Buying into DVC on DCL

lgajohnson

Mouseketeer
I have heard that DCL might have some sort of promos for buying into DVC while on board. Can anybody elaborate? Price points, OBC, promotions? Thanks so much for any insight!

The promos on the ship are always at least as good as the current promo on land, sometimes better. Sorry, they can change on a day's notice--literally. Maybe someone who cruised last week can tell you what the current deals are.

You are right, deals in the past have included extra points, price reductions on points, onboard credits, and even a free cruise.

My awesome parents bought us DVC on the Wonder in July. There was a "20th Anniversary" promotion with a certain amount discounted depending on the points purchased. We chose 220, because it had the biggest bang for our buck. 160 had a lower percentage off, and 330 and 440 had the same percentage as 220.

I bought DVC on the Hawaii cruise. For every 100 pts purchased, they gave you 20. I bought 200 and in return I received 240. I also got $500 OBC. Don't know what they are offering now though.

I would strongly recommend someone look into resale .... You can save a lot more than any deal direct through Disney

DW and I bought on the Fantasy during our July 28th cruise. We bought 220 points. The deals that we received were: $500 OBC, 10% off purchase price, this years points from February, retroed annual member dues, 18 Premier Fast Passes, 100 free onetime-use points. Plus all the giveaways from purchasing, lanyards, books, pins etc. It was a great deal. They have promo meetings that you go to and can possibly win a $300 OBC as well, and you get a nice binder just for going. If you are going to buy, go early in the week because it will get busy by the end of the cruise.

I don't really understand DVC. We own a different timeshare that doesn't deal with points...we have a certain week and a certain apartment. Can anyone elaborate on the benefits of DVC?

I don't really understand DVC. We own a different timeshare that doesn't deal with points...we have a certain week and a certain apartment. Can anyone elaborate on the benefits of DVC?

With DVC you are not locked in to a certain week of the year, room type or location. Since joining in 2010 I have used my 180 points a year to stay 8 nights in a savanna view studio at Animal Kingdom in October 2010, 7 nights in an ocean view inn room at Vero Beach in May 2011, 6 nights in a one bedroom standard view at Bay Lake Tower and a 7 night cruise in a 7A on the Magic in January 2012. I thought the cruise would be a one time thing so did not mind using points for it, but turns out we loved cruising! The cruise used up a LOT of points so I wont do it again.

Currently we have just bought points from Scott at ********** website seems way cheaper without the initial incentives....????

True but using Dvc for anything but Dvc resorts is almost always a terrible deal financially

I always love it when people tell other people what is a good / bad use of THEIR points.

this will be my 3rd cruise on points. We don't mind at all. We have plenty of points. First cruise we paid cash for my dd. 2 and 3 are covered completely by points. DD age 12 would much rather cruise than go to WDW now, so this is how we choose to use our points - now. When she was younger we went to WDW twice a year and used our points for studios or one bedrooms.

I don't care to join RCI for now, so for us, it's WDW, DLR or DCL. It all works for us. I can't see owning the points but then paying cash for a cruise. yes, I could rent the points out too, I just choose not to.

However someone uses their points is because it works for them. We love the flexibility of the program from 1-2 nights at any level resort up to a 7 day cruise for us, it's been great.

ps. to the OP, there is a whole section on DVC on the Disboards that you can peruse and learn more.

What is the cost to join $10,000+ then an annual fee of $800ish?
Direct from DVC $10,000 would get you under 100 points a year.
Currently we have just bought points from Scott at ********** website seems way cheaper without the initial incentives....????

Yes, buying resale is cheaper than buying direct. May people want to buy direct for different reasons. For example, Aulani is a new resort so there will be next to no resale contracts. If you wanted to buy there you would pretty much need to go direct. Or people want a specific resort with a certain use year with a certain number of points they may not be able to find through resale.

Gotcha! We just buy small amounts of points at a time....like 45 to stay 4 nights at AKL (for example) we live 30ish minutes from WDW so we haven't ever looked into it.

Direct from DVC $10,000 would get you under 100 points a year.

Actually right now $10k will get you exactly 100 points at OKW, which lasts until 2057, like Animal Kingdom.

Just putting it out there for those who may wonder.

Tracy

lesroi said:
Actually right now $10k will get you exactly 100 points at OKW, which lasts until 2057, like Animal Kingdom.

Just putting it out there for those who may wonder.

Tracy

Thanks!!

We have often wondered about DVC, we do something with Disney once a year, so its usually a 7-10 day something. Does it really save you money? When we stay at WDW we usually stay at a value suite or the French Quarter, there are 5 of us so that seems to make it a bit more difficult.

My husband and I have good jobs, but there is no way we have that type of money in a rainy day fund, how are people like us supposed to afford it? I looked on the DVC page, didn't go far, but it really seemed like anyone on there just had the extra money. Maybe I am missing something somewhere.

I am planning to see what they have to say when we cruise in December, but I am very confused. I know we will continue to go once a year as long as we can, but if its not going to save us money I don't know how I feel about being locked into something.

We have often wondered about DVC, we do something with Disney once a year, so its usually a 7-10 day something. Does it really save you money? When we stay at WDW we usually stay at a value suite or the French Quarter, there are 5 of us so that seems to make it a bit more difficult.

My husband and I have good jobs, but there is no way we have that type of money in a rainy day fund, how are people like us supposed to afford it? I looked on the DVC page, didn't go far, but it really seemed like anyone on there just had the extra money. Maybe I am missing something somewhere.

I am planning to see what they have to say when we cruise in December, but I am very confused. I know we will continue to go once a year as long as we can, but if its not going to save us money I don't know how I feel about being locked into something.

Some people finance it. As for saving money, remember there are also annual dues. I have 180 points at Animal Kingdom and I paid almost $1000 this year. Could you get your hotel stay at WDW for less than or close to that each year? If yes and you are happy with the rooms you get, then no, DVC is not going to save you any money. Also with DVC you cannot get any promos like free dining. But you also get a full kitchen in the one bedroom and larger units. With 5 people you would need at least a one bedroom, which means more points are needed. And just like paying cash for a hotel room, the busy seasons cost more. We don't have kids so we can go in the winter and will be in a studio for most stays. With kids, if you can only go in the summer and school breaks in a larger unit you will need way more points, increasing your initial costs and your annual dues.

wdwfamilyinIL said:

If you go for that long it is worth it you can buy dvc resale the best way is home equity loan or finance thru dvc the interest is tax deductible as a vacation home assuming you don't have one already

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter