• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying a puppy

If I have learned one thing about having a puppy is that first impressions mean a lot. My puppy was an only child so to speak so we have had more dog socialization issues but we are working through it. Make sure you spend time with the puppy, maybe even visit more than once. You get to know the dogs personalities and which ones are bubbly and excitable, and which ones are more mellow or independent. Meet the parents. We found out after the fact that our puppy's dad was a trouble maker in his younger years...it runs in the family. Enjoy the process, you don't have to commit to the first puppy (easier said than done in a room full of fluff balls).

I have a bichon-shih tzu and he is the sweetest little guy. He is our first pet and my son had wanted a dog for several years. I didn't know we were ready until I saw him. I was out doing garage sales and they had 4 week old puppies. I had to run home to grab my son and the puppy picked us. We got to go visit a couple times before we got to take him home. I must say he has completely changed our lives.

Please consider a rescue, or a shelter dog.
There are so many dogs needing homes, and many of the pounds have pure breds in them, if that's what you must have.
I had one pure bred, a Lhasa Apso, years ago, and she couldn't compare to the many mutts I have had over the years.

Friends just got a sheltie from the Sheltie Rescue group- what a great dog!

I agree that you should go with your gut- if the dog displays anything that concerns you- move on.
Good luck!:thumbsup2

Don't think that you can't afford a puppy from a show breeder. You might be surprised. Often times their puppies are more affordable than puppies from a backyard breeder. I recently bought a puppy from a well known, reputable show breeder for a very affordable price. The breeder had the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen, and I never dreamed I would be able to afford one of her puppies. Someone mentioned that it wouldn't hurt to call her and ask, and sure enough, I found I could afford one of her puppies after all. He was sold to me on a neuter agreement, which I was planning to have done regardless. His father is an imported champion show dog and his mother is pointed. He is an absolutely stunning puppy, and I'm thrilled I took the chance and contacted a show breeder to buy my puppy from. I look at owning a dog as a 15 year (or more) commitment, and I want to make sure I get exactly what I am looking for. Good luck to you in finding the perfect puppy for your family. :lovestruc

Do find a reputable breeder in your area and insist on seeing the parents and also where the puppy has been raised. We have 6 Yorkies (in the family - not all at my house) and now my grown daughter breeds them. I can easily recommend the kennel where we purchased one of them stringercreekkennels.com. They are in Alabama and do have shih tzu puppies....but it is quite possible that they can recommend someone in your area. Good luck!!

Hello

We are looking to adopt a Yorkie...Can you give me some info... That would be Wonderful

What is wrong with a breeder that advertises in the newspaper? Everyone says to go with a reputable breeder - so what is the difference between a reputable breeder and a non-reputable breeder? And why can you assume that someone is not reputable just because they advertise in the newspaper?

We just got a puppy last year and had many of the same questions the OP had. We finally were so confused and discouraged by everything people were telling us that we just got out the newspaper. We found a breeder who lived about an hour away from us who had puppies that would be available when we wanted to get one. We went there and visited and picked our puppy. We met the mother, dad did not live at the same house but we got his picture and info on him. Pups are AKC registered and have several championships in their lines. Our dog came with a health guarantee and we had health info on both parents. We were happy and got our puppy who has turned out to be the perfect dog for us. I know we didn't do what most here are advocating but it worked out just fine for us.

deedeetoo.....I'm happy that things worked out for you, but let me say you were lucky and that is not the norm. Generally, the newspaper ads are the backyard breeders that don't look into the health testing. Like for example, with Newfoundlands you have to do hip checks and eye checks and with Shelties you have to worry about that and VonWillebrands. Most reputable breeders will already have an idea where some of their puppies will go after the breeding before they're born and generally don't have a lot of litters. The Sheltie breeder we got our Sheltie from is lucky if she has one litter every two years and most times the pups are almost all spoken for before they're even born.

I guess that we went about it in a crazy way. We just knew that we wanted a fuzzy, indoor dog. Beyond that, we just visited breeders that we knew until we found the breed that chose us. Then, we asked for a female and were told that we could have the first pick of the next litter, which luckily turned out to be 5 females! We visited the litter at 3 days old and then once a week until the puppies were old enough to go home. We were VERY lucky that we got to see mom and dad dogs and to interact with the entire litter for 8 weeks or so.
The person who said that dogs have different personalities even within the same litter hit the nail on the head. We chose? a standoffish puppy who just didn't seem to interact much with her littermates; we knew then that Isabella already thought that she was a human.

Isabella is the first dog of our family and the first indoor dog that any of us have had. Most days we don't know what we did before we got a dog.

Oh, she is a shih tzu--registered. We are NOT breeding her b/c we couldn't part with our "granddogs."
Our shih tzu can be stubborn; she loves everyone, but hates other dogs either around "her" family or even outside the window--VERY protective. She loves to cuddle up against me on the couch and take a nap--shih tzus seem to sleep a lot, but are also willing (and love to) walk outside and play with balls.
Their hair needs to be brushed daily and washed at least weekly; good grooming is necessary unless you have a short "puppy cut." Isabella was fairly easy to train--VERY smart--but know that shih tzus will really only obey if they are in the mood to do so.
Anyway, one big point in favor of a good breeder is that you may be allowed to choose a puppy after visiting with the litter several times.

Be sure you are ready, a puppy takes alot of time and dedication. Well worth it, absolutely, but be prepared.
Since you haven't had a dog before, maybe you should consider contacting a local rescue group and offering to foster a dog. That would give you an idea of what owning a dog is like and if you are truly ready to take that step.
A great place to find more info is:
www.petfinder.com

This is GREAT advice!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish many more would take that advice.

Also be aware, the smaller the dog the longer it takes to potty train. I have known many small dogs who have been training for a year or more, are you ready to deal with that? (my golden took 4weeks, while my lab took 1 week, it was all in how they were cared for as a pup!)

Good luck! and if ANYONE ever wants any advice or help in chosing the perfect family member please feel free to get in contact with me. I used to breed, I now rescue, train and show my dogs in obedience.

Becky

Ben, CGC, TDI, CD, RN = 4 year old Golden with major medical issues due to poor quality breeding.

I would definately try to find a puppy/dog that maybe like 8 mos to year old. I know puppies are really cute, but like PP said they take a lot of time, not that a dog doesn't but if you could find a puppy/dog that is still on the young side, but already housebroken, that would be great for you and your family.

Looking a shelters is a great way, but unfortunately you don't usually find young or small dogs in shelters. They tend to be large older dogs that their owners don't want anymore. It is very sad.

You could also contact some of your local vets, some vets have bulletin boards in their office where people can leaves ads, or your local pet food store (not a pet store that sells dogs), PetCo or PetSmart.

You can also check out PetFinder.com or Puppyfind.com.

Good Luck.

We love our Shih Tzu!!:lovestruc :lovestruc

She is by far the best dog we have ever had with respect to the children. She is very mellow, loves when the children pick her up and cuddle her and she has enough energy to keep up with them.

We adopted her when she was 2years old. After her previous family stopped breeding her, they didn't want her any more.

I don't know where you are in PA...but when I checked www.petfinder.org, there were over 20 Shih Tzu & Shih Tzu-mix dogs in PA. I know it's a big state, but maybe there is a little dog close to you that will be suitable for your family.

A good rescue group will work with you to learn about your family & then help find the right dog for you. And since this is the budget board, it should be noted that a rescued dog will usually already be fully vaccinated, spayed/neutered & microchipped so you will save a lot of money rescuing a dog. To do all of that in the first year can cost $400-$600.

Good luck looking for your new family member!!

I second Petfinder! There are many purebred dogs and even puppies looking for homes listed there. Usually, these are with rescue organizations and in foster homes.

Marsha

I'm going to through a caution out with rescuing a dog.

While its great to rescue, sometimes you can not be entirely sure of their past and issues that may have happened in the past.

Some rescues work great at working a dog through these issues; however, some don't.

My husband & I are decent dog knowledge people. We have one dog who we have had since he was 10 weeks old and is great. In September, we rescued a 9 month old dog from a rescue near where we lived. Its now at a point where I have to have a private trainer come in to work with us as there are things that normal obediance training is unable to fix. I love the dog don't get me wrong; however, he's a lot more work than the dog we have had since he was a puppy.

I agree, you just need to take extra precautions in your selection depending on the age of your children.

I'm going to through a caution out with rescuing a dog.

While its great to rescue, sometimes you can not be entirely sure of their past and issues that may have happened in the past.

Some rescues work great at working a dog through these issues; however, some don't.

My husband & I are decent dog knowledge people. We have one dog who we have had since he was 10 weeks old and is great. In September, we rescued a 9 month old dog from a rescue near where we lived. Its now at a point where I have to have a private trainer come in to work with us as there are things that normal obediance training is unable to fix. I love the dog don't get me wrong; however, he's a lot more work than the dog we have had since he was a puppy.

try petfinder.com
a rescue dog is doing the right thing

The right thing for who? This family, my family who has the right to say that??
Is rescuing a dog a good thing? sure, but it also can be very bad for the family dinamics and that pet could end up right back at the shelter.

I am by no means an expert but when you adopt a dog it is usually up for adoption for a reason. Some might be because the owner's life changed and they can no longer care for it. However many times I would think it is because the dog has very bad trates that were brought about by poor training or has serious health problems that no one wants to take on. Now you might be telling someone who does not have the patience to retrain a dog or afford for the pets high vet expenses.

I really think it just depends on the family to make the right choice for thier family, not what others tell you is the right thing. The family should decide for themselves what they want to take on.

What is wrong with a breeder that advertises in the newspaper? Everyone says to go with a reputable breeder - so what is the difference between a reputable breeder and a non-reputable breeder? And why can you assume that someone is not reputable just because they advertise in the newspaper?

"Reputable" is in the eye of the beholder -- there are top winning breeders I wouldn't recommend for one second, and plenty of modest ones I would. However, anybody who's active showing dogs generally does not need to advertise their pups because they already have a waiting list or it's easy enough via word of mouth from one breeder to another to hook people up when they have a litter. Litters in the newspaper tend to be from novices or puppy mills.

The best way to identify a good breeder is to start going to local dog shows (shows will be listed on the websites of various superintendents-- in the Northeast it's usually MBF (www.infodog.com), but you can do searches Dog Show superintendents and check out their websites. The AKC website will list your local clubs, and by going to their websites you can identify upcoming shows. Breed clubs also hold "matches" which are probably your best bet for casual conversation -- they're basically practice shows for puppies, and extremely informal. If nothing else you can get your fix of puppy kisses!

A good breeder will be more interested in whether YOU deserve one of her puppies than trying to sell you one. A good breeder will brag about all the health testing (every breed has issues, and every good breeder will be looking to spot and eliminate those issues at the first opportunity, not shrug them off or deny they exist). If you ask about an upcoming litter and the response is "they're $500, they'll be ready on the first of next month -- which one do you want?" run. A good breeder may not even know what will be available, especially in a breed that has multiple colors or patterns. The breeder won't likely choose which pup SHE is going to keep until the 8 week mark (or longer) so may only have the vaguest idea which one(s) will be staying and which one(s) will be going.

But it pays to be patient, because a well bred litter is carefully bred for temperament and health as well as beauty. And whatever you pay on the front end is likely to be saved in vet bills. No guarantee, but a good bet.

The sire is unlikely to be on site, because a good breeder is going to be looking for the very BEST possible sire for her pups, and the likelihood of owning him herself is less than the likelihood of him being out there somewhere -- also, dogs in her house are likely to be closely related.

Good luck with your search -- take your time-- it's worth the wait!

And if you don't want to go the breeder route, by all means support a good local shelter/rescue (local breed clubs should have a referral for that, also). In my experience in our breed, the vast majority of rescues are simply 8-9 month old untrained dogs that are no longer cute enough to make up for their lack of manners. It's not their fault nobody trained them -- they just need basic obedience and somebody who will be firm and consistent. However, my breed is larger, so with small dogs the rescue population may be older.

A good and conscientious breed rescue group will be able to make the distinction between dogs that simply need training and those that have actual behavioral issues.

The right thing for who? This family, my family who has the right to say that??
Is rescuing a dog a good thing? sure, but it also can be very bad for the family dinamics and that pet could end up right back at the shelter.

I am by no means an expert but when you adopt a dog it is usually up for adoption for a reason. Some might be because the owner's life changed and they can no longer care for it. However many times I would think it is because the dog has very bad trates that were brought about by poor training or has serious health problems that no one wants to take on. Now you might be telling someone who does not have the patience to retrain a dog or afford for the pets high vet expenses.

I really think it just depends on the family to make the right choice for thier family, not what others tell you is the right thing. The family should decide for themselves what they want to take on.

We have rescued three of the four dogs we've had in the last 30 years (two adults, one puppy) and they were all fantastic. If you adopt from a rescue, the dog has generally been in foster care for a bit and they can tell you if there are any problems the dog might have with potty training, etc. Our current adult dog is very shy due to probable abuse as a puppy, but we knew that because the rescue told us.

I would highly recommend an adult dog if you don't want to go through the torment of house training. :)

I would also like to ad that just because a dog is AKC registered, does not mean they aren't a puppy mill dog. The AKC will register any purebred as long as they have the right papers, puppy mill or otherwise. So don't think "AKC" means you are getting a dog from a quality breeder.

Good luck in your search! Dogs are a huge amount of work, but I can't imagine not having a dog. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter