Buying direct

mch04049

Saratoga Springs Resort 2010
What will happen when you buy direct and try to sell a year later. It seems to me that you would have to sell as a resale and then your points being sold would not have full benefits like when you bought them. Or does Disney buy them back at a certain price. Will this price be lower than resale. Because if it is then I would think that you would sell at the Timeshare Store or something similar. I am sure this has been answered before, but I need to have a reminder.

What will happen when you buy direct and try to sell a year later. It seems to me that you would have to sell as a resale and then your points being sold would not have full benefits like when you bought them.
Yes, that's correct. Actually no matter how you make your initial purchase (direct or resale), when you sell the points, it will be in the resale market. And you are also correct that the points would not have the full benefits you purchased.
Or does Disney buy them back at a certain price. Will this price be lower than resale.
Several years ago, there were isolated instances where DVC bought back a few contracts, but when they did it was at prices far below the resale levels (like $55 per point when resales were selling for $80-90). AFIK, they haven't bought anything back in several years.

I say if reselling is something you believe is a factor, then I'd buy resale to begin with. That way you save money from the get-go and if you sell, you'll take less of a hit. And on top of all that the benefits being sold would be the same as when you had them.

If you never plan to use your points outside of the DVC resorts or you don't need financing then buying direct can result in you paying a lot more than the same contract on the resale market. Yes, you may get some incentives and the process would be a little faster, but if you can save $40 or more per point by going resale it is definitely worth considering. As mentioned once you decide to sell its going to be through the resale market anyway.

And don't forget that selling via the resale market is going to come with a 8-10% commission if you use a broker, which equates to getting even less per point. So be sure and factor everything in if you are looking at owning just long enough to use the points for a special vacation, etc. It could be that you might come out money-ahead by renting points from an existing member.

you'll lose too much money whether you buy direct or resale. Renting points is a great option!

I was just asking in case I wanted to add on. I bought resale a year ago so my points have full benefits. I am not planning on selling but you never know if you may have to for some unknown reason. I think Jim above answered it best. Thanks for the answers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter