Buying a puppy online???

But you again are trusting in what this "breeder" said. For all you know it could be others dog puppy and they just used that as a selling point. Specially in a puppy mill situation.

AKC frequently does random DNA testing, particularly if a dog has been bred several times. Even evil people who breed for money are unlikely to falsify papers. They could lose their AKC privledges.

I think puppy mill is a broad brush that anyone who breeds dogs tends to get painted with. I worked in a vet clinic for many years and we had several breeders who used our services. We also did kennel inspections. Licensed USDA breeders are subject to random inspections, AKC inspections, and depending on the state, possibly state inspections.

AKC frequently does random DNA testing, particularly if a dog has been bred several times. Even evil people who breed for money are unlikely to falsify papers. They could lose their AKC privledges.

I think puppy mill is a broad brush that anyone who breeds dogs tends to get painted with. I worked in a vet clinic for many years and we had several breeders who used our services. We also did kennel inspections. Licensed USDA breeders are subject to random inspections, AKC inspections, and depending on the state, possibly state inspections.

From my experience I do not like the AKC as an organization at all. Their quality control is very poor at best. When I contacted about my puppy mill puppy they did nothing. My friend had a similar situation with a backyard breeder and again they did nothing. Just a week ago I meet a guy at the vet with 2 ACK register poodles with bad genetic problems and they did nothing as they breeder still selling puppies even thought his dogs have to be at the vet every week. The backyard breeder still selling puppies. We tried to fight about the puppy mill we got our dog from and they vanish but I am sure they probably still selling puppies some where else. The amount of dogs that are register to AKC with genetic problems are so high that it is a sign that it not working like it should. I could not trust an organization like that to be a valuable resource. In fact now that I think it thru of all people that have AKC register dogs only one has not showed signs of bad genetics.

My sister and I did get our pups from a breeder out of state. We had a lot of contact and pics but never met the pups. Abby is now 5 and is perfect.
I think a puppy should be OK online through a reputable source...about 8-10 weeks old. Any dog older than that, I would like to meet and get a connection with.

Good Luck and enjoy your puppy

My sister and I did get our pups from a breeder out of state. We had a lot of contact and pics but never met the pups. Abby is now 5 and is perfect.
I think a puppy should be OK online through a reputable source...about 8-10 weeks old. Any dog older than that, I would like to meet and get a connection with.

Good Luck and enjoy your puppy

This reminds me that a good friend has bought three Airedales from the same out of state breeder. Each dog has been beautiful, well tempered, and healthy. And two are quite old now.

I was looking at the Waterford Rescue, and most of their rescues start at $300. And $225 isn't very far from 300 bucks, so I'm not sure why you are trying to say I'm lying. I'm looking at a Springer Spaniel, and there are no puppies in our state. And I've been looking for awhile. I do see one in Ohio.

The purebred dogs from a breeder are about $450 - $600. So the price just isn't that different. And with that I get a puppy from a breeder with parents on the premises, can check out the bloodlines. I can go and visit and spend enough time with them and their dogs until I feel comfortable. The come with health guarantees, and will take the dog back if we were unable to keep it (highly unlikely). So that's likely the route we'll go.

In light of my previous bad experience with a rescue, and because all I get is hostile vibes from many rescues, it's hard to see going that route again. I feel I got really burned the last time.

Just trying to keep it somewhat budget related and would hate for readers to think that all shelters/rescues in the Detroit area charge more than $300. $125 IS far off and there are purebred dogs at that agency and they are 100% vetted.. so to stay budget related, and to not scare people from adopting because of price, I thought it was important to point out...

In the photo of the animals, I have seen much worse.

The rescue I cofounded saved a dog with its eyeball hanging from it's face. I also have video of the amish miller bringing a golden doodle puppy to the woman who was picking it up for us .. holding it by the front paws and swinging it like a purse. The puppy didn't make it. I didn't think those photos/clips were appropriate for this board but I agree.. I've seen worse too:(

I have been to puppy mill auctions. AKC had a table there and gave papers to pretty much anybody with $15. USDA inspectors were standing with the auctioneers laughing when a reporter came in and said he'd like to fling dog @#*$ at her. The USDA inspector we talked to said to me "yeah you see cages and you get those pictures but you don't see INSIDE the barns where the dogs go and it looks like a 5 star motel in there"... many USDA inspectors (and there aren't enough to handle the large number of breeders) have heavily lined pockets!

cnlmom just remember, Mike Vick's dogs were able to be rehabbed and some are even therapy dogs now. Even those bred to be aggressive (to other dogs) can be "fixed"... but you are right, I would not recommend ANY terrier breed to MANY people looking for a dog for their family... unless they are willing to train their dog from the day they get it.. Pits just happen to be a bigger breed of terrier than most who get away with being mean little dogs because people think it's cute (i've seen way too many snippy yorkies sitting in women's purses!)

cnlmom just remember, Mike Vick's dogs were able to be rehabbed and some are even therapy dogs now. Even those bred to be aggressive (to other dogs) can be "fixed"... but you are right, I would not recommend ANY terrier breed to MANY people looking for a dog for their family... unless they are willing to train their dog from the day they get it.. Pits just happen to be a bigger breed of terrier than most who get away with being mean little dogs because people think it's cute (i've seen way too many snippy yorkies sitting in women's purses!)

Agreed, some can be and were rehabbed, however there are still several at living out the rest of their lives in a sanctuary as they simply are not adoptable into a family setting.
Unfortunatly there are way way way to many Pits and to few people raising them correctly and even less people able to rehab one. For the average person they are way to much dog. Also agreed with the terrier thing...I love love love terriers but they can on occassion be snappy little suckers regardless of where they were bred or how raised. But nothing cuter than a Cairn's button eyes!! My first dog as an adult was a Cairn....loved her for 16 years. However now I have two children and know a Cairn is not the best choice for us at this point in my life.

There is a puppy mill rescue in CO. I'm sure there must be others throughout the country. You can get the specific breed you want and rescue a dog at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter