• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

buying AP on a blackout day

nikerbokers

MamaDisney
I'm sure this has been discussed before so please feel free to redirect me to that thread...

I have been contemplating buying AP's for a while but right now we are currently set on a trip with 3 days in the park but the last day would be a blackout date (deluxe ap). But today due to DH work, we may arrive ON that blackout day... is it possible to purchase the AP on the blackout date and still get into the parks that day or do you have to buy a one day pass for that day?

Thanks in advance for the help!

In 2012, we bought our AP's on a blackout day and we were allowed to use them that day. The CM said they're always valid on the day you buy them. I don't know if things have changed.

IIRC, when you buy a daily ticket or even a multi-day, you can upgrade to a full AP and receive full credit toward the upgrade. So if you were to buy a full day hopper, or even a 5 day, you could go into the park during any black-outs day within your original purchase and THEN buy the AP upgrade.

Does this make sense?

Yes you can buy an AP on a blockout date and you will be able to get in that day. You'll be handed a blockout exemption ticket to use at the gate. Did this 8/12/14, on the advice of the AP twitter account and it worked flawlessly.

IIRC, when you buy a daily ticket or even a multi-day, you can upgrade to a full AP and receive full credit toward the upgrade. So if you were to buy a full day hopper, or even a 5 day, you could go into the park during any black-outs day within your original purchase and THEN buy the AP upgrade.

Does this make sense?

So if I go during my original dates, I can take the 3 day pass on the 3rd day and the price I paid for the pass will apply to an AP? Sorry if I'm confusing everything...

This is from The DL website

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/annual-passes/terms-conditions/ said:
UPGRADES: A Guest wishing to upgrade to a Passport from another form of eligible Theme Park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of Theme Park admission media is valid. A Guest who chooses to upgrade to a Passport from another form of eligible Theme Park admission media must choose a Passport of equal or greater value than the original Theme Park admission media retail price, and the difference in prices shall be due on the day of the upgrade. If an upgrade to a Passport is made from a multi-day ticket, the Passport will be backdated to begin on the first day that such ticket was used; if an upgrade to a Passport is made from a lower level Passport, the new Passport will have the same expiration date as the original Passport. Each guest wishing to upgrade his/her ticket media to a Passport must be present at the time of the upgrade transaction. Fully used ticket media, complimentary ticket media (except for certain promotional tickets) and ticket media stating its ineligibility for an upgrade may not be upgraded to a Passport. Upgrades are subject to Passport availability. Downgrades are not allowed.

So, what I understand if if you upgrade from ANY eligible admission (1day...3day..5 day hopper...) you have until the park closes on your last day to upgrade and the date will be the first day you used the original ticket (your first day in park on the daily admission)

I have another question that is similar to that of the OP's if anyone has a moment to answer. I will be at Dland Tues through Sat in early July. My original idea was to have five day parks hoppers for my DD, DS and myself, BUT now I am trying to decide if I can upgrade us all to Deluxe APs. So the problem is that Deluxe is blocked on Saturdays which is our last day in the park. I hate to buy a Deluxe AP and then have to buy a 1 day a park hopper in addition to be able to be in the parks on Saturday. Can I upgrade to an AP on that last day of our park hoppers and be able to use the special loop hole that you can be admitted to the parks on the day that you buy your AP even if you would normally be blocked on that day? Is that even a good strategy? Should I just go ahead and get at least one AP right off-the-bat when we arrive b/c we will save so much $ on dining etc that it will make up for the $150 extra I need to pay for a one-day park hopper on Saturday?

I have another question that is similar to that of the OP's if anyone has a moment to answer. I will be at Dland Tues through Sat in early July. My original idea was to have five day parks hoppers for my DD, DS and myself, BUT now I am trying to decide if I can upgrade us all to Deluxe APs. So the problem is that Deluxe is blocked on Saturdays which is our last day in the park. I hate to buy a Deluxe AP and then have to buy a 1 day a park hopper in addition to be able to be in the parks on Saturday. Can I upgrade to an AP on that last day of our park hoppers and be able to use the special loop hole that you can be admitted to the parks on the day that you buy your AP even if you would normally be blocked on that day? Is that even a good strategy? Should I just go ahead and get at least one AP right off-the-bat when we arrive b/c we will save so much $ on dining etc that it will make up for the $150 extra I need to pay for a one-day park hopper on Saturday?
You'd have to eat $1500 in discountable food to equal $150 in savings. As far as merchandise discount, you can buy the bulk of your souvenirs on the last day, that would help. Also, if you de decide to upgrade before the Saturday you could buy a 1 park ticket and not hop, it would save $56.

So if I go during my original dates, I can take the 3 day pass on the 3rd day and the price I paid for the pass will apply to an AP? Sorry if I'm confusing everything...
In most cases, yes, the price you paid for the ticket should be applied towards the price of the AP. There are a few instances where they will "bridge" the price (i.e., give you the value of the ticket based on the current gate prices regardless of what you paid), but most folks only get the amount that they paid for the ticket. Where are you buying your tickets?

Can I upgrade to an AP on that last day of our park hoppers and be able to use the special loop hole that you can be admitted to the parks on the day that you buy your AP even if you would normally be blocked on that day? Is that even a good strategy? Should I just go ahead and get at least one AP right off-the-bat when we arrive b/c we will save so much $ on dining etc that it will make up for the $150 extra I need to pay for a one-day park hopper on Saturday?
As SMD said, you can upgrade one ticket to an AP to get the discounts from the start of the trip, but that individual would need buy a 1-day ticket for Saturday. Also, most 3-day or longer tickets include access to one Magic Morning. You will lose that benefit when you upgrade (so if you use the Magic Morning on the first morning, then it's okay, but if you aren't planning on using it until later in the trip, the AP holder will not be allowed into the park for MM).

This is a bit off topic, but whaaaat!! Disneyland has AP blackout dates? That bites. They must be cheaper than WDW AP's, I suppose :(
There are four different APs for Disneyland (only three are currently available for purchase) with varying levels of blockouts. The Premium (and Premier - the AP that is good at both WDW and DLR) does not have any blockout dates. After that is the Deluxe, SoCal, and then SoCal Select. They range in price, with the Premium being $779 (ages 3+). You can find out more on the Disneyland AP page:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/

I kind of have a reverse of what the poster above has. My oldest and I have Deluxe APs that expire June 24th. To fit our schedule we will be buying a 1 day/1 park pass for Saturday the 20th. Would we be able to apply the cost of those to RENEW our passes that evening? Seems like a long shot but I thought I'd ask.

I kind of have a reverse of what the poster above has. My oldest and I have Deluxe APs that expire June 24th. To fit our schedule we will be buying a 1 day/1 park pass for Saturday the 20th. Would we be able to apply the cost of those to RENEW our passes that evening? Seems like a long shot but I thought I'd ask.
No, that's covered in the terms as well.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/annual-passes/terms-conditions
RENEWALS: The value of any separate ticket media (except for certain promotional tickets) may not be used toward the renewal of an existing Passport. A “renewal” is the purchase of another year of Passholder benefits before the expiration date of a currently existing and valid Passport. All Passport types are available for renewal unless explicitly stated otherwise. Any renewal discounts are valid only until the applicable current Passport’s expiration date.
If you renew at the ticket booth on a blockout day they can give you a 1 day exception slip that you have to show every time you park hop. I just did it last weekend. It did make my first payment on the renewal get charged right away. I'm not sure yet if it will be earlier every month now, but my expiration is still June.

No, that's covered in the terms as well.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/annual-passes/terms-conditions

If you renew at the ticket booth on a blockout day they can give you a 1 day exception slip that you have to show every time you park hop. I just did it last weekend. It did make my first payment on the renewal get charged right away. I'm not sure yet if it will be earlier every month now, but my expiration is still June.
Ah, I didn't think so but had to ask. So you are saying if we went to the park and renewed that day (Sat) we wouldn't have to buy a 1day and could use the exception? Much thanks for the help. :flower3:

NO! DO NOT buy a one-day ticket and then try to apply it to an AP Renewal. You will be denied.

Just simply go to the ticket booths and renew your AP. They will issue a blockout ticket at no extra charge to you.

Blockout days NEVER apply on:

-First day of use on a NEW AP. (Disney really should post this one on their website or on the eTicket vouchers)

-Upgrades from daily tickets to an AP that is blocked.

-IN PERSON AP renewals at the main entrance Ticket booths.

NO! DO NOT buy a one-day ticket and then try to apply it to an AP Renewal. You will be denied.

Just simply go to the ticket booths and renew your AP. They will issue a blockout ticket at no extra charge to you.

Blockout days NEVER apply on:

-First day of use on a NEW AP. (Disney really should post this one on their website or on the eTicket vouchers)

-Upgrades from daily tickets to an AP that is blocked.

-IN PERSON AP renewals at the main entrance Ticket booths.
Thank you! You and SMD just saved me $200!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter