• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buyer Beware

InstImpres

DIS Veteran
I was just clicking through on some links and thought I would share my disappointment with some of you (and warn others of you). In the past there has been great debate on the "markup for shopping services" (non-Disney companies). I put this together as a guide.

Guest of Honor Badge from Disney $5.00
source A $8.95
source B $22.00

Guest of Autograph Book from Disney $6.00
source A $7.50
source B $12.00

Guest of Epcot Passport from Disney $9.95
source A $13.95
source B $19.95

While I certainly understand the concept of free enterprise (as a small business owner myself) I would hate to see anyone on these boards truly taken and that is what I believe happens with a 400% mark-up.

So please, look carefully at more than one link before purchasing.

JMHO
Sandy

I noticed that as well and thanks for posting it for everyone. I wanted to order guest of honor badges for the kids for our upcoming family reunion and was shocked at the mark up of everything from Source B!

And you should see some of the incredibly inflated shipping rates for some of these websites!

Have you tried calling Disney Merchandising direct to see if you could order the GOH badges? Supposedly you can order any merchandise offered by Disney in the parks or in the DS's from them. It may be a longshot but it certainly beats $22.00!

Heres my things (and I don't want to start a debate),

1. If people are here on the Budget Board trying to save some money, why are they buying a bunch of souveniers in the first place, let alone pre paying inflated price tags???

2. Isn't the fun of a souvenier actually buying it while your on your vacation???

Originally posted by houseofmouse
Heres my things (and I don't want to start a debate),

1. If people are here on the Budget Board trying to save some money, why are they buying a bunch of souveniers in the first place, let alone pre paying inflated price tags???
Not going to touch this one! ;)
2. Isn't the fun of a souvenier actually buying it while your on your vacation???
In some cases, yes. But in these cases (GOH badge, autograph book and Epcot passport) I can understand why someone would want to have them before they set foot at Disney. Lots of CMs recognize the GOH badges and will greet you by name. A great way to start! Often you can encounter characters as soon as you walk through the gates (depending on the time of day), so children like to have the autograph book in hand -- rather than waiting for mom or dad to run somewhere and buy one. Also, some people like to start their vacation with a character meal and having a autograph book there is a "necessity" if you want someone's signature.

...(...I don't want to start a debate),

NO! We SURELY don't want that!!! If you want a debate, please do so on the Debate Board. They will LOVE you for it over there! ::yes::

1. If people are here on the Budget Board trying to save some money, why are they buying a bunch of souveniers in the first place,

You hit the nail on the head in your first phrase "People are here on the Budget Board trying to save some money." HOW they save their money varies GREATLY from person to person. For some people saving money is staying at a Deluxe with a code rather than at rack rate. For others it is about getting the best price that you can at the Budget Resorts. Do you understand? I may not WANT to save money by not buying souveniers, but the option is there.

pre paying inflated price tags??? 2. Isn't the fun of a souvenier actually buying it while your on your vacation???

Yes SOMETIMES, but sometimes you have to pay a premium to get that special something that you missed on your last trip. Or in the case of Guest of Honor Badges, some people want to have these from the moment that they get to Disney. They are not available everywhere, like Mickey T-Shirts are at all of the gift shops and they want to save the running around.

I hope that I have explained the reasons why some people do the things that they do. We are all different and look at Budgetting in completely different ways. And none of them are "wrong."

Debate avoided! Right? :teeth:

YEP!

Just MHO thats all.....

(and I said I would never debate on this site because I come for fun...... now I've turned into one of those people you had to "talk to" Beth!!):p

... now I've turned into one of those people you had to "talk to" Beth!!):p

Nope, don't feel like I had to "talk" to you at all! It is just that that "D" word scares the heck out of me, and I knew that I needed to jump right on that right away. :) Because you are right! This board is SUPPOSED to be fun, and I am often amazed on how innocent questions and comments turn into a debate on this board.

Had a lot of that yesterday. Today (actually yesterday, but I got sidetracked yesterday) I have a check book to update and balance and LOTS of bills to pay (I can easily see how THAT comment can turn into a debate or how someone can jump all over me about that one :rolleyes: ) and I don't have time to stay on this board all day.

Hope that you have a good, FUN day here on the Budget Board. :)

...and I am often amazed on how innocent questions and comments turn into a debate on this board.

Thanks Beth, and I couldn't agree more. I'm sure InstImpres was just trying to help us stay within our budgets and not wreck them with an un-informed purchase.

Actually, that's why I posted. I rarely by park souveniers in advance (Lots of dollar store disney stuff so the kids ask for less though). I personally was not even looking for the stuff I posted about. I saw the link and clicked through, ok - I'm nosey, I wanted to know what is out there;) Well, I was obviously shocked at what I saw.

Unfortunately, some people come to the boards, see an ad and buy immediately, I posted in the hopes of maybe saving someone if they didn't know better.

BTW, I have spoken with Webmaster Pete and he is looking into it.

Have a disney day
Sandy

I have noticed alot of people are out to take people. I questioned one guy on Ebay selling $3.00 items for $15.00. I told him I just saw the same thing at the parks for $3.00 and wondered why he was selling the same for $15.00. His response was "if you do not want it, don't bid!" I realize that alot of people can not go to Disney but it is ascinine to think there are people taking advantage of them. There was one item that I wanted but did not get last year at the parks for $25.00. I found it for $75.00. I decided I would wait until I go again this year or have someone else pick it up for me. My advice to anyone going to Disney is to put a suitcase or bag inside of a suitcase so you can bring home a few things. Last year I did that and carried a duffle bag for my carry-on with the things I thought may break, like figurines etc.

I found a link as an advertisement on this board for the $22 badges. I wonder if Pete knows about these inflated prices the ads are asking.

Tigger

Originally posted by Tigger1
I found a link as an advertisement on this board for the $22 badges. I wonder if Pete knows about these inflated prices the ads are asking.

Tigger

I did e-mail Pete. I was shocked at the quick response (i expected he be a much busier guy and hard to hear back from). He seemed to genuinely appreciate my comments and was going to ""follow-up".

Sandy

Can someone tell me what the Guest of Honor badges are? And where do I buy them?

Southern

The guest of Honar badges look like a badge the castmembers wear. They say gueat of honor though and your name is printed on it. You can purchase them somewhere in the parks. Neat Souvenior.

Tigger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter