• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying Aulani

IDK why I continue to browse Aulani listings, maybe just a touch of boredom leading me down these paths. I'm always interested in the contracts that pop up for a weird number of points but often there's no explanation in the listing for the weirdness. Except I just spotted one for a fixed week in a Grand Villa. It's nice to dream. Any of you have fixed week contracts? Does a fixed week contract also have a Use Year?

IDK why I continue to browse Aulani listings, maybe just a touch of boredom leading me down these paths. I'm always interested in the contracts that pop up for a weird number of points but often there's no explanation in the listing for the weirdness. Except I just spotted one for a fixed week in a Grand Villa. It's nice to dream. Any of you have fixed week contracts? Does a fixed week contract also have a Use Year?
Fixed week contracts are just like any other contract, except a cast member will book/hold the week your fixed week is for at a 10% premium before the people at 11 months can get to it.

Fixed week contracts are just like any other contract, except a cast member will book/hold the week your fixed week is for at a 10% premium before the people at 11 months can get to it.
Thanks! Was just curious as to the UY, the contract I looked at has a fixed week in August but wasn't sure if that automatically means an August UY. It does look like the week is now more expensive than when the original owner bought it.

Thanks! Was just curious as to the UY, the contract I looked at has a fixed week in August but wasn't sure if that automatically means an August UY. It does look like the week is now more expensive than when the original owner bought it.
The use year is not correlated to the fixed week number. It should say which week number it’s for. Just as an example I have an April UY with a week 50 fixed week for Riviera which roughly translates to the week or so before Christmas.

I don’t think you need the fixed week GV at Aulani outside of the last week in June or December.

Even then…. you could walk it…. such a large contract to have to unload….

Contract showed up Friday, they were loaded by the time I checked Monday before I had the chance to engage chat. My 2022 points have been rented and swapped already for an Alaskan cruise.

Super easy process!
How many points did you have to swap for an Alaskan cruise? 🤯

Wouldn’t 2022 be worthless by now or were you able to rent out banked 2022 points within a few days?

How many points did you have to swap for an Alaskan cruise? 🤯

Wouldn’t 2022 be worthless by now or were you able to rent out banked 2022 points within a few days?

They were 2022 points banked to 2023. https://dvcrequest.com/ had them matched for a rental within like the hour. I just dropped them to 16$ since it was like barely a week left of the 7 month window before my Dec UY and I didn’t see a strong need to haggle.

It was 92 points in technicality for the full price of the cruise but I used 90.

I think learning that the swaps are treated as like for likes and I didn’t need to entangle myself with the IRS as a Canadian has been a bit of a game changer. I’ll definitely consider the ability to swap moving forward.

My small Aulani contract coming with a “free cruise” helps with that mental addonitis… or doesn’t help rather.

They were 2022 points banked to 2023. https://dvcrequest.com/ had them matched for a rental within like the hour. I just dropped them to 16$ since it was like barely a week left of the 7 month window before my Dec UY and I didn’t see a strong need to haggle.

It was 92 points in technicality for the full price of the cruise but I used 90.

I think learning that the swaps are treated as like for likes and I didn’t need to entangle myself with the IRS as a Canadian has been a bit of a game changer. I’ll definitely consider the ability to swap moving forward.

My small Aulani contract coming with a “free cruise” helps with that mental addonitis… or doesn’t help rather.
Incredible, nicely done! Recently when I considered booking the DVC member cruises Disney told me it would be over 150 points for a single 3rd/4th berth child passenger— a rough calculation indicated that my point value conversion rate was lower than the cost of my dues. 🤢

Was it a non-Disney Alaska cruise?

Incredible, nicely done! Recently when I considered booking the DVC member cruises Disney told me it would be over 150 points for a single 3rd/4th berth child passenger— a rough calculation indicated that my point value conversion rate was lower than the cost of my dues. 🤢

Was it a non-Disney Alaska cruise?

Oh yes, sorry I would never exchange via Disney! For that reason, they give an absolute terrible exchange rate. But the swaps with the rental companies apply the value you'd normally receive with renting... though technically better from a tax treatment perspective. It is with Royal Caribbean.

Which I think the board sponsor should also start doing soon as hinted at by Paul Kreiger

Oh yes, sorry I would never exchange via Disney! For that reason, they give an absolute terrible exchange rate. But the swaps with the rental companies apply the value you'd normally receive with renting... though technically better from a tax treatment perspective. It is with Royal Caribbean.

Which I think the board sponsor should also start doing soon as hinted at by Paul Kreiger
FWIW, DVCRM does swaps as well.

It really comes down to how much are they giving you to rent the points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter