Butternut Squash Soup from AKL

MushyMushy

Marseeya Here!
Do any of you know if the butternut squash soup from the Mara is the same as the one from Boma? I've never actually had it from Boma, so I'm not sure. I found a recipe for it on allearsnet, but it the ingredients don't sound at all like what it tasted like from Mara!

I'd love to make this soup sometime. It was so yummy. :goodvibes

When I had the Butternut Squash Soup at Mara, the cook told me it is the same soup that is served at Boma.

If you would like the recipe:

Peggy.Gentry@disney.com

Peggy will email you the recipe in a day or two.

MushyMushy said:
Do any of you know if the butternut squash soup from the Mara is the same as the one from Boma? I've never actually had it from Boma, so I'm not sure. I found a recipe for it on allearsnet, but it the ingredients don't sound at all like what it tasted like from Mara!

I'd love to make this soup sometime. It was so yummy. :goodvibes

Was it sweet or savory?? If it was sweet- you are right, the ALLEARS recipe isn't the right one. I found it a while ago....

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Boma – Flavors of AfricaDisney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients

3 ounces Unsalted Butter
11 ounces Butternut Squash, cut in chunks
To taste Salt and Pepper
8 ounces Water
8 ounces Heavy Cream
8 ounces Milk
1 ounce Sugar, adjust if needed
1 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
Water
3 ounces American Cheese

Method of Preparation

1. In a small pot, melt the butter and pour over the squash. Season squash with salt and pepper and roast in 325o oven for 45 minutes.
2. In a kettle, mix squash with water. Add heavy cream and milk and puree. Add sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and coriander.
3. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and add to the soup.
4. Add the American cheese and continue mixing until smooth.
5. Adjust seasoning.

LizinSTL said:
Was it sweet or savory?? If it was sweet- you are right, the ALLEARS recipe isn't the right one. I found it a while ago....

Ah, thank you! :wizard:

I knew the one on allears didn't sound like what I had because it was a sweet soup! I thought there had to be nutmeg in it too. ETA: where did you get that recipe?

I'm also wanting to try to make some of the other soups listed there, but that's the one I'm most hungry for. I had that several times during our stay last June. :blush:

Oh, yes-the Butternut Squash soup-I LOVE it! Yes, it's the same at Mara's as at Boma's (only less expensive!). I specifically asked and taste tasted at both places within a couple hours of each other last month (did I mention how much I LOVE that soup?) First I had a bowl at Mara's for a late lunch. Then a couple hours later, I did the culinary tour of Jiko's and Boma's. I asked at Boma's if it was the same soup as at Mara's. I think our guide said that the chef makes a big batch and sends some down to Mara's. He also let me sample another bowl of it so that I could test this. Then, to be REAL sure, I went back down to Mara's for supper and had another bowl (yes, that was my third bowl of Butternut Squash soup). It tasted the same as Boma's, although I give a slight preference to Mara's. I don't know if it was because it was sitting for a little while, or just the knowledge that it cost less!

MushyMushy said:
Ah, thank you! :wizard:

I knew the one on allears didn't sound like what I had because it was a sweet soup! I thought there had to be nutmeg in it too. ETA: where did you get that recipe?

I'm also wanting to try to make some of the other soups listed there, but that's the one I'm most hungry for. I had that several times during our stay last June. :blush:

I found it here on the disboards. I searched for it after I tried the allears recipe and it was AWFUL. FWIW, I glanced at the ingredients at Trader Joe's on their prepared Butternut Squash soup and it seems similar. I haven't bought it yet b/c I can make a whole pot for the price :) But if I get a taste for it and don't feel like cooking, I'll grab it there and give it a try.

On my next attempt, I'm going to "steam" the squash rather than roast it in butter and then add melted butter to the soup to see if that makes a difference in the texture. The flavor is exactly right but the texture is too gritty.

And if you want that great taste after you get home, but aren't one to do recipes (unless they involve "open can"), forget the Cambell's Select (or whatever it's called) in a box. It tastes NOTHING like Mara's/Boma's. I wish I knew what did!

Simba's Mom said:
And if you want that great taste after you get home, but aren't one to do recipes (unless they involve "open can"), forget the Cambell's Select (or whatever it's called) in a box. It tastes NOTHING like Mara's/Boma's. I wish I knew what did!

Glance at the ingredients. If it contains "onion" or "garlic" skip it, it's savory. None of the canned or "boxed" soups are sweet. Both of my local supermarkets have butternut squash soup in the deli- they are savory. But Trader Joe's has a sweet soup. Worth a shot- I think it's $4 for a pint of soup.

Sounds delicious. I don't see it listed on the Boma menu on Allears though.

Tracy

I don't remember where I got these recipes, from someone on these boards I think. The recipe listed above is the fall version of Boma's Butternut Squash. I also received this one at the same time, I will post it if anyone is interested:

Butternut Squash Soup
Boma, Animal Kingdom Lodge

2 T. butter
1 garlic clove
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp. coriander, ground
1 lb. Butternut squash, cut in chunks
2 tsp. Curry Paste, red
2 c. Vegetable stock
2 c. milk
4 T. sour cream
2 fresh lemons, juiced
to taste black pepper and salt
to taste cilantro springs

1. In a large pot, heat the butter. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft. 2. Add all the spices, lemon juice, and curry paste. 3. Add squash and cover with the stock. 4. Simmer until squash is cooked. 5. Puree the soup until smooth and add the salt and pepper to taste. 6. Return to the heat and add the milk and sour cream. Do not boil. 7. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.
Yeild: 10 servings

I also made that soup from the AllEars collection, and it wasn't what I was looking for. The soup that my DSs loved at Boma tasted just like pumpkin pie! Is that what you guys are talking about? :goodvibes

Ever since I had my first bowlful of Butternut Squash soup at Boma's I have been in love. :love: I am not even a soup type person.

I saw it on the menu at Tony's but it was gone when we were there however I had it at Wolfgang Puck's. I am not gourmet enough to know if it was the same as at Boma's and besides with a year's time in between it would take someone with a whole bunch more intelligence than I to tell the difference. :lmao:

Anyway I came home jonesing for BNSS (new initials for the board) and since WGP's staff gave me the recipe, it is on the back of the table card when you are seated, I went out and bought the ingredients. I was willing to shell out the big bucks for all the stuff but am having a hard time getting started in actually cooking it.

Long story short (I know - too late) would ya believe I found WGP BNSS soup on Amazon?? It was about $2.50 a can. I might check the gourmet section of a couple of stores first to make sure it tastes similar before I invest in a case but if it do I am a gonna go for it!!! It will get me through the months until our next trip.

Wonder if Amazon.com has Dole Whips??

Slightly Goofy

Martha7 said:
I also made that soup from the AllEars collection, and it wasn't what I was looking for. The soup that my DSs loved at Boma tasted just like pumpkin pie! Is that what you guys are talking about? :goodvibes
Yup, Boma or Mara, it's the same thing-tasted like pumpkin pie. They must put a bunch of ginger in it or something.

Okay, Slightlygoofy, the question of the day:

Is WGP BNSS sweet or savory??? (oh please say it's sweet, please say it's sweet, pleeeeeease :bitelip: )

Simba's Mom said:
Yup, that's the truth! I bought that Campbell's Select stuff after having the BOMA butternut squash soup....I had to toss the Campbell's. It was GROSS. :crazy2: Thanks to the person who posted the BOMA recipe...I printed it out and will try to make it sometime this winter. That soup is FABULOUS!!

The Campbell's Select is lumpy too. Ugh!!

I will report back if I can find a can of the WGP soup and let you know how it stacks up. I am sure it cannot be as good but anything to get me through until our next trip.

I gotta go chop up some butternut squash so I can make the recipe. (not kidding)

Send a SASE and I will mail you some. :rotfl2:

Slightly Goofy

Boma's Butternut Squash Soup....mmmmmm....love it. Dream about it...pine for it....

And I agree; it did taste on the sweetish side. Did anyone else think there was a hint of coconut flavor to it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter