Buying half cow or 1/4 cow??

Huh, I'm not a city gal, but this is a new one on me. I don't know anyone who has done this. Closest would be buying a freezer plan from the butcher. For $100, you get so much beef, chicken, pork or whatever. He'll cut & package the way you want it. I've done that a few times.

DH used to work at a ranch when we first got married and that was part of his pay, a whole beef every year. We just celebrated our 20th anniversary and we still buy at least a 1/2 a beef every year. This year we bought it from DH's cousin who has a son that participates in 4H. The meat is excellent and the best part is that I don't have to buy meat at the supermarket.

We get a 1/2 beef once a year (last us the whole year) from some Amish down the road from us. It's great because it is lean meat & they don't use hormones. The taste somewhat depends at what age they butcher, but we've been very satisfied to pay $2.50 per pound, cut & wrapped, for hamburger, roasts and lots of yummy steaks!

My inlaws bought a 1/2 beef this year and it tastes so much better. My sil won't even try it. I guess more for us. We are waiting on a 1/2 pig right now. It should be ready next week. We've been told that the longer it hangs before processing, the better it taste. I think our beef hung for a week before it was processed. I also agree, that the first time I cooked ground beef, I burned it. There is absolutely no fat in the hambuger although our butcher added 5% to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter