buying a Wii

bonkos6

Mouseketeer
I know there are a lot of threads on this, but I can't seem to find the one I was looking for. We want to buy a Wii for Christmas. What do I need to buy to ensure that we can play in on Christmas morning? There will be 6 of us.
Thanks so much!!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3347953

This wii bundle at TRU seems like a good deal. The game alone is $50, the extra wiimote and nunchuck would run about $60, plus the console for $250. Of course, shipping will kill you, so if you can find it in the store that's better.

I wasn't sure if you were asking about what accessories to buy, or where to find the wii. In terms of accessories, so far we've bought 3 additional wiimotes (costco has a nunchuck/wiimote bundle for $51.99). we've bought 2 extra steering wheels (although my kids prefer the nunchuck for mario kart). I bought a usb powered remote charger (although if you plug it into the back of your wii it only charges while the wii is turned on, which means you can't use whichever remote is charging while you are playing). Next time I will just get a charger with an AC adaptor.

we went nuts buying games, and the only 2 we ever play are the wii sports that came with the machine and mario kart.

at first I did not like the wii fit, but it has grown on me. I use it for 10-20 minutes after work to do some stepping or aerobic games, and then about 20 min before bed to do yoga and stretching. so if you decide to get a wii fit, I would highly recommend getting a silicon cover for it. I got mine on ebay for less than $10 shipped.

here's something else I did. we have our wii in our office on the tv stand. so on the side of the tv stand I stuck on those 3m hooks that use adhesive and come off (supposedly) easily. and I hung all 4 wiimotes on these hooks on the side of the tv stand (facing the computer desk so they're not too apparent), and that way they are nearby but out of the way.

How do the Wii remotes and nunchuks charge, if you don't buy a charger? Do they have regular batteries in them, and I could just buy rechargeable batteries? If not, do I have to buy the charger, or is there another way to charge them?

How do the Wii remotes and nunchuks charge, if you don't buy a charger? Do they have regular batteries in them, and I could just buy rechargeable batteries? If not, do I have to buy the charger, or is there another way to charge them?

I highly recommend the charger. It comes with rechargables, and different backs for the remotes (because you sit them in the charger). We just return the remotes to the cradle (on the kitchen counter) at the end of the evening. I can't imagine what batteries would cost!

Oh, and nunchucks don't use their own power - they just plug into the remote and use that power.

We use Energizer rechargeables for our Wii, it seemed more cost effective than the charger system.
Whichever you choose, you will need something that charges. The wii remotes eat through some AAs!
What I love about the Wii is the fact that it is ready to play, out of the box. You can take a week or more just playing the wii sports that is included.
Also, with 6, you will need a timer of some sort to cut down the "ITS MY TURN" Drama!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3347953

This wii bundle at TRU seems like a good deal. The game alone is $50, the extra wiimote and nunchuck would run about $60, plus the console for $250. Of course, shipping will kill you, so if you can find it in the store that's better.

I wasn't sure if you were asking about what accessories to buy, or where to find the wii. In terms of accessories, so far we've bought 3 additional wiimotes (costco has a nunchuck/wiimote bundle for $51.99). we've bought 2 extra steering wheels (although my kids prefer the nunchuck for mario kart). I bought a usb powered remote charger (although if you plug it into the back of your wii it only charges while the wii is turned on, which means you can't use whichever remote is charging while you are playing). Next time I will just get a charger with an AC adaptor.

we went nuts buying games, and the only 2 we ever play are the wii sports that came with the machine and mario kart.

at first I did not like the wii fit, but it has grown on me. I use it for 10-20 minutes after work to do some stepping or aerobic games, and then about 20 min before bed to do yoga and stretching. so if you decide to get a wii fit, I would highly recommend getting a silicon cover for it. I got mine on ebay for less than $10 shipped.

here's something else I did. we have our wii in our office on the tv stand. so on the side of the tv stand I stuck on those 3m hooks that use adhesive and come off (supposedly) easily. and I hung all 4 wiimotes on these hooks on the side of the tv stand (facing the computer desk so they're not too apparent), and that way they are nearby but out of the way.

My Mom and Dad have offered to buy this for my DD's this xmas so I have been doing some research. It is my understanding that the Wii console comes w/ one wiimote included and is approx $250. It looks as though this bundles from TRU has 1 extra wiimote, 2 nunchucks and the mario game. That does seem like a good deal. I just have a couple of questions...

First off, do you need the nunchucks as well as the wiimotes?

Also, has anyone played the Mario olympic game? Im wondering if it is easy/fun to use. My DD's are 8 and 11 and are not gasmers at all. This will be their first game system ever! :thumbsup2

Sorry if Im hijacking the thread but I too, am trying to figure out exactly what I need so we're ready to go!

TIA! :goodvibes

Each of the remotes uses 2 AA batteries. The nunchucks don't need a powersource, they draw from the remotes.

And like a PP, we use rechargable batteries. An off-brand charging system for 4 remotes ususally runs around $50. (And a 2 remote system will run about $25) An 8-pack of AA rechargable batteries usually costs around $25, but you would need more than 8 to be able to play while recharging.

Paula70, a lot of games require the nunchucks. It should say on the back of the games in the upper right hand corner, whether or not the game requires the nunchuck. Not all games require them, but a lot do.

I am pricing the batteries vs the docking station. So I can get 8 rechargeable batteries for less then the dock BUT I still have to get the battery charger which is another 20. So I think the dock is cheaper?

I am pricing the batteries vs the docking station. So I can get 8 rechargeable batteries for less then the dock BUT I still have to get the battery charger which is another 20. So I think the dock is cheaper?

That's why I had gotten the dock. For some people who already have a recharger, it would be less expensive to get just some more batteries. Then again, look around the house and see how many batteries you use - maybe it would be cheaper long term to invest in a recharger for other toys / remotes / etc?

We don't use anything that takes batteries. :) We have leapsters with chargers and that is about it. So I think for us the Dock will work best.

Has anyone bought the extra wheel for the driving games? They sell one that is just like the one that comes with the Mario Kart, but there is also a Nerf covered wheel that you can buy for a little more. Is the Nerf one worth the extra money? I ordered the regular plastic one, but DH has very kindly informed me that the "nerf one was way better". Like he would know!

You can play right out of the box if you just buy the console for $250. It will have a game disk in it with several games, the controller and nunchuck. I think (but am not certain) you'll want batteries as well.

Most people get a second controller and nunchuck - which will let two people play - and up to four can play some games if you have four controllers.

Everything else is up to you. We have Mario Cart and it got played for ten minutes - but the Wii Fit gets used a lot - other families love Mario Cart. Wii Sports and Wii Play get played a lot (one of them comes with the Wii but I can't remember which). We have rechargable batteries for the rest of our electronics and use those.

Generally bundles are a wash - you can buy the pieces seperately for about the same price - do your math. If you want what is in the bundle and you can only find the bundle, its a good deal to buy one - but don't buy a bundle if you don't want all the contents of the bundle.

Also, you won't find bargains - anyone selling it for less than or more than list is endangering their supply with Nintendo. And they will be in short supply this Christmas again (this year you can blame the weak dollar - Nintendo makes more selling them in Korea - so the U.S. allocation is low) - so buy one when you see it.

Has anyone bought the extra wheel for the driving games? They sell one that is just like the one that comes with the Mario Kart, but there is also a Nerf covered wheel that you can buy for a little more. Is the Nerf one worth the extra money? I ordered the regular plastic one, but DH has very kindly informed me that the "nerf one was way better". Like he would know!

We have the extra wheel (just the basic plastic one) and it works just fine. I personally don't see that a spongy wheel will help ME keep my car on the road any better. Then again, maybe I'll use that excuse next time. Hmm.... :rotfl:

Being a regular Wii player and I help out a lot on the Official Wii Thread. I just want to give you the low down on the Wii.

1. Don't buy a bundle, it is putting more money in the hands of the stores. Bungles usually include things that the store gets for next to nothing and you don't ever use. They usually also include games that no one will ever play so you are just wasting you money.

2. Don't rush out and buy rechargeable station of batteries right off the bat. Save your money. AA batteries at the highest settings last 30 to 40 hours in your Wii Remote. Spending the extra money on the charging station and then the additional cost of the batteries (which are much more expensive) you could find that you don't need to spend the extra cash. Especially if you have a wholesale club (Sams or BJ's) you can get a brick of their brand Alkyline for 10 bucks.

3. Research games, make sure you get games that you know people will play. If you have younger kids (4,5,6) Wii Sports will most likely be plenty for them. Also spend the money on Wii Play, it is a $49.99, but comes with a Wii remote so the game is really only 10 bucks. Then add a another nunchuck. That would give your family 14 games to play on christmas day. Then get the kids a gift card to Eb games, game stop, or toys r us, that would be enough to buy a game and let them go pick one out.

4. The NEW Wii Owner essentials

Cost of the Console 249.99
Cost of Wii Play 49.99
Additional Nunchuck 19.99
Total 319.97 without tax and have a great christmas

This is great info. THANK YOU

Being a regular Wii player and I help out a lot on the Official Wii Thread. I just want to give you the low down on the Wii.

1. Don't buy a bundle, it is putting more money in the hands of the stores. Bungles usually include things that the store gets for next to nothing and you don't ever use. They usually also include games that no one will ever play so you are just wasting you money.

2. Don't rush out and buy rechargeable station of batteries right off the bat. Save your money. AA batteries at the highest settings last 30 to 40 hours in your Wii Remote. Spending the extra money on the charging station and then the additional cost of the batteries (which are much more expensive) you could find that you don't need to spend the extra cash. Especially if you have a wholesale club (Sams or BJ's) you can get a brick of their brand Alkyline for 10 bucks.

3. Research games, make sure you get games that you know people will play. If you have younger kids (4,5,6) Wii Sports will most likely be plenty for them. Also spend the money on Wii Play, it is a $49.99, but comes with a Wii remote so the game is really only 10 bucks. Then add a another nunchuck. That would give your family 14 games to play on christmas day. Then get the kids a gift card to Eb games, game stop, or toys r us, that would be enough to buy a game and let them go pick one out.

Cost of Wii Play 49.99

Ordered ours from Barnes and Noble dot com on 10/26. Was directed there by Wiialerts dot com. Charged $15 for shipping, and got an email with shipping tracking number today. Not sure if it is the best deal, but it was quick and easy, and will be under the tree and ready to play on Christmas morning.

So happy that I found this thread-Thanks:) Last holiday I tried to get the Wii-didn't go too crazy but I tried. I actually thought that I might have better luck getting it after Christmas for my ds's birthday-no luck! Even though some of the nieces and nephews say that they don't use it much my kids still think that it would be great fun.

Well, I have been looking online for the past few weeks and just wasn't happy with the items in the bundles or the ones that I wanted were not available. Walked into Walmart yesterday and wound up getting the wii fit:thumbsup2 then headed up to BJ's and got the perfect Sports Bundle for $399. It included an extra wiimote and nunchuck and 4 games that I think my kids will love:thumbsup2 I am so excited and can't wait to play it with them on 12/25.

Cost of Wii Play 49.99

Thanks for this! I am thinking about getting one for my kids for Christmas. I just came to try to find out the difference between the wii and the wii bundle. This is really helpful!

I have been in Target many times and seen them. I generally go during the week and early in the morning after the kids get on the bus.

We have had a Wii for a while and I have to say that we love to get games at Gamestop. If you purchase a used game, you have 7 days to try it and if you don't like ti you can return it for and exchange. It has worked great for us for the DS as well as the Wii.

My DDs are 7 & 9. We play with Mario Kart, Wii Sports (that comes with it for free), Mario Party 8 (up to 4 people can play), and WiiFit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter