Disney.

Stayed at Contemp. In Nov. '11 and while rooms were wonderfully large and well appointed we were surprised how any benefit we received from being on the monorail was negated by how far our room was from the main area of hotel. We had to take 2 different elevators and walk about 15-20 (no kidding!!) to get to our room.

I think either would be good, but if you plan to spend most of your time at the MK, then the Contemporary wins. When my son was 10, we stayed there and he loved the fact that the monorail runs right through the hotel.

The Boardwalk is absolutely more entertaining than the contemporary. The Contemporary is convenient to walk to the Magic Kingdom, but that is really the only thing your kids will probably enjoy about it. The BW has a more upbeat atmosphere if you're looking for something your kids will enjoy away from the parks. And it's an easy 5-10 minutes from Epcot and HS. They have shows at night, musicians, magicians, carnival type "games" on the boardwalk. You can also catch the fireworks from EPCOT at night in the right place.

We LOVE it there. :) My 3 year old just came back from an 8 day trip with my parents and the BW was probably one of his most favorite parts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter