Buy her The Camera or Video camera?

DisneyNewbiie

Mouseketeer
So my family is going on our first trip to the world may 25th.Mothers day is coming and my wife is under the impression shes getting maybe a card or something small do to the money going towards the trip.I love surprising my wife plus I think shes done so much for just a card.Either way I went to Best buy today and got approved for a best buy card.So I want to buy her a new camera or video camera she does have a Digital camera thats a 7.1 megapixel and she does have a video camera one of the old ones that go to cassette that I got her 6 years ago.My question to you guys is what Do you think will benefit her more at the world?which will she use more?A better Camera one of those expensive ones or a video camera with the hard drive in them.I think its called an HDD video camera.

If you get a camcorder, make sure it is light - I have a Sony HDD HD camcorder, and we brought it, it was easy to use. In fact, if you plan on bringing the old camcorder, I would upgrade it, because it will be much lighter than your old one. Have a great trip.

DH got me a Kodak Easy Share Z1285 for bday last August which takes pictures and good videos....not sure what he spent on it...but he says a LOT :)

However I am a Dave Ramsey FREAK.... (www.daveramsey.com) so I NEVER advise anyone to buy anything on credit....

But I think if she can take pics and video that would cover both ends...

Bring extra batterys.....

Save money and buy with Cash! That's how we pay for our WDW trips!

Have a great time..!

Mary

I would definitely go with a new camcorder. I would recommend a camera that has both a built in hard drive and a removable flash drive, for added storage. Consumer Reports recommends the Panasonic SDR-H40, it has a 40GB hard drive, and it's is on sale right now at Best Buy for $230, down from $350, good deal. Several family members have this and like it. It comes with it's own software for removing the videos, editing them (nothing too fancy), burning them onto DVDs, etc. It's very small and lightweight and easy to use, although most are. I would also recommend burning the videos onto a DVD right away when you get home, digital files are too easy to accidentally delete.

Hope that helps!

I love the digital cameras that also record movies. Mine does, and it was under 100 bucks! It's a Canon Powershot A460.

Most Video's have the ability to take frame (camera style) pictures - I have an Hitachi and I can put in an SD card to take still pictures or use the mini disk to take movies. You can also edit the movies on the computer and make a picture out of any sequence -- this eliminates the need to carry two - although I do - I have Nikon D60 I take everywhere with me. Another little tidbit - we take an SD card (they are so cheap at Tiger Software) for every day of our vacation - if you ever loose the camera at least you will still have the previous days pictures.

OP--I would go with the new video camera too!!! Your digital camera will take great pics.

I had a Kodak Easy that we purchased in 2005 and it took great pics up until it was stolen. Honestly, people don't need 12 mega pixels cameras, it is just the camera companies just trying to get you to purchase another camera.

Do some research on camcorders. We just purchased a Panasonic at BestBuy brought it home video taped the kids for testing purposes and it was very grainy and we called the store and said we wanted to return it for an upgrade. The guy we spoke with at BestBuy said the brand he has not heard bad things about so far is the JVC.

Purchased the JVC and filmed my son's play and it looks great!!! We purchased a JVC Everio which has built in memory, which it can film up to 4 hours on and takes an SD card as well. It also does shoot stills, have not tried that option out yet.

Good luck on your decision. Your wife will be thrilled!!!

We have a Nikon D90. It is a DSLR camera- takes great pictures

And it takes awesome quality videos too. It is our perfect vacation camera!

Moxie & J3nn--

I also have a Nikon, don't you guys find it big to lug around WDW with you? That is the only down side I see to it. I went and purchased a point & shoot to take WDW with me just for that reason!!!

I have two questions.

Does she currently use the Video camera that you have now?
Do you ever watch the videos that you have shot?

My in-laws got us a camcorder a few years ago. I think we have used it 3-4 times. Our cameras however get used much more often.

If you decide on a digital SLR I would go for a Canon XSI or the new T1i with an 18-55IS & 55-250IS lenses. These are both decent entry level lenses that will cover 99% of your needs.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for comparisons of most all things when it comes to digital cameras.

If you get her the video camera just make sure she doesn't film everything all the time. When we got home from our trip in 2003 I realized I watched our whole vacation thru the video screen and forgot to enjoy the vacation :sad1:

Unless you intend to capture a lot of video, you are probably better of getting a new still camera that takes has an acceptable video quality. It is true, that most camcorders will take decent digital pictures, and most digital cameras will take varying qualities of video. I used to carry both my camcorder and camera around, and found I rarely used the camcorder. I always had the digital camera ready for pictures, but would have the camcorder stored in my bag. Video cameras are great if you are recording video of longer events, but for brief videos of a child playing, riding a ride, for me it is better to have my still camera that can quickly capture the moment in video.

Well heres the thing she has the camera and the video camera,In honesty she uses the camera alot more.However the big reason she really doesnt use the video camera is because the sound doesnt work on the video camera,Not to mention is goes straight to the little casettes plus we have no vcr at all in our house.So to watch the videos she only can from the video camera.She does take vids sometimes with her poiny and shoot camera but says it takes up lots of space.I cant decide on a camera but if I go with the video camera I will be sure to get her this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696342&type=product&id=1198888712859

For what its worth I'd go with the camera. We use to video a bit but now I don't even think of it. I use my camera all the time. I need photos for my scrapbooks. haha I'd love to have a better camera. Of course, that's just me though. Have fun deciding.

Lynn

For what its worth I'd go with the camera. We use to video a bit but now I don't even think of it. I use my camera all the time. I need photos for my scrapbooks. haha I'd love to have a better camera. Of course, that's just me though. Have fun deciding.

Lynn

Thanks..Thats whats making it so hard because maybe The camera is going to be the best option bacause thats what I see her use but then again The reasons she doesnt use the video camera are the reasons above.

I would buy her a camera that also takes video. I have a smaller one that takes great little video and a larger one (the S5IS) that takes AWESOME video. This way she can do both...

I say the camcorder, but make sure to get one that takes still pictures. I got a Canon Vixia for Xmas. It's pretty small, considering and takes great HD video and good quality still pics.

However, if your wife is into photography, then maybe consider a nice DSLR camera? I have a Nikon D40 and have used it to get many professional looking pictures.

Does she scrapbook? If she does...then the CAMERA!!! It's also easier to flip through photos than a movie.

I'm debating on whether to evne bring the camcorder because I can't operate both at the same time and dh has proven to NOT be a good videographer...he just doesn't want to do it.

Does she scrapbook? If she does...then the CAMERA!!! It's also easier to flip through photos than a movie.

I'm debating on whether to evne bring the camcorder because I can't operate both at the same time and dh has proven to NOT be a good videographer...he just doesn't want to do it.

No not really into scrapbook

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter