Buying Resale - Loads of questions

jeninchicago

Earning My Ears
Hi, all!

I've been a lurker for a long time, but now I need your help! We are considering buying resale BLT points and I have a few questions.

1. Which resale websites do you recommend? I've seen a few out there, but would love a recommendation.

2. In a few threads I saw people reference the change in resale rules. Can someone explain those to me?

3. Anything else I need to know about buying resale?

Thank you all so much!

Scan through the posts in this thread. Your questions are discussed on a regular basis.

:earsboy: Bill

I did scan through, that's how I can up with questions! I didn't see the information in the many posts that I read.

Hmmmm.....

Off to try again.

Here are the restrictions: "Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest."

Hi, all!

I've been a lurker for a long time, but now I need your help! We are considering buying resale BLT points and I have a few questions.

1. Which resale websites do you recommend? I've seen a few out there, but would love a recommendation.

2. In a few threads I saw people reference the change in resale rules. Can someone explain those to me?

3. Anything else I need to know about buying resale?

Thank you all so much!

I purchased my first resale thru Fidelity in September. 6 weeks later I made my first resv for next May. They did everything well.
I looked over the point charts and decided appx how many we would need in the time of year we vacation the most.I kind of looked at the next 10 years and figured what we might need including a trip to Aulani.Might have been overkill but I'm a planner!We liked Old Key West because their rooms are larger than any other DVC.I was lucky and found a contract I liked on the 2nd try.I hope you have luck with yours.

I am a lurker as well, and almost ready to dive into the DVC resale market. So the Hawaii DVC is not part of the 2011 restrictions, just the cruise and Adventure Club? Sorry to be a newb.

I am a lurker as well, and almost ready to dive into the DVC resale market. So the Hawaii DVC is not part of the 2011 restrictions, just the cruise and Adventure Club? Sorry to be a newb.

Remember that Aulani (the villa portion) IS a DVC resort, so you can use any DVC points to stay in the DVC villas at Aulani. The same 11/7 month booking windows apply to Aulani villas as to all DVC resorts.

Aulani villas are DVC, not "Disney Collection."

Hawaii IS available to resale buyers. Besides cruise and Adventure Club there is also restriction on using points at std Disney hotels . KInd of a bummer for me but took the plunge anyway.

Thanks for the input, this will be a strike against the resale market as far as my wife goes (cruise). I think I finally have her talked into a DVC, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the cruise omission is not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the input, this will be a strike against the resale market as far as my wife goes (cruise). I think I finally have her talked into a DVC, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the cruise omission is not a deal breaker.

There are blackout periods where DVC can't book a cruise on points or where only a few cabins are made available. IMO it a marketing tool that is more fluff than substance. Disney would rather book cruses with cash guests, they offer DVC bookings when they have empty cabins to fill just like they offer "deals" for Florida residents, the Military, or other special groups when they have cabins to fill.

Bottom line is that cruising on points isn't guaranteed.

If you're thinking that buying direct is a protection against changes to the cruise exchanges, that's not the case. For any DVC owner, direct or resale, the exchange options are not part of your vacation ownership. Access to DCL can change at any time. DCL can (and does) limit the number of cabins available for points reservations, they can decide not to have any cabins available on points for a period of time (it's happened), and point costs for cruises generally increase every year.

If you're thinking that buying direct is a protection against changes to the cruise exchanges, that's not the case. For any DVC owner, direct or resale, the exchange options are not part of your vacation ownership. Access to DCL can change at any time. DCL can (and does) limit the number of cabins available for points reservation, decide not to have any cabins available on points for a period of time (it's happened), and point costs for cruises generally increase every year.

I always forget to mention the $95 booking fee that is charged when booking or making any changes to the reservation.

I always forget to mention the $95 booking fee that is charged when booking or making any changes to the reservation.

Just for clarification for the OP...the $95 booking fee is not charged when booking DVC resorts...but it is charged when booking anything outside of the DVC Resort system; such as cruises, regular Disney cash resorts, Adventures by Disney, etc.

Can't you get around the restrictions for cruises by booking the cruise through RCI instead then ? I am just saying because I am wondering about the same thing .... , because the resale points can be used to trade with RCI and Intrawest , can't that be considered a loophole to the restriction ?

Can't you get around the restrictions for cruises by booking the cruise through RCI instead then ? I am just saying because I am wondering about the same thing .... , because the resale points can be used to trade with RCI and Intrawest , can't that be considered a loophole to the restriction ?

I don't believe you can get Disney cruises through RCI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter