• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buy a Package or book everything seperately?

DISNEYLOVER70

<font color=blue>Speaks softly but carries a big s
There are 8 of us going to Disney in May 2007. Since I am the Disney Freak, I have been designated to book all the ressies and make this happen. It is for me,DH, DD13, DS8, my sister, her husband, and her two boys, 8 and 16. My sister has been, but her husband and children have never.

My question is this: I bought The Passporter and it says that almost always it is cheaper to make your own reservations seperately than to purchase a package. What have you all experienced?

We want to stay on Disney Property, either a value or a moderate, we want the meal plan if it is still being offered, we are going to fly, (live in NY). We are staying for 5 days at disney, and two nights at Universal. I don't mind doing the extra leg work doing it all myself, I just want to get the best pricing. I do have AAA, and I also belong to a wholesale club that offers travel. I went to our local mall and went into the travel agency there. I asked the agent if I used them if I could still apply my AAA discount. She said that I should get a quote from AAA in writing and that they would match it. Okay, so why wouldn't I just book through AAA then? I digress....

So if anyone has any ideas or tips, I would Greatly appreciate it.
Oh, and ticketmania is a safe place to buy tickets?

DISNEYLOVER70 said:
My question is this: I bought The Passporter and it says that almost always it is cheaper to make your own reservations seperately than to purchase a package. What have you all experienced?
I owuld say that it used to be cheaper to book everything yourself than it was to book a package. That was because Disney offered room-only discount codes to the general public on a regular basis. Their packages also required that you purchase length-of-stay passes for your entire visit. Neither of those is true anymore. Room-only codes for the general public are pretty rare nowadays and with MYW packages, you can get tickets with as little as 1 day on them. Disney also frequently offers package deals such as the free dining addon that is currently being offered for stays beginning Aug. 13-Sept 30. For the first time since finding these boards, I've actually booked a package rather than doing it "à la carte".

We want to stay on Disney Property, either a value or a moderate, we want the meal plan if it is still being offered, we are going to fly, (live in NY).
There are only two ways to get the dining package. Both require that you be an onsite guest. The first way would be to book a package. The other way would be to rent DVC points and purchase the dinng addon that way.

We are staying for 5 days at disney, and two nights at Universal.
I really like Universal and if you stay onsite there, you get FOTL access just by showing your room key. It's like having unlimited FastPasses. Unlike Disney, the Loew's Hotels in Universal offer Entertainment Book discounts, senior discounts, Fan Club discounts and the AP holder discount. The theming of the HR and PBH pools is outstanding and all 3 resorts are very close to the parks (just a boat ride away!). I would recommend doing a "split stay" between WDW and USF.

I don't mind doing the extra leg work doing it all myself, I just want to get the best pricing. I do have AAA, and I also belong to a wholesale club that offers travel. I went to our local mall and went into the travel agency there. I asked the agent if I used them if I could still apply my AAA discount. She said that I should get a quote from AAA in writing and that they would match it. Okay, so why wouldn't I just book through AAA then? I digress....
If you're doing a package, I would suggest getting quotes from at least 3 TA's plus one from the Official WDW Website . Make sure that you're comparing the same things when you get your quotes (ie room locations, ticket types, insurance or no, etc.). AAA should be your best price. Also, make sure that you fully understand any cancellation policies before you book. Some DISers have noted that their AAA TA's have charged them for cancelling a trip even if they did it before Disney's cancellation deadline.

For 2007, there are no package or room rates available yet. I don't think DIsney will even book packages yet for 2007, but they will take your room ressie if you wish and they will happily convert it to a package later on.

Ticketmania is a very reputable ticketbroker. I've purchased and used tickets from them a number of times and i've never had a problem. Just remember that if you're booking a package, you'll be getting your tickets from Disney and won't need to get them from Ticketmania.

DISNEYLOVER70 said:
There are 8 of us going to Disney in May 2007. Since I am the Disney Freak, I have been designated to book all the ressies and make this happen. It is for me,DH, DD13, DS8, my sister, her husband, and her two boys, 8 and 16. My sister has been, but her husband and children have never.

We want to stay on Disney Property, either a value or a moderate, we want the meal plan if it is still being offered, we are going to fly, (live in NY). We are staying for 5 days at disney, and two nights at Universal. I don't mind doing the extra leg work doing it all myself, I just want to get the best pricing. I do have AAA, and I also belong to a wholesale club that offers travel. I went to our local mall and went into the travel agency there. I asked the agent if I used them if I could still apply my AAA discount. She said that I should get a quote from AAA in writing and that they would match it. Okay, so why wouldn't I just book through AAA then? I digress....

I think you can go one of two ways...Look at the dining plan and see if it makes sense for you. It does save money if you are the kind of people who eat this way (one huge meal, one small meal per day). I think you can also book the dining plan with a AAA discount (I'm thinking it would be best to go through AAA. They have a very strong reputation. With someone else, you're relying on their word.) So this might save you the most money - assuming there are rooms available with the AAA discount for the dates you want. I understand the discounted rooms do fill up quickly after the discounts are released, but I've never booked through them.

A second alternative, the one I am more familiar with, would be for one person to buy an annual pass, and the dining discount club (not the exact name). If you are booking three rooms for those eight people, and you go with a moderate resort for seven days, this is probably the better deal, and will give you more flexibility in terms of where you want to eat.

With two rooms at a value resort and only five days on property, you'll have to run the math for yourself to see which would be the better deal. There's also no guarentee that they'll offer an AP discount for the dates you want. An AP will run about $450, but a base 5day park ticket will run you over $200, and the current AP discount will save $25 per room/night at a value, and $40per room/night at a moderate. So the savings on five days at a moderate will be $200 per room. Currently AAA will save $23 off current rates per day or $116 per room for five days at a moderate. So with an AP - you'll spend an extra $229 for the AP, and you'll save $168 off the rooms alone. The AP alone will save 10% off meals at anumber of locations. If you join the Disney Dining Experience for $60, you'll save 20% off your sit down meals, and some of the Quck sevice locations. For eight people, that could easily save you more money. It would almost definitely be the better route if you plan on getting three rooms at a moderate. It would also save you more if you decided to spend seven nights on Disney property.

I can also tell you that the two days at Universal will cost a fair amount - you'll need transportation for eight people, with enough room for luggage. It would proably be a tight fit to get everyone in one minivan. A minivan will run you about $300 for a week long rental- give or take, plus taxes, fees, gas, and tolls. The tickets at Universal will run about $100 per adult, I think....so at least $1000 extra.

If you spend those two days at WDW, you can use M Express transportation (right now it's free, but that could change. I could be wonrg, but I doubt they'll raise the price too high before May 2007. It is very much in their best interest to offer ME for free), and two days of tickets are $7 dollars a person when you are already buying five day tickets. Honestly, there is plenty at WDW to keep everyone busy for seven days, and that's just with regular park hopper tickets (you won't need to get the water park option or the DQ - but those are further options). I've been to Universal, and I'm not saying they don't have good rides there, but if you're talking budget - it's something you should really consider. I'm also not factoring the cost to stay on property at Universal. It's over $200 a night, but for Universal you can stay off property for a lot less.

Wow, I have a lot of info to absorb!! I think we have to bite the bullet on the USF because all 4 of the kids really want to go there as much as Disney. But it sounds like AAA is the best deal going. I have used them before and planned to do so this time, until I saw the info about booking ala carte. I will definately compare apples to apples and see what I can find. Thanks so much you guys for the info, I really appreciate it. I am so excited!!!!!!! I can't beleive I have to wait another YEAR to leave!!!! What a drag, but at least I can have fun planning for that year :)

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter