• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying Small Resale - WLV, BWV or OKW???

DJmommy

DIS Veteran
I think we have finally decided to buy in for a small resale contract, somewhere around 50 or 75 points but we cannot decide where. We love the WL and I am sure we would like the Villas too, primarily for the location. However I like the idea of the two queen beds in OKW and the larger rooms. With such a small contract we will most likely only be staying in studios.

Could someone who has stayed at both give us the pros and cons of each resort. We have two young children and will most likely be traveling Oct or Nov. Does the fact that VWL is a much smaller DVC property affect the availablility at this time of year?

Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

TIA

Jacqueline

How hard is it to get standard view studios at BWV?

As long as you can book at 7 months, any points will get you a studio at OKW. But if you need the 11 month window, you'll want to get the points at the resort you want to stay at the most.

A very big pro for OKW is that you can usually get in at 7 months or less. That means that if you buy at some other resort, you will have the home priority there and still most likely be able to get into OKW if you want to switch at 7 months.

Proportionately there would be the same number of owners at both. But the size comes into play with how popular a certain time of the year is with owners (For example October at the BWV) and when the 7 month window opens because then all of the resorts become available to everyone. When all of the owners at the bigger resorts have a shot at getting a reservation, the smaller resorts (like VWL) can fill quickly.

HBC

VWL is very hard to get in Oct and Nov unless you are booking earlier than 7 months out. I would give this great consideration in my decision.

DH and I have stayed at both. I just asked him which one he preferred and he said VWL - more cozy and nicer decor. I agree with him.:thumbsup2
I haven't eaten at all the restaurants at both resorts but there's seems to be a better dining option at VWL. When I visited VWL it was too cold to swim but I did go down to the pool and the man-made beach, which was very nice.

It's also harder to get in at the 7month window at VWL compared to OKW which is easier to get into. So if your looking for the advantage of the 11month window than you want to buy where your going to stay at.

We have stayed at both also. We love both of them. I like the atmosphere at VWL and being able to take the boat to MK. I like the spaciousness of the rooms at OKW and my husband actually prefers OKW because it seems to be more relaxing. THe kids also love the new slide. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for. They are both great.

I think we have finally decided to buy in for a small resale contract, somewhere around 50 or 75 points but we cannot decide where. We love the WL and I am sure we would like the Villas too, primarily for the location. However I like the idea of the two queen beds in OKW and the larger rooms. With such a small contract we will most likely only be staying in studios.

Could someone who has stayed at both give us the pros and cons of each resort. We have two young children and will most likely be traveling Oct or Nov. Does the fact that VWL is a much smaller DVC property affect the availablility at this time of year?
We have stayed in both and enjoy both for different reasons. We really like WL and that's the reason we bought into DVC when they built VWL. But we have enjoyed our stays at OKW as well.

I think that the fact that you are looking at such a small contract, it would behoove you to be flexible. Those small contracts tend to be snapped up very quickly. And there will certainly be many more OKW contracts than VWL ones due to the math of their respective sizes.

Both resorts have about 34 years left on them. So even though your two children are young now, they will only be part of the "where to stay" decision for about half of your ownership. I would focus more on where you and your spouse want to stay the most. The kids should be happy with whatever choice you make...they're in WDW, after all! :)

Good luck in your resale hunt! :thumbsup2

Small contracts are hard to find and come at a premium price...I'd say to buy whatever comes up first and take your chances trying to book a stay at your favorite resorts. Be sure and call the resale brokers directly as most of the smaller contracts never make it to the website.

Thank you all for your replies. I am happy to hear that OKW is easier to get into at the 7 month window, that leaves us leaning towards VWL since we will need the home advantage for our November trips.

Another consideration now is BWV since I just became aware of the two different views. Since we will only be buying in at a small number of points, having the flexibility with the standard view would be nice to maximize our point use.

Another big question, how hard is it to book standard view studios at 11 months out for either Nov. or around Easter?

Thanks again.

....(snip)....Another big question, how hard is it to book standard view studios at 11 months out for either Nov. or around Easter?

Thanks again.
You'll need to call as soon as the 11 month window opens if you want to reserve a standard view. October, November & December are the most popular times of the year for the EPCOT DVC resorts (BCV & BWV).In fact, I would suggest you call day by day for your November vacation. You'll still need to call as soon as the 11 month window opens for Easter, but believe it or not, it's not quite as difficult to get as November & December.

The SV rooms at the BWV are about 20% of the total available at the BWV. Because of the lower point requirements and the wonderful location, they are very popular and book quickly. You really need the 11 month window to be sure of getting one.

FWIW, I am a BWV owner who loves the SV rooms. Only once did I stray - to try out the guaranteed BW view rooms (also tough to get and about 20% of the total). I've never had trouble getting a SV room when I call at 11 months.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks so much CarolMN. We will probably be leaning towards BWV now,.... at least to get our foot in the door. Hopefully in the coming years we will be able to afford an add-on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter