• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying Mobility Equipment for Disney Trip?

lovesLilo

Earning My Ears
Hi, DFi and I are going to WDW in December (our first trip!) and I'm not sure where to start with mobility equipment. I currently use a quickie rigid manual wheelchair but I'm thinking for Disney I may need some help getting around. I'm thinking of either buying a collapsible manual wheelchair or a handle that can bolt onto the back of my current wheelchair. I don't think renting a chair at Disney would be an option as I will need a wheelchair for every stage of our trip (ie airport, hotel etc). Anyone else have experience with this? Where are some good places online to purchase a collapsible wheelchair?
TIA!

Answers to these questions will help us to better know what may work for you.

What kind of Quickie rigid manual chair do you have?

Does it have a low back or higher back?

Does it have any push handles at all?

Is there a specific reason you want a folding one, or just thinking it would have higher push handles/canes?

Do you have/need any specialized seating?

Other things you may want to consider:
Contacting the place where you were fitted for or got your current chair to see what they can come up with.

Renting a wheelchair at home and taking it with you. That would take care of your problem of not having it at the airport, etc.
Or taking your own wheelchair with you and renting one when you get to WDW.

Wheelchairs travel for free on the airplane. You can check it at the gate and have it returned to you at the gate when you arrive. There is more information on traveling with a wheelchair in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board - or follow the link in my signature. The first post of that thread is an index that tells which post contains which information.

Forgot to add-
Most people are aware of renting a wheelchair in the parks, but that would not help you since you need it all over and those can only be used in the park where they were rented. If the park rental wheelchair would work for the time in the park, you could bring your own wheelchair, rent one in the park and they could hold your wheelchair for you.

You can also rent wheelchairs from off-site rental places to use for your entire stay. There is a list of places with contact information in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Those chairs tend to be what I call 'plain vanilla' ones with sling seats and backs, armrests that are not removable and fixed leg rests. (So, not much in the ability to adapt).
If you have a pressure reducing seat cushion, you may be able to use it in the sling seat, but the inability to remove armrests or swing footrests away are deal breakers for some people.

Sue has already touched many subjects. Just posting to add; think about in how many situations you might need help. I mean not just this trip but when looking at all you do -or want to do!!!- the coming year. If you find you have a problem with long distances but are -or want to be- doing them rather frequent, it might be worth to also consider getting a set of powerassisted wheels. Depends per brand how much they support but this type of wheels can easily reduce the strength you need to propel into half or more. E-fix is one of the brands I know are available in the US.

I know of quite a few people who use them for the long distances like once you can encounter at WDW. Not real cheap option though unfortunately.

If you do get some push bars for the current chair; look into the possibility of getting quick release bars and if it works for your needs and wants. A bit more pricey but the difference is worth the ease and comfort. Not just for those needing to put the bars on but also for you (or am I so impatient that I hate even having to wait the half a minute it takes others to put on my quick release push bars?)

Thanks for the replies.

What kind of Quickie rigid manual chair do you have? Quickie GPV

Does it have a low back or higher back?
Higher, I've got a Jay J3 back (goes to about the top of my shoulders)

Does it have any push handles at all? No. My thought when I ordered it was I'd be more independent.

Is there a specific reason you want a folding one, or just thinking it would have higher push handles/canes?
DFi's thought is that it would be more convenient, possibly take less room in the car and easier for him to load in/out of the car.

Do you have/need any specialized seating?
My seat cushion is a Jay EASY (a fairly firm foam cushion) with the gel pack taken out and replaced w/ softer positioning foam)

I like the idea of quick release push handles but not sure where to get them.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter