• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying after taking a tour

dforemsky

Earning My Ears
good morning -

My wife and I toured Saratoga Springs last October when we were on vacation and decided against purchasing at that time. My question is have we disqualified ourselves from getting any incentives if we decide to purchase now?

We had three days after we got home to decide if we wanted to purchase then with those incentives. If we do decide to purchase now, do we need to use the same guide, or can we just call up and whoever is due for a sale?

Can we pick a guide? Does anybody have any recommendations?

thanks!
dave

"My question is have we disqualified ourselves from getting any incentives if we decide to purchase now?

We had three days after we got home to decide if we wanted to purchase then with those incentives. If we do decide to purchase now"

i think you answered your own question. you said you had 3 days to decide in October - it's now end of March - your 3 day window is long gone.

i'm sure you could use another DVC rep if you choose to - it's really your choice if you like your guide and want to remain with him - if we didn't like ours (if we found her too pushy or anything) i would have asked for someone else.

it's sales right - if you don't like your sales rep ask for another one - i'd hardly think they would say no since you want to buy and they want to sell.

i don't know if they are on commission or get straight salary (would make sense if they get straight pay since they are not out "getting your business" just answering your the phone when you call and processing the paper work after answering all your questions)

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that we do not qualify for the incentives from October, but I guess my question is that would be be disqualified for current incentives (like the $8/pt incentive on Animal Kingdom Lodge that I saw mentioned elsewhere).

I think you're right that the salesperson could probably do almost anything to close the deal, though.

You'll be OK to get the current new member incentives. I couldn't take advantage of the Friends & Family offer last year when I first spoke to DVC but rang my guide and purchased this February with the current incentive. Good luck...

First, asking for a different salesperson shouldn't matter. They have all of your contact details in the computer. The 3-day limit that was communicated to you was DVC policy, not something cooked-up by your Guide.

That said, I think you've got a good chance of getting a discount now.

Used to be that losing out on incentives meant that you could never buy that same resort at a discounted rate. More recently I've heard people reporting that the 3-day window applies only to the incentive program offered at the time of the tour. Since you toured back in October, there has been at least one increase in the base price, a change in incentive programs and also an increase in the minimum purchase point (now 160 points instead of 150.) And that's just for Saratoga Springs.

DVC is also selling points at the Animal Kingdom Villas, which you have never toured. If you were planning to buy at AKV you should be able to get the current discount, no problem. But even if you want to go with SSR, based upon information reported here, I suspect you'll be able to get the current pricing DVC is offering.

The current deals are $94 per point for SSR with first set of points available immediately.

For AKV it's $96 per point with your first points coming sometime in the fall of '07, or $104 per point if you want a set of Developer's Points to use now.

EDIT: I also want to add that I disagree with the assertion that the rule can be broken simply to make a sale. I don't necessarily agree with the way they impose the 3-day restriction, but it's an upper-level management directive. You can't just call on Day 10 and say "OK, NOW I want to buy...gimme the deal." Perhaps there are special circumstances where a supervisor can get the rule waived. But I've also heard of people being held to that timeframe in the past.

Perhaps there are special circumstances where a supervisor can get the rule waived. But I've also heard of people being held to that timeframe in the past.

I think you hit the nail on the head. There CAN be special circumstances...

The thing is, you have to communicate with your guide, I think. If you said "Hey, we're pretty sure we want to buy in but I have to get home so I can make a final check of our finances and our trip doesn't end for another week" or "Look, I need 10 days after we arrive home to liquidate some assets to buy in", you'd likely get some sort of extension. Not talking to your guide, and just letting the time lapse...you're likely to get nothing.

As much as DVC is low key and no pressure that 3 day rule is their gimmick. They set the hook so people when they are there and still feel the excitement buy. Or do it on the last day go on the tour and go home to think about it and while they are still excited get the phone call from their guide saying glad you made it home are you ready to give me a deposit and get the process going

I love my DVC and maybe I am cynical after being in sales for 10 + years but I do not see Disney turning down anyones $ if that same promo is going on

EDIT: I also want to add that I disagree with the assertion that the rule can be broken simply to make a sale. I don't necessarily agree with the way they impose the 3-day restriction, but it's an upper-level management directive. You can't just call on Day 10 and say "OK, NOW I want to buy...gimme the deal." Perhaps there are special circumstances where a supervisor can get the rule waived. But I've also heard of people being held to that timeframe in the past.

Well, actually, it's the law. Timeshare laws are VERY restrictive. They must put time limits on "special offers"...and they can't make exceptions (at least not legally). 3 days is 3 days. Disney doesn't want to risk losing their right to sell.

Ok.. I'm a little confused here.. Are the deals different for people taking a tour vs. people just walking up to a kiosk? How long is the tour?

I'm looking into buying DVC when I am at The World in July for my honeymoon as a surprise for my soon to be DW. I just want to know how to get the best deal.

Thanks
Sean

If your very first contact with DVC comes as a result of a tour scheduled and taken while at WDW, it is pretty common for them to offer a price during the tour and say that you only have 3 days to buy at that price.

By comparison, if you contact DVC and discuss the purchase from home, there normally is not an expiration date attached (aside from the scheduled ending date of whatever promotion is in force at the time of contact.)

In either case, the promotional deal offered is the same. It's just a question of how much time you have to contemplate before making a decision.

I am not a DVC owner (yet definetly considering it). We toured at SSR when we were there in Oct but decided against it at that time. When I called last week to get info on AKV our rep told me that he could give me the price quoted at our tour and have our use year set back to October if we bought SSR. I don't know if this is true for everyone but I just wanted to let you know what I was told.

(Hoping to be an AKV owner soon!):cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter