Buying a used above ground pool?

kellia

DIS Veteran
We have an Intex metal frame pool (15' x 4') that we've used 2 summers. Our neighbor has an above ground pool slightly bigger that he wants to get rid of and will sell us very cheap. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons to having a "real" pool to the Intex ones? Obviously it would be nice not to have to put it up, take it down and not have to vacuum the pool with the thing on the end of the hose! Any ideas how long we can expect the Intex one to last? Would our homeowner's insurance go up if we had a permanent pool and would it cost much more to run? Has anyone ever moved one that was set up and did it work okay after that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know about homeowners insurance, but; my aunt moved a very large pool 3 summers ago. It was free and needed a new liner. It has worked great for her. I think the most work was getting the ground level for the pool.

not sure what a Intex pool is but I have a huge doughboy pool it is above ground and is 24'x 48', it has to be on as close to level ground you can get if it is a oval one like ours it had side braces on it that had to be set into the ground on concert. I was going to give it away last year cause it was to expensive for chemicals and cleaning took to much time, I was told by the pool place I bought it that one it was taken down the liner(vinyl) would shrink and it would not fit back in that pool, that once the water is removed it starts shrinking and to purchase another liner that larger was hundreds of dollars so it still sets out in my yard growing old as I am. lol. one thing to is some vinyl liner pools can be dug down and the liner expands so you can have a deeper end, at least the Doughboy pools could.

I would make sure it has a good pump and cleaning system. Our Intex pool turned green 2x last summer and had to be dumped and refilled. I would hate to have to do that with a "real" pool. Of course the people at the pool store told us if we bought an inground pool it would be much easier to take care of. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

I sell above ground pools and in our county and city it is not considered a permenant pool.
Is is coming with the filtering system-these system are better than the ones that come with an Intex pool-they have more powerful pumps. Depending on the size of the liner it should not be more than $400. At my store a 24 round liner cost about 279 for a blue and 349 for a printed.
As far as moving one that would not be a problem if you still have all the parts. Sometimes finding parts like bottom tracks for older pools can be difficult. The chemicals can be a little tricky as far as prices go depending on what you use. I would be more than happy to help you if you have any more questions you can just email me at dinolydia@yahoo.com

When we sold our pool to a neighbor, we just waited to take it down until they were ready to put it up, eliminating the need for a new liner. It wasnt hard, but then we had a lot of neighbors helping. we bought it used (it was 5 yrs old) used it for about 8 yrs and they still have it 10 yrs later. they finally replaced the liner last summer.

Our intex lasted 4-5 years. It was worth the money, but every year it got harder to put up and level.. I want a regular above ground pool next.

We had a huge oval above the ground pool with a deck, fence, everything. We gave it to one of DH's co-workers. That was about 8 years ago and its still up at his house and he's using it. The only thing he had to buy was a new liner (around $400 at the time).

I sell above ground pools and in our county and city it is not considered a permenant pool.
Is is coming with the filtering system-these system are better than the ones that come with an Intex pool-they have more powerful pumps. Depending on the size of the liner it should not be more than $400. At my store a 24 round liner cost about 279 for a blue and 349 for a printed.
As far as moving one that would not be a problem if you still have all the parts. Sometimes finding parts like bottom tracks for older pools can be difficult. The chemicals can be a little tricky as far as prices go depending on what you use. I would be more than happy to help you if you have any more questions you can just email me at dinolydia@yahoo.com

What do you think about the Intex salt system pumps? We are debating between looking on Craig's list for a used above ground pool or just getting this salt system for the Intex pool we have (18'). If we do get a used AG pool, is there a salt system thats better than the pumps that come with them? Thanks :)

Thanks for all of the replies! :goodvibes I think we'll go ahead and get it since it would be about the same price as a new Intex that we'll probably need in a year or soon. I didn't really want an above ground because I didn't want that kind of "commitment", but I guess for that price I won't feel too bad if we ended up getting rid of it in a couple of years.

I'd be interested in any comments about the salt water, too. Dh wants to do that after we swam in of of those in Florida! He actually called Intex and spoke with someone who said you can get the salt water conversion kit for $150. He thought that it might be the same price as a summer's worth of chemicals, but we hadn't fully looked into it.

Thanks for all of the replies! :goodvibes I think we'll go ahead and get it since it would be about the same price as a new Intex that we'll probably need in a year or soon. I didn't really want an above ground because I didn't want that kind of "commitment", but I guess for that price I won't feel too bad if we ended up getting rid of it in a couple of years.

I'd be interested in any comments about the salt water, too. Dh wants to do that after we swam in of of those in Florida! He actually called Intex and spoke with someone who said you can get the salt water conversion kit for $150. He thought that it might be the same price as a summer's worth of chemicals, but we hadn't fully looked into it.

I easily spent $150 in chemicals for our Intex pool last year - finally learned its cheaper to empty it and start over than to try to fight the green!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter