Buying Resale

FirstTimeDisneyVisit

Mouseketeer
DW and I were looking into buying DVC, took the tour and everything, and were very close to buying it but then we heard about buying through resale and how that could save some money. We then heard that if you buy through resale you would only be able to use your points for Disney resorts and wouldn't be able to use them to stay at different resorts around the world. Is that true? Or does resale work just like buying it direct through Disney?

Yes, your use of points is limited when buying resale. It is no great loss as far as I am concerned. Those who have done the math (as I have) find that the point costs for those transfers tend to be very high. And when you attach a dollar value to the points (i.e. you can rent points out to vacationers for $11-$16 pp depending upon the property) you find that it is often cheaper to rent out your points take the cash and make your reservation with the cash. You'll actually save points that way.

DW and I were looking into buying DVC, took the tour and everything, and were very close to buying it but then we heard about buying through resale and how that could save some money. We then heard that if you buy through resale you would only be able to use your points for Disney resorts and wouldn't be able to use them to stay at different resorts around the world. Is that true? Or does resale work just like buying it direct through Disney?
You can still exchange through RCI!

You can exchange resale points into RCI.

It would be easier to clarify if you explained what you mean by Round the world. Which exchanges are you interested in?

But know that the core use of DVC is for DVC resorts. Any other use is usually horrible value. RCI exchanges can be difficult to get.

As Minniesgal said, your best use of your points will be DVC. All other uses are not as cost effective. The answer is yes resale points can still be used on RCI properties. They can't be used on Disney cruise, Disney hotels( non dvc) or certain select worldwide hotels.

You can exchange resale points into RCI.

It would be easier to clarify if you explained what you mean by Round the world. Which exchanges are you interested in?

But know that the core use of DVC is for DVC resorts. Any other use is usually horrible value. RCI exchanges can be difficult to get.

when we took the DVC tour they said we could stay anywhere they have hotels associated with RCI.. Places like France ,China,Singapore, Whashignton D.C just to name a few .. As long as as Resale allows you to still use the RCi resorts i think its worth it..

i agree with the others that DVC pts are best used for DVC trips.

if you are trading out of the system, you will be consistently losing value. you would come out ahead to rent those stays around the world with cash (and generally find booking much easier) instead of trying to accomplish that with DVC points. (you could either rent your DVC points for cash or it may be a better deal for you to skip buying into DVC altogether.)

I agree with the posters.

Renting out your dvc points at $11-15pp is much more cost effective than exchanging into RCI. It's not hard to rent, just a few hours out of your life if you go through a rental broker/middleman (they pay between $11ish-13pp).

So, for 200 points (example), you can easily get $2200. That's a week in a 1bd. If you go overseas and rent through a timeshare portal, you probably do not have to pay $315+/night including tax.

Plus, the Rci hotels are not in the big cities-- they are a bit fatter away. In addition, the hard to get into ones are hard to get into-- dvc is a hard to get Rci resort. If you wanted DC, etc-- they are hard to get too.

DVC is best used for DVC stays. Disney advertises that you can use points around the world but it isn't easy to do and it can cost you. You can't always believe what a sales person tells you.

:earsboy: Bill

You lose nothing of benefit currently buying resale. You do lose the opportunity to over pay for DCL and other similar cash exchange options. RCI and BVTC are still included though not contractual. I'd say it's dramatically likely something will change in these areas over time but every unlikely it'll be related to the resale vs retail issue. IMO it is an extremely pool choice to buy using DVC to try to get RCI options. If they implied that DVC is special in RCI and that would cause you to get what you want, they lied to you, RCI doesn't work that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter