Buying DVC on a cruise

RickFreeze

Mouseketeer
We are looking at buying into the DVC. I know that they do all kinds of discounts and specials and stuff if you buy them on the a cruise. I was just wondering if anybody would share their experience and the price that they paid for their home resort for their purchase on a Disney cruise. If the discount is significant, I might wait until our next cruise in September 2014 and buy our DVC on the cruise at that time.
Any information you fellow DISers can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Your best price will be via resale. Disney doesn't give direct sales away and any "deal" that you can find, is paid for by all buyers.

Pricing will fluctuate depending on Disney's budgets, forecasts, and benchmarks.

:earsboy: Bill

Rick,
I just joined in feb. on 7 day cruise. Akv home resort. There were offering a $1000 credit and 160 points from 2012 as incentive.. So when I joined I had 160 points available for use. I will be banking those points and when my 2013 points are available in september i will have 320 for 2014 vacation.

Rick,
I just joined in feb. on 7 day cruise. Akv home resort. There were offering a $1000 credit and 160 points from 2012 as incentive.. So when I joined I had 160 points available for use. I will be banking those points and when my 2013 points are available in september i will have 320 for 2014 vacation.

You DO realize that the 160 points from 2012 you paid for,right? It is because your UY is Sept. that 2012 points were still available with 2013 being replenished on Sept.1.
Enjoy!!!!! And Welcome Home!

Explain why to me there seems to be so much animosity towards those who buy direct. It's so true. Please don't flame me too much. If we can afford it and choose to okay. But the great resale crowd is so very harsh. BTW after 10 years of back and forth we purchased 240 direct BWV points in feb.

I don't know that it's really animosity but I agree, some posters push resale pretty hard. I understand that people are just trying to make potential buyers aware of resale but I often get the "if you don't buy resale, you're crazy" vibe from many of the posts. I bought all but our first contract direct (would have bought that direct too - long story). I'm going to own these points for 30-45 years and, while I only use them for Disney resorts now, I have no idea what I'm going to want to use them for in the future. Buying direct gives me more flexibility now to use the points how I choose and probably always will.

Explain why to me there seems to be so much animosity towards those who buy direct. It's so true. Please don't flame me too much. If we can afford it and choose to okay. But the great resale crowd is so very harsh. BTW after 10 years of back and forth we purchased 240 direct BWV points in feb.

The way that I see it is that Disney spends millions of dollars convincing people to buy DVC and to buy direct.

We spend nothing but our time letting people know that DVC may not be a good fit for them and/or, that they can buy resale and save thousands of dollars.

What they do is their business.

:earsboy: Bill

I don't really think it's animosity. I've been on the boards for years, mainly lurking until recently when I made the decision to finally buy after spending a great amount of months researching and saving so that I wouldn't have to finance my purchase. People frequently pop on here having done little research, obviously blinded by bright shiny Disney rainbows and clouds of pixie dust touting how their guide got them this awesome deal with great incentives. Usually, they are just getting the points that they are entitled too in the first place but are convinced that they got something special. The regulars are just trying to clear away the dust clouds of misinformation. I am thankful for them because it helped me save a ton of cash by purchasing resale.

I don't really think it's animosity. I've been on the boards for years, mainly lurking until recently when I made the decision to finally buy after spending a great amount of months researching and saving so that I wouldn't have to finance my purchase. People frequently pop on here having done little research, obviously blinded by bright shiny Disney rainbows and clouds of pixie dust touting how their guide got them this awesome deal with great incentives. Usually, they are just getting the points that they are entitled too in the first place but are convinced that they got something special. The regulars are just trying to clear away the dust clouds of misinformation. I am thankful for them because it helped me save a ton of cash by purchasing resale.

DD,
Truly that was just my point ,since it seemed that the poster I replied to seemed to think that they WERE given an extra years points.I only wanted them to understand that they were entitled to those points BECAUSE they paid for them,not by the grace of their salesperson.
We have 3 contracts 1 of which is direct and whatever works for a person is great. I just hate it when a person is bamboozled into thinking they were given something they weren't.
pixiedust: For everyone

We bought 160 BLT direct a few years ago for 108.00PP and I thought that was a lot but we go to Disney every year and did not know about resale so we took the plunge. Wish I knew about resale although at the time BLT resale was selling for 95.00- 100.00PP so not really worth it since direct buy had no closing cost. We too could afford direct and paid cash.

Since finding the resale market we bought and have saved thousands of dollars THOUSANDS! I am not flaming anyone for buying direct just trying to educate those who value their disposal income.

If you are buying an older property such as BWV why spend 27000.00 when you can buy contracts that are selling for 55.00 -65.00PP even at 60.00PP it is 14400.00 for 240 points :scared1: A difference of 12600.00 - I can pay for many other vacations with that! We bought DVC to stay at Disney that is it. For us resale works and financially the way to go.

To answer the question about DVC incentives on a cruise, I would just like to point this out: The prices directly through Disney will likely go up between now and summer 2014. Just look at the HUGE price increases that went into effect last month. It's unlikely any cruise incentive in 2014 would outweigh the inevitable price increase that will occur between now and then. If you are sure you want to buy directly through Disney, I would do it sooner and have access to your points sooner as well. And although I'm a big fan of resale, I can actually understand buying direct. I know plenty of people who wouldn't want to deal with the 2-3 month hassle of resale. But I just saved 60% buying AKV resale, so the extra work was worth it to me! For 200 pts direct, the price is now $29,000. If you get a resale contract for 60 to 65 per point, that's only $12,000 to 13,000. Just something to think about. Good luck either way!!!!

Explain why to me there seems to be so much animosity towards those who buy direct.

many of us regulars have seen a lot of posts during the "great recession" from people who bought direct and realized that they were over their heads as times got tough. lots of questions about having trouble selling for enough to pay off their loan...whether to just default and give it back to disney for zero dollars...

so you should understand that the value instantly collapses if circumstances change. if you wind up needing to sell next year, you will lose much more if you buy direct rather than resale. maybe you can shrug off that loss with no problem...but maybe the other guy reading this thread wouldn't be able to...

it's great that you can afford to buy direct. i totally get that sometimes you are in a situation to be willing and able to pay more to get EXACTLY what you want.

but just because you paid extra for the perk of trading out for cruises, you still need to understand that such perks are not the core of what DVC is contractually obligating themselves to do...and as a result, you might still wind up in a situation like this, where DVC chooses to eliminate the cruising perk for a year or so:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2537773

it's happened before, it might happen again.

even in a best case scenario, the ability to trade for cruises and such is not much of a value financially. and many purchase directly without even looking at point charts for cruises and such to see whether it's worthwhile.

DVC salespeople (so-called "guides") are never going to give you both sides. they tend to shade the truth at best and sometimes resort to scare tactics to trick people into paying more than they should. that's how the game gets played - if you understand that and it's still worth it to pay more in your situation, suit yourself.

I don't think the animosity is directed at the people who buy direct as much as it is some of the statements that these people make. Oftentimes they are just parroting what their salesperson told them, sharing incorrect information or trying to justify their own purchase and not presenting unbiased information. That tends to draw ire. I have been pretty consistent in saying that if you buy direct, please just say that you did so because you're more comfortable going that route, or you didn't want to wait, or because you don't really care about the savings. All of these are honest reasons that make sense based on personal preference. They're not my preferences, but I can respect that they're yours. But when people come on here with "fuzzy" math and present their own self soothing justifications as fact, it does tend to ruffle a few feathers, mine included.

Rick,

Like this. Sadly, this poster does not know that the 160 2012 points are not an incentive, they are his legal right. He assumes that because he is in 2013 that he is not entitled to the 2012 points. But the fact of the matter is that he is still in UY 2012, and he is just getting what he paid for. Shame on the salesperson who tried to present this as an incentive. And also, kind of a bad job by the buyer for not educating himself about what he was actually buying. What compounds the problem is that he is now offering his experience as advice to another poster and is essentially sharing incorrect information. I think that when people (myself included) try to correct this, they may come off as a bit harsh. The sad thing is that this is the poster's first post and he's getting, well let's use the word rebutted. Not a great welcome I admit, but is it worse than letting his misstatements stand? Tough call.

I don't know that it's really animosity but I agree, some posters push resale pretty hard. I understand that people are just trying to make potential buyers aware of resale but I often get the "if you don't buy resale, you're crazy" vibe from many of the posts. I bought all but our first contract direct (would have bought that direct too - long story). I'm going to own these points for 30-45 years and, while I only use them for Disney resorts now, I have no idea what I'm going to want to use them for in the future. Buying direct gives me more flexibility now to use the points how I choose and probably always will.

From strictly a financial standpoint, in today's market you are crazy if you don't buy resale. Financially speaking, in 98% of the cases there is NO valid reason to buy direct. Now that didn't always apply, and may not apply in the future. But with the gap between today's direct and resale prices, there is NO financial justification for buying direct. That being said, I will agree with others that there are non financial reasons to buy direct....and that's what you cited as your rationale for doing so. It's hard to argue with that, because you're correct. Buying direct does give you more flexibility with your points now, and "probably" always will. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but you covered yourself when you said "probably". But if you sat here and tried to explain how it is a better deal than buying resale (and people have) you're going to get some pushback that appears a lot like animosity. All in all, though, I've found the folks here on the Purchasing DVC boards to be pretty civil. :)

Do your research between direct vs. resale.

We bought a bulk of our points direct when those points were "new" resorts and almost half were bought on the cruise. The price we bought them at would probably be considered quite a steal at today's prices.
So I guess I fell within the 2% stat a PP mentioned.
Now with that said, we were looking for additional points for BLT and with the current direct price we just couldn't go direct. Plus there's a waiting list for it.

Back to your question regarding purchasing during a cruise. The incentive changes every so often. Your best bet is to wait until closer to your sail date and post your questions again for the latest offers.

I think our best purchase price was when we cruised sometime in January a couple years back. The guides said it was a leftover holiday special.
Good luck on your decision and have a great cruise!

As far as deals while on a cruise, they are not always the best available.

For example, in 2011 we did the inaugural Alaskan cruise and added on at Aulani while on it. Got home, got the paperwork, but before we signed and sent it back, DVC had one of their web casts which featured Aulani.

And the incentives were better than what we had gotten on the cruise!

So we called our guide, who was not happy about this, probably because he was sharing his commission with the guide on the cruise and had had to do basically nothing to earn it so far, and cancelled that contract. We then bought based on the incentives on the web cast.

Of course a few months later, after the dust settled on the Aulani situation, when we sold the contract back to Disney as per their offer, our guide was REALLY unhappy.

So even though cruises are known for having the best incentives, keep watching what Disney offers as long as you can because as in our case you never know what might pop up.

Good for you, asking in advance of your cruise. I've seen threads where points bought while on the cruise were then questioned upon return home, and the cancllation deadline drew near.
I wouldn't purchase something of this magnitude without serious research..... hard for me to do while cruising.

We just cruised for spring break and wanted to add on a small number of points to what we already had. We got a $500 onboard credit. There were more incentives if you bought more points, but we knew what we needed going in to it so we stuck with the smaller contract.

We bought direct a few years ago and hadn't done any research. Not the smartest thing to do--I know. However, now that we've been members for a few years and are more educated about DVC than we were prior, we still bought direct. May still not be the smartest thing to do, but it is what we felt comfortable with. I think it is a personal decision and if you can afford it, do what you want. Now, if we were going to buy a large number of points again, I might buy resale. Basically, I'm no help at all. :)

Susan

From all I have been reading and looking at numbers, I think the next few trips we have scheduled I will rent points, should be about 50 for our next trip, and then in a few years, when we have the money saved up, we will buy resale. It seems that we can get 2x the number of points for the same price as buying direct.
I do still have one question about buying direct. If I was to buy direct at one of the "old" DVC resorts that contracts end in like 2041 or there abouts, do the new purchases end at that time or is it the length of the original contract and thius ending in 2063 or whatever.

From all I have been reading and looking at numbers, I think the next few trips we have scheduled I will rent points, should be about 50 for our next trip, and then in a few years, when we have the money saved up, we will buy resale. It seems that we can get 2x the number of points for the same price as buying direct.
I do still have one question about buying direct. If I was to buy direct at one of the "old" DVC resorts that contracts end in like 2041 or there abouts, do the new purchases end at that time or is it the length of the original contract and thius ending in 2063 or whatever.

Ends on the original end date.
Except for OKW which has some extended contracts out there for resale.

cseca is accurate. there is no benefit to buying direct except that OKW-2057 contracts can be rare in resales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter