• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buy American Girl or similar?

jensen

DIS Veteran
My DD8 has been asking for an American Girl doll for Christmas this year. But, she said she doesn't care if it's the "American Girl" brand or something similar. So, I'm wondering if I should invest in the American Girl brand or if there is something out there that's close enough at a lower price point. I'd rather buy her the cheaper doll and some clothes/accessories. But, I also don't want to buy a piece of junk that she'll never play with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

American Girl all the way! The "knock offs" can be really poor quality. Plus, if for some reason she DOESN'T play with the AG, you can sell it on craigslist and recoup most of your $$:rotfl:

AG's also have stories that go with their dolls. My daughter loves to read them.

:sad1:I agree - I bought a knock off , and later DD begged me for a real AG with the books....when I bought some furniture the knock off doll didnt fit, and consequently my DD never plays with her first doll :sad1:

She does however have 2 AG dolls now and love love loves them.

I must say tho it seriously irks me that American Girl dolls are 100% made over seas...:sad2:

My DD8 has been asking for an American Girl doll for Christmas this year. But, she said she doesn't care if it's the "American Girl" brand or something similar. So, I'm wondering if I should invest in the American Girl brand or if there is something out there that's close enough at a lower price point. I'd rather buy her the cheaper doll and some clothes/accessories. But, I also don't want to buy a piece of junk that she'll never play with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Madame Alexander Dolls are very pretty

I was very happy with the Avon doll. We even compared the Avon doll right next to the American Girl doll and I liked the face on the Avon doll better. My daughter is only 4 though. She loves dolls and I am sure I will spurge for an American Girl when she gets a little bit older to actually care for it. Our poor Chloe (Avon doll) has been through the ringer and back :lmao:

Buy American Girl, you won't be disappointed. Last Christmas, my 6 yr old dd begged for an American Girl doll. I was hesitant to spend the $100 so I bought her a My Generation doll. My daughter never noticed the difference and was very happy....for about a month. Then the hair, oh my the hair! It was a knotted, tangled mess that I couldn't fix. It frustrated my dd too. So for her 7th bday, I took her to the American girl store in Atlanta and she picked one out. I was sooooo impressed. The hair is easily brushable, no more knotty messes.

So now My Generation doll is on closet shelf never to be played with again, unless we can give her a hair cut. It's $30 down the drain. So in my opinion, I would invest in American Girl from the beginning. :)

Oh and right now, American Girl is offering free shopping until nov 6th. The code is somewhere on the budget board. But if you do decide to go American Girl, free shipping would save you $20. :)

DD9 has 4 AG, the Williamsburg issue Madame Alexander, and a My Disney Girl. No question, get the AG. They are well worth the price difference! These dolls are about the only thing she plays with anymore, and the AGs are better all around.

I agree w/ the above posters. My DD bought a My Disney Girl Doll 3 yrs. ago. It's ok, but she's since bought 2 AG dolls (Rebecca and Lanie) and just finally used the gift card she got last Christmas for Kanani (she's on her way). The AG dolls are so much better quality. I know they are made overseas (China? I think) but I have been quite surprised by the difference.

My sister's DDs have My Twinn (they never play w/ them, too big) My Generation, and AG. They agree that the AG is much better quality as well.

For the most part, I even think the accessories and clothes are great quality for the price. My Generation clothes are awful!!!! Some of the accessory sets are ok, though. We buy AG clothes or make or own.

I was hesitant to spend the $100 so I bought her a My Generation doll. My daughter never noticed the difference and was very happy....for about a month. Then the hair, oh my the hair! It was a knotted, tangled mess that I couldn't fix. It frustrated my dd too. So for her 7th bday, I took her to the American girl store in Atlanta and she picked one out. I was sooooo impressed. The hair is easily brushable, no more knotty messes.

AG dolls are a better quality (which, in turn, causes a higher price) than "similar" dolls. The hair is their best feature. I do think the dolls are cuter, we also only have done the "historical" dolls. I like that they have a background. DD looked at a My American Girl (formerly Just Like You, now maybe something else?) but ended up buying Emily. We style their hair on occasion and it's really easy to do. DD has 2 of my old dolls (that got her started), three others (gifts and one she saved up for herself), and a Maplea doll (the Canadian equivalent of AG - Santa had to cross the border for that last year.) She also bought herself the Bitty Baby and Bitty twins with money gifts that she saved up. We are very happy with her dolls and I will save them for future generations.

ETA - while current AG dolls are still better quality than cheaper options, the quality difference between the Pleasant Co dolls and, more recent, Mattel dolls is noticeable.

Don't do it! One will lead to another and another...

My daughter hated dolls until last year when she turned 8. Now, we have 3 AG dolls and she has 5 others on her list!! She circled practically the entire catalogue for her Christmas list.

I guess on the bright side, you will always have something to choose for Christmas.

I have found AG hair a bit easier to deal with. I'm not too familiar with my generation though...it might be easy, too.:confused3 The AG hair is very conducive to hair styling. A knockoff may have "bald spots" as they may not use as much hair on the head. It will look full, but then when you begin to style... That would be something I would certainly check.

The only thing that bugs me about AG: I am not too crazy about the dangling string up by the neck. I kind of understand why they have it. And one more thing--the cloth body versus the non-cloth appendages and head. They look funny in a swim suit to me.:rotfl: My kids don't mind though.

I also like that if there ever is an issue due to lack of care or a mishap, you can send the doll back and pay to have the part repaired or replaced.

We have replaced 2 doll heads. One because Josefina's hair just got too bad from lack of care and the other was a bitty baby who lost an eyelash. Although that may have just been an eye replacement. It has been a while and I forget.

It is better of course to just take care of the doll, but it is nice to know that a beloved doll can be repaired and have parts replaced if needed.

ETA: For the hair--it is helpful to use a wire brush as suggested and to invest in the hair pick they sell. It really helps to get tangles out should they occur.

My daughter hated dolls until last year when she turned 8. Now, we have 3 AG dolls and she has 5 others on her list!! She circled practically the entire catalogue for her Christmas list.

I guess on the bright side, you will always have something to choose for Christmas.

Now this...this is true.
(says mom of girl with 9 AG dolls)

DD9's Christmas list is entirely AG--I am trying to talk her down from the entire Kanani set. She also wants her Christmas Dress this year to me one of the matching sets so she and her Just Like Me can have their picture taken together with Santa.

Last year, each of the dolls went through the catalog and made a list for Santa too--Thankfully, Felicity just wanted glasses and Elizabeth just wanted earrings. Ann (The Williamsburg doll) wanted a new dress. Lanie on the other hand wanted multiple animals! I have no idea what they (and the additional just like me and My Disney Girl) are going to ask for this year! DD9 did take a bunch of her own money and bought them each an outfit from a crafter at the fair this summer for her to give them for Christmas.

The first doll is just a starter drug--RUN!

I agree about getting the AG doll. DD only has 2 bitty babies and a set of bitty twins. She is allowed to play with my Samantha doll once in a while at my mother's house. She really wants her own "big girl" doll now, and I think my mom is getting her one. We live about 30 minutes from the KC store, so we are spoiled.:rolleyes:

We buy clothes/accessories from other stores. Even Jo Ann's and Hobby Lobby have clothes, that you can get inexpensively with coupons. At my DD's age, she could care less. She just loves having an assortment of clothing for them. But for the doll, we have bought other "big girl" dolls and I recommend AG.

I did purchase one of the matching Christmas dresses for DD/AG doll on clearance this summer, so can't wait to see her and bitty twin in it. The African-American Bitty twin looks just like my DD, hair and all. :love: DS plays with the boy sometimes. :laughing:

I also love the historical AG dolls. I think they are great conversation starters for parents. I want DD to have Cecile and Marie-Grace, because one day we will have to explain more than just "daddy is black, mama is white and you are brown." We want her to know the struggles that Americans went through so that DH and I could one day be married and have her and her little brother. I am grateful for these new dolls, so when we have that conversation, she will be able to relate to it.

I used a 40% off coupon and got younger dd a doll from Michaels when she was 4. My older dd had an American Girl doll plus some older ones from older cousin. We found the clothes AG clothes and accessories like bunk bed fit the Michaels doll fine. The hair on the Michaels doll looked fine until you stared to play with it and realized how little hair it actually had. I don't regret the purchase since my dd wasn't fully ready for the AG doll at the time. I will probably give the Michaels doll to my friend's 3 year old.

I did get both of my girls Rebecca because I thought it was the best doll for their heritage. My mother's name is Rebecca and her mother is from Russia. We are Jewish. My father's side of the family came to the US right around 1914 though from Lithuania. My dh grew up in Manhattan. While the history isn't quite the same there is a lot the girls can relate to.

AG all the way!

The quality is so much better. We stated out with my mil getting dd then 7 her first doll named Emma.
My youngest then wanted a doll and we bought a cheaper one what a big mistake the doll quality was so poor and AG had the best doll hair.
Even the clothing and such we only buy AG. We have never been disappointed ever!

We now are the proud owners of Emma, kanani,and Anna for my oldest and my youngest has bitty baby ruby, bitty twins Emma and grace and big doll ruthie.

One warning very addicting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter