Buying alcohol on the way to the port

katml14

Mouseketeer
Hi All
We are planning on buying some alcohol to bring on board the Dream for our cruise on Sunday :cool1: Does anyone know if there is a time restriction on when Publix will sell beer/wine on Sunday? I know that the store opens at 7 a.m. but I wasn't sure if the alcohol sales also started this early.

Thank you!

our driver said 11am on Sunday........got us to the liquor store, next to a grocery store right at 11.

Truthfully, unless you are picky about your alcohol, I wouldn't bother. When we went on our first DCL cruise in January I had the towncar driver stop at a liquor store and bought a litre of rum and a litre of tequila. Well not only did we not drink most of it, we really didn't save anything by bringing our own. On the cruise there is always a "drink of the day" that they sell for around $4.50. I had bought the alcohol, because I was expecting to pay around $7-$8 per drink.

You might want to check out the rules for that particular county or just look up the number to the Publix that you plan on stopping by and ask. Some counties in FL are considered "dry" and won't sell anything on Sunday.

It depends on the county and town in Florida if there is a restriction. Near Disney there isn't a certain time, but closer to the port there may be. It's probabaly best to call the specific store you think you want to stop at.

Also, I just had to note, I think it's totally worth stopping. Yes, there are deals on the ship, but most of the drinks of the day I find kind of gross to be honest. We always take liquor and wine with us so we know that we have something good. Also, my husband drinks whiskey on the rocks and that is about $11.00 a drink on the ship versus $25 for a whole bottle. Make the stop, it will be well worth your time!

:rotfl:
Truthfully, unless you are picky about your alcohol, I wouldn't bother. When we went on our first DCL cruise in January I had the towncar driver stop at a liquor store and bought a litre of rum and a litre of tequila. Well not only did we not drink most of it, we really didn't save anything by bringing our own. On the cruise there is always a "drink of the day" that they sell for around $4.50. I had bought the alcohol, because I was expecting to pay around $7-$8 per drink.

The problems for ME with the drink of the day stuff is that it's always something fruity & sweet or something frufru-ish with some silly name. The 2nd problem is that they're WEAK. I'm a double person & am not into the fruity stuff. Gimme something that will grow some hair on my chest please! :rotfl:

Just kidding about the hairy chest...but not about the double. Give me a good stiff Captain Morgan with Diet Coke. DCL will charge like $11 or $12 for just one double. That would almost buy one bottle of the Captain. Definitely worth it to BYOB if you want to throw back a few good ones. :thumbsup2

I am 100% certain that it is worth stopping. My husband and BIL are big drinkers and will make a lot of mixed drinks in our rooms. Plus, I can pay ~$6 for a bottle at wine on land that would be marked up to ~30 on the ship and it will most certainly be gone within a few days.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll just call publix and/or super walmart and see what time they start selling alcohol!

:rotfl:

The problems for ME with the drink of the day stuff is that it's always something fruity & sweet or something frufru-ish with some silly name. The 2nd problem is that they're WEAK. I'm a double person & am not into the fruity stuff. Gimme something that will grow some hair on my chest please! :rotfl:

Just kidding about the hairy chest...but not about the double. Give me a good stiff Captain Morgan with Diet Coke. DCL will charge like $11 or $12 for just one double. That would almost buy one bottle of the Captain. Definitely worth it to BYOB if you want to throw back a few good ones. :thumbsup2

My problem is that I'm more of a margarita guy and without my trusty margarita maker, I just can't seem to get a good one. I didn't actually have any of the drink of the day since I brought my own, but just because it is fruity dosen't mean it isn't potent. The margaritas I make have 3oz of tequila and an oz of Cointreau. Two or three of them in an hour should have anyone feeling happy. :drinking1

Are you driving? If I had a car, I'd probably still stop. The problem was we had to pay an extra $20 for the liquor run.

Or, sign up for one of the tasting seminars and you can get pretty drunk for $15.

We have been on 2 cruises and will totally be stopping this time for our own liquor. Even though the drinks can be $4.50 they can add up very quickly.

Find the phone number and give them a call..Publix grocery stores only sell beer and wine so double check and see if they have a liquor store connected and what the hours on Sunday are.. Here in South Florida you can't buy alcohol until 12:00 or 1:00 in some towns.

It is definately worth the stop!! I am a bit of a wine snob so we made sure we had good wine and champagne which we opened in the room, had a glass on the veranda or just brought glasses to dinner. During the day we would buy beer or DOD but it was so nice to have a nice bottle of wine in the evening and not have to pay double the price for the bottle.

So if we're stay at the airport (I think Hyatt) and taking the transfer to the port in the morning... Where would be the best place to go? I assume we'd have to cab it? What would the cost of that be?

Am I crazy to think about packing drinks? I'm thinking boxed wine and a bottle or two of rum?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter