Buying a new RV

I'm confused about the "if it's not new we don't want it" mentality. I bought my RV as a bank repossession - 7,000 miles on it - originally sold for $155,000 - I paid $60,000. It looked almost brand new (without the plastic). If someone else wants to drive it off the lot and depreciate by that much - hey, let them!

I suppose it depends on how "not new" it is. Obviously your "used" RV is barely so...nice score!

We bought a "new to us" travel trailer last Sept. Its a 2001 30' Sunline Solaris. No slides, but does have a triple bunk in the back for our 3 kids (12, 9 & 7). It is in GREAT shape, though did have a slight moldy smell, but I've since taken care of that. The family we bough it from was the 3rd owner, they only had it a little more than a year but had to sell for financial reasons. The guy he bough it from only used it 4 times in 3 years and the original owner used it a lot, but only to bring it near the beach so they could have electricity and water. Never used it at a campground. It looks like its only a few years old, not 13 years old. Sometimes you get lucky.

We bought after borrowing my cousins 32' travel trailer last summer. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer. Its been a tough ride, but I'm still going strong. We we camped in my cousins trailer last summer it was one of the best weeks we've had as a family. I was at the end of my recovery from my 3rd surgery and spending a week in the outdoors was about the best thing for me. I didn't have all the regular aches and pains that I had for the previous 7 months. Walking and biking around the campground was great for my joints. After that DW was finally convinced that we should get our own trailer. While its been sitting in the yard for 7 months it has never once occurred to us to think of the financial "loss" of buying it. The kids slept in it for the first 4 weekends we had it. We already have 4 camping trips booked for the summer and will probably do 1 or 2 others. Last summer my then 6 year old finally learned how to ride a 2 wheel bike while at the campground. We spent time with my parents, my cousins and a few aunts and uncles. One of our trips this summer will be to a cousins wedding in upstate New York (we're in the Boston area). We're going to make it a 3 night weekend and stay at a campground which is only $150 for the 3 nights. My sister is staying at the hotel where the wedding is and is paying $140 for 1 night. We're also going to camp near my sisters house in Northern New Jersey. She now has 2 kids and a small house, so us coming down with 5 and staying at her house is pretty much out of the question.

If things stay well with my health, I may be able to convince DW to camp at the Fort in April '15. :-)

Our first camper was a 1985 Starcraft Galaxy 24 we bought in 2006?. We really just bought it to haul our luggage around in ( we have a camper van) and provide a "spare room/screen porch" but we fell in love with it. We paid $750 off Craigs list for it.

Big box camper with awning, shower, sink, fridge, stove that can also be moved outside, dinette table that can be hooked to the camper outside, king bed, queen bed, twin dinette bed. We painted it, put down a pretty floor, updated the curtains and it turned out great. We actually still have it even though we've upgraded twice since purchasing it.

Since y'all are already tent campers, a pop up would be a logical next step, is lightweight enough to be pulled by your current vehicle, is cheap enough that you can probably get one for cash (avoiding a payment), and would give you all the comforts of an RV while still keeping a tent camping feel.

Here's an example, this is an incredible steal since it has the shower/toilet combo, plus an oven. I can't believe he's selling the screen room with it, those can go for around $750.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/rvs/4441296663.html

I'm confused about the "if it's not new we don't want it" mentality. I bought my RV as a bank repossession - 7,000 miles on it - originally sold for $155,000 - I paid $60,000. It looked almost brand new (without the plastic). If someone else wants to drive it off the lot and depreciate by that much - hey, let them!

It is just the way we are I Guess, back last year, I think, we where given a Coachman popup, it is at least 12 yrs. old. The lift system over the hitch needs to be replaced, but is still able to be set up with a wench and a lot of walking back and forth.

I spent several weekends cleaning everything up and putting new carpet down.
The canvas is in good condition and the screens have just a few small holes in them. We know the owner of the trailer, he bought it new and bought a new one and gave us the pup.

Well, we were already to spend a night in it to see if the mattresses were comfy enough, and we just could not do it. The kids had a great time in it and have used it for sleep overs.

I offered it to a guy at work to turn into a fishing shanty, before he came over and looked at it I had it all set up, lights running off battery power and the heater running. He looked at me and said it was in to good of condition to make it into a shanty. So it has been folded up on our lot for the winter, packed and ready to go to the Fort. Have to set it up and take everything out and put it with the tent.

I don't know how to post a link, but it is located: campsite marker for Dis members, on second page, post #27

One good thing to think and look at is go to different RV shows...Look at all the models and see what you like in each one of them. Go back home and make a list of what your likes and dislikes. That is what my parents did when they were making the decision to buy a 5th wheel. It took them almost 3 yrs to decide what they wanted.

Another tip is since you would be a 1st time buyer, there are some great deals that the dealerships offer. It is kind of like buying a car without a trade-in, they will throw a lot off to get you to buy and a lot of the times, the deals are better than you can even think of.

Another option is that if you have a show coming up, check about a month or two after the show at local dealers. They will have a smaller "show" of the trade-ins. I know the local Camping World dealer here in Harrisburg, will have an after show, show for the trade-ins.

I went with my parents to one of these shows, and that is when they decided to buy theirs. Now, the dealer didn't have what they wanted in stock, so they ordered it.

They use theirs (they are both retired now), mainly in January/February and early March to go to Florida. We also use it two weekends in the summer going to the Dover NASCAR races.

The biggest reason my parents wanted the camper was like other said, they know who slept in the bed the night before, who has cleaned and when it was cleaned.

We looked at used, but the ones we looked at were not that good a shape. In fact, I felt like I needed a tetanus shot just for walking in some of them.
Sounds like you got a good find.

It takes patience, lots of looking, and a little luck to find a good one!

We lucked up last year and bought a "Used" 2013 32 foot bunk house with super slide. The owners couldn't tow the RV they really wanted so "settled for" the bunk house and tricked it out with all the options, surround sound, entertainment package, power everything, etc, etc. Two months after they bought it, they bought a new tow vehicle, took the bunk house back to the dealer and said "take it back, and give us the one we originally wanted".

Oven was still wrapped, plastic still on everything, I bet they never even used it. Must be nice to have that kind of money to toss around LOL!

We got a HUGE discount because technically it was used and the dealer was getting ready for all the new 2014s to come in.

I desperately want to make the jump from my 29 ft bumper pull to a Fifth wheel to get the bigger bedroom and more storage but I'm about to retire from firefighting and returning to aviation. In the process I may be going overseas for 9 months. I would recommend looking at Light by Open Range line of fifth wheel. They are designed to be towed by 1/2 ton trucks. They list over $50,000 but can be bought for around 38.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter