Buying a legacy resort Direct from Disney now, and then selling it later, do restrictions apply.

All Star Paul

Mouseketeer
Hi there, sorry if this has been asked before, I did try to search but its a pretty specific question.

If I buy a legacy resort direct from Disney now, say AKL for example, and then I sell it later through the resale market. Would it have the same restrictions as if I had bought Riviera, would the new purchaser of my AKL contract be able to use it to book all the legacy resorts, or would they be limited to their "home" resort, if this example AKL?

Many Thanks

AKL is an O14 resort and the O14 rules apply, whether you buy it from Disney or resale. The biggest change to the RIV rules was the restrictions on the resale points to RIV, which isn’t in the O14 rules.

The O14 rules have some rules that Disney hasn’t used but could, like resorts can take themselves out of the system completely or sell or close (like covid). They can mess with the charts for non-home properties, like charging a surcharge for non-home points at VGF. But this would have to apply to everyone who isn’t VGF, because the O14 rules don’t allow this to single out a resort or resale, like RIV rules do.

So, AKL could theoretically remove itself from the system, or VGF could charge 20% to non-VGF points, but this isn’t the same restriction as the RIV resale, which is assumed to be in future properties. Future resale will likely be blocked from RIV and subsequent builds.

If you buy AKL direct, the Blue Card benefits do not pass to your resale buyer.

The only purchase that comes with a home use restriction (for resale) is Riviera. So if you are buying one of the 014 (legacy) direct from Disney, these do not have any restrictions on points and can be used at any of the properties (legacy and new, as they come).

Any resort purchased direct from Disney can be used at any resort, including Riveria. However, only Riveria is subject to the "one and only" resort resale restriction. The other resorts sold resale can be used at any of the O14 resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter