Buying subs the day before?

kellia

DIS Veteran
Would it be ok to buy subs at night from Subway or a grocery store, then take to WDW the next day for lunch? Would they be soggy or gross?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just trying to save some money a couple of days at the parks for lunch!

Thanks! :)

I think it would be ok, if you wait on the condiments. Get drier meats. Get mayo packets, etc. from Subway (if they have them) and add when ready to eat.

The bread will probably get soggy by the meat and hard on the rest. You can pack plastic wrap and separate the meat from the bread I guess. Definitely don't add condiments.

I often get a footlong tuna sub for lunch eat 1/2 that day and save other 1/2 for the next day because the next day's lunch is only $2 that way. I get honey oat bread tuna with swiss cheese, lettuce, bell peppers, onions, carrots and jalapenos and have only had it get soggy once when the tuna seemed a little more "moist" than usual. otherwise they hold up pretty well.

Hope that helps you. Have a great trip!

:confused3 We did that for a field trip and it was a little soggy without condiments. We have leftovers a lot that we reheat in the microwave and they seem to taste better.

Using your word: "gross" :cool2: I would look for a better way to eat cheap. I personally wouldn't want to eat a sandwich that has been carried around (and possibly squished) all day in hot and humid Florida.

Perhaps eat breakfast in your hotel room (donuts, fruit, poptarts, cereal, etc), carry dry snacks like granola bars, apples (caution: don't carry bananas around in a backpack that gets squished into net pockets on rides! Been there, done that:rotfl: ). For lunch, add items to one counter service meal to make enough for 2. Perhaps order an extra bun and share the meat (Pecos Bill's at MK and/or the American pavillion counter service has bbq) - or double cheeseburgers - and then load up at the fixin's bars with lettuce, tomato, etc.

Thanks! I should add, we are leaving next week, so it won't be TOO hot! My kids are also use to eating at 11am at school.

When you go to purchase the subs, take along some baggies. Have them put the meat and cheese on the roll. The lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc go into a baggie. The baggie can be sealed put inside the roll and rolled up as normal. Would not recommend putting mayo inside the baggie with the other stuff. Use a totally seperate baggie. Once there, open up a corner of the baggie and everyone can squeeze some out onto their sub.

At fund raisers they have the meat and cheese in a bag, LTO in a second bag and mayo in a packet.

The sub would get soggy, especially if they do the V&O on them. how do you plan on keeping them cold? A sub in FL for 6 hours would be gross to me.

Why not just buy the meat at a deli and make the sub yourself? Better meat and no more work and you could actually pay less.

Thanks! I should add, we are leaving next week, so it won't be TOO hot! My kids are also use to eating at 11am at school.

Actually, it is still going to be COLD for those of us who live in Florida :eek:
The heater will likely be on in your hotel when you arrive. It's in the 40's right now and the yard maintenance guys are dressed for shoveling snow.:rotfl2:

I'd rather go to the store, buy meat, bread, cheese, and make my sandwich the day I'm going to eat it. I've tried saving sandwiches, it never seems that good the next day.

I'd rather save the time and gas it would take to get to Subway and pay a dollar more for a CS meal at WDW that I know is fresh and won't give me food poisoning. :thumbsup2

I often get a footlong tuna sub for lunch eat 1/2 that day and save other 1/2 for the next day because the next day's lunch is only $2 that way.

I do this too :thumbsup2 and my sandwich is great the next day after sitting in the fridge, but I don't think I'd want to carry my tuna sandwich around WDW all morning.

I do this, also. I've also bought the mondo sammies from WalMart and had them for lunch for three days in a row without a problem.

I do this sometimes. When I am an election judge, you can't leave the polling place during the day. So I pick up a sub the night before and take it with me in a lunchbox cooler thing. It is always fine. I usually only get something like Ham, cheese and lettuce. I would also avoid things like tuna salad or shrimp salad, etc. if you will be carrying it around very long. But if you have a little lunch bag and maybe one of those frozen ice things to keep it cold, it should be ok.

Maggie

Our family eats subs made a day prior all the time & we've never had a soggy issue (& trust me, DH does not like anything the least bit soggy). In fact, my lunch today was a left over half of a sub from my Quizno's dinner last night. It was quite tasty!

At fund raisers they have the meat and cheese in a bag, LTO in a second bag and mayo in a packet.

The sub would get soggy, especially if they do the V&O on them. how do you plan on keeping them cold? A sub in FL for 6 hours would be gross to me.

Why not just buy the meat at a deli and make the sub yourself? Better meat and no more work and you could actually pay less.

I hate to agree with the "buy ingredients and make them yourself". If you can go to Subway, that means you have a car, and I'm thinking you must have either a fridge or at least a cooler. Just run by the supermarket and buy rolls, meats, cheeses, some dressing, and voila, you have at least 2 lunches done.

Using your word: "gross" :cool2: I would look for a better way to eat cheap. I personally wouldn't want to eat a sandwich that has been carried around (and possibly squished) all day in hot and humid Florida.

Perhaps eat breakfast in your hotel room (donuts, fruit, poptarts, cereal, etc), carry dry snacks like granola bars, apples (caution: don't carry bananas around in a backpack that gets squished into net pockets on rides! Been there, done that:rotfl: ). For lunch, add items to one counter service meal to make enough for 2. Perhaps order an extra bun and share the meat (Pecos Bill's at MK and/or the American pavillion counter service has bbq) - or double cheeseburgers - and then load up at the fixin's bars with lettuce, tomato, etc.

I agree, YUCK, I won't even eat a sandwich that is a few hours old, Just a pet peeve of mine. I would find other ways to cut back.

I think they taste better the day after and soggy. Yum, I always get the tuna with veggies and oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. Then I eat 1/2 and put the other 1/2 in the fridge for the next day.
Way better the 2nd day. the oil and vinegar sink into the veggies and the tuna soaks into the bread.
Now I am going to have to go out tonight and get a sub for tomorrow.

Go to Publix in the morning and get the deli meat and fresh rolls they sell there -they have condiment packages too. if you put tomatoes or cucumbers or banana peppers on your sandwich from Subway the day before, the bread will get soggy. or you can separate the meat from the veggies in a baggie like people suggested. you cannot do the oil and vinegar dressing because the roll will definitely get saturated.
BTW with Publix it will end up cheaper and with more meat on your sandwich. They also have a custom sandwich shop where they do what Subway does. You get better quality cold cuts and bigger rolls i feel. you can get a combo there too. I like their custom sandwiches better than Subways!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter