buying shares - halifax account

frontier_matt

Earning My Ears
based on what i was reading a few days ago, i set up an online share-dealing account with halifax.

it seems to be a pretty slick experience, so i would recommend it to anyone thinking about joining the shareholders club in this way.

i filled in the online application form on tuesday and received my password by post this morning (friday). it was then a 5 minute job to add funds to the account with a debit card and buy 20 EDL shares. total cost was about 80 GBP (inc. transaction charge).

the only potential stumbling block that i can forsee is that halifax only seem to provide online contract notes, so i'm hoping the shareholders club will accept a printed copy of this. (if anyone has any thoughts on that, i would be interested to hear them).

If you have any problems then you can get Halifax to fax your confirmation of ownership - that's what I did when using Selftrade, both for my initial joining and for my recent renewal.

Welcome to your imminent joining of the club :)

I have just done the same with Halifax, last week. I received my password and logged in and noticed they hadn't taken £100 which they should have to start the account, so I deposited another £100, then within 2 hours they took the initial £100, so I have now requested a refund. so just keep an eye on your account.
I contacted them on Wednesday via webchat and had a conversation with "Dave" and explained I needed the contract notes printed and sent as Disney wouldn't accept a print of the online statement. He went away and checked and said they can post out the contract notes but only to my employer :confused3, as yet I am still waiting but so far a painless experience

I used the Halifax service and just printed out the contract note for my Shareholders application.

On the shareholders website it does state the following :-

complete the online membership form and mail or fax us recent proof of your position as a shareholder (for example: bank account, contract note, certificate from your financial intermediary, ...). Please note that electronic prints of online statements are not accepted.

I will give it a go and print it out and see what happens.

Thanks ruthiebabie

thanks for your input on this. after reading your post i decided to give them a ring. the woman i spoke to told me she'd get a contract note in the mail to me (after a VERY lengthy list of security questions). maybe 'dave' was a bit confused. i've sent the printout version off the the shareholders club now anyway - so i'll keep you posted on what happens. (i'd have PM'd this, but it won't let me until i've made 10 posts)

Please keep us posted on this as many who transferred over to Halifax from Selftrade will go through this at renewal time :)

Hi. Hope I'm not causing trouble here but we opened an online account with Halifax - very easy. Sent the online print out to Disney which they would not accept! We then had a very LONG and frustrated call to Halifax who said because we'd opened on line there wasn't any other confirmation they could send us BUT because we'd had so much messing about they agreed to transfer us over to the telephone share dealing account without a charge. We then received our confirmation which Jullien at Shareholders accepted and we are now members. I hope everyone gets on Ok with theirs and maybe it was just our luck that we didn't get any one very helpful at Halifax when we rang but my advice for the future would be DONT open on line -- Disney do not accept online print outs. Good luck!!:cutie:

I used the halifax to buy my shares a few weeks ago and had no issues at all.

Well, apart from not being able to access the fax no :confused3 -I was then instructed by Disney to email the online certificate along with the application form and received my temp cert within a few days and my card within a fortnight-very easy and pain free :thumbsup2

I used Halifax online to purchase my shares. I just faxed a copy of my share dealing note (which you can select online) and they sent me my shareholders card in 2 weeks no problem. I would highly recommend doing it this way as was a simple and easy experience.

Very strange!!!!

I have a lovely e-mail from Jullien explaining how they don't accept the online print out. Maybe it depends who you get in Shareholders Club as well??

Very strange!!!!

I have a lovely e-mail from Jullien explaining how they don't accept the online print out. Maybe it depends who you get in Shareholders Club as well??

Just checked my emails and it was an email from Julien dated the 24th July that accepted my application :confused3

Unless all emails are all "signed" by Julien and it really just does depend who you get at the Club :confused3

On the shareholders website it does state the following :-

complete the online membership form and mail or fax us recent proof of your position as a shareholder (for example: bank account, contract note, certificate from your financial intermediary, ...). Please note that electronic prints of online statements are not accepted.

I will give it a go and print it out and see what happens.

Thanks ruthiebabie

...........UPDATE

I decided to give it a go and I emailed the Shareholders club on Saturday with a PDF of the application form and a PDF of my online Halifax contract notes (didn't notice the part where I was supposed to sign. oops).

I just received an email from Julien he is sending me my temporary certicate whilst I wait for my card.:cool1::cool1:

So on the basis of that................. Julien obviously doesn't accept the paper copy of the online share dealing note (which we posted to him along with our appliaction etc as we couldn't get the fax number to work) BUT he will accept the online share dealing note if its emailed ????????????????? This is getting stranger by the minute!!!!!!

hi folks - i received my Club Actionnaires membership card this week so i thought i'd give you a complete update on the process for anyone looking to join or renew.

21/08/2009 mailed (RM) shareholders club application form and an online printout of my halifax contract note to the Club Actionnaires address at DLP.

25/08/2009 emailed Club Actionnaires to check they had received it. received email back the same day confirming this.

28/08/2009 received temporary membership certificate in mail.

05/09/2009 received actual membership card in mail.

simple as you like, and less than 4 weeks total from me opening my halifax sharedealing account online to receiving the SHC membership card.

i would certainly recommend this method.

all the best,

matt.

Thanks for this Matt. Can you tell me do Halifax charge to open a share dealing account - I think you mentioned transaction charge as well? Do you mind sharing how that cost you please?

It certainly seems worth doing if it's that easy.

Where can I find a list of shareholder's advantages please?

hiya -

opening the halifax account was free. you need to transfer £100 into the account to open it, but can transfer out again once it's up and running.

the commission charge per transaction is 17.50 GBP.

i bought 20 shares for about 80 GBP including the commission and the share price is still roughly the same.

all the best,

matt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter