"But they won't remember it..."

I agree! we took my daughter when she was 4 ( she's 16 now) and no - she doesn't remember it but her dad & I do & we all had a great time and wonderful memories. Fast forward 10 years - we went back when she was 14 and she was in the middle of her "miserable" years. ... She was so cranky and miserable to be around that ( despite all the money we spent on the trip) I've scratched that trip from my memory and now when I remember Disney as a family trip I choose to only remember the trip when she was 4... lesson learned - I'd rather take a smiling toddler who will forget it than a hormonal, crabby, grouchy teen!!

Thats what scrapbooking is for, To bring back the memories of yesterday.

I've scrapbooked every trip we ever taken. When we travel with friends I always do a book and give it as a gift later. My children and grandchildren all have books of every vacation we've done together.

what if Mom ends up with multiple sclerosis, or Dad develops rheumatoid arthritis [to name only two things that could happen] and you aren't able to go when the kids are 12 & 14??

If you always wait to make memories, you may miss your chance to make them. :(

We last took our daughter in septmeber 2009 when she was 3. The trip before was December 2008 she was 2 almost 3. She rembered from the previous trip that tinkerbell brought her a small gift at night if she behaved during the day. she also remebered she saw mickey, minnie, donald, goofy and pluto at chef mickey's but did not meet to meet daisy. So in 2009 she was really excited to see daisy at tusker house.

I dont know how much she remebers and how much is us telling her about it. When we look through the pictures though she will come up with somethings that i did not even remember. For example we are looking through the pics and we met Baloo and king Louie in Animal kingdom and She says "daddy remember the monkey couldn't sign my book, Why he didn't sign?"

When we ask her what she wants to do for her birthday she says she wants to go to disney world and see princess's.
When we saw Mickeys magic show live and she sees mickey she asks who is cooking at chef mickeys?
If we take a train she says its not like the high train to see mickey.

Again i dont know how much she remebers but she knows she wants to go, she knows she has fun there, she knows who she wants to see and she knows she has been there before. I dont know how much she will remember as she gets older but we plan on returning to continue building her memories.

I agree with many of the sentiments posted here.
People thought we are crazy for BOTH of our trips.
We took DD last year at 2.5(11/09). She remembers a lot! Every once in a while she will ask something that shows she remembers... just last night she asked if "Fawn was always with Tink at her house or if the other fairies come too?" Obviously we just saw Tink and Fawn. We have never discussed that other fairies are sometimes with tink.
We are going now for her fourth birthday with DS 10 months. We were planning on waiting and it will be difficult with a baby - but as many have mentioned family time is priceless.
We made plans to book this trip after DS was released from the hospital after spending his 4th and 5th week of life there. He is completely fine -(he just got an infection and newborns must be hospitalized to ensure the medication is properly administered but it did make for several scary days- sorry TMI)- but as people have mentioned - its at those times that you truly realize how special family time is!
At Disney the cell phone, emails, faxes all stopped - it is about our family and our memories.
I hope each family makes the right decision for them about when the "right time" to go is.

My dad had a heart attack and quadruple bypass when my dd was three. He decided that when he was better, he was taking my dd to Disney. I argued that it was going to be too much for him and she wasn't going to remember it. My parents took me to DL when I was 1, 2 and 6 and I barely remember the trip when I was 6.

My mother stopped me mid argument and explained something to me. She told me how she had never forgotten the pure joy and wonder on my face as I went on IASW the first time. My dad explained that for him, it was how excited I got watching the Electric Light Parade. I just shut up and let them plan the trip.

Dad spent the next few months recovering and working out to build up his strength and endurance for the trip. Grandpa took his little princess to the World and had a fabulous time. I REALLY understood what my mom and dad were talking about the first night at the MK. I saw that look of wonder and joy on my own daughter's face.

Let's face it, we take our little ones to the World for us!

Tell the naysayers to Mind their own.........

Our first family trip to disney was 2 yrs ago, when DS was almost 3. He remembers some of it. It was our most magical trip for sure. I will always remember it! I was hesitant to bring him at such a young age and tons of people told me I was crazy but I am so glad we went...it was my best vacation ever.

My dad had a heart attack and quadruple bypass when my dd was three. He decided that when he was better, he was taking my dd to Disney. I argued that it was going to be too much for him and she wasn't going to remember it. My parents took my to DL when I was 1, 2 and 6 and I barely remember the trip when I was 6.

My mother stopped me mid argument and explained something to me. She told me how she had never forgotten the pure joy and wonder on my face as I went on IASW the first time. My dad explained that for him, it was how excited I got watching the Electric Light Parade. I just shut up and let them plan the trip.

Dad spent the next few months recovering and working out to build up his strength and endurance for the trip. Grandpa took his little princess to the World and had a fabulous time. I REALLY understood what my mom and dad were talking about the first night at the MK. I saw that look of wonder and joy on my own daughter's face.

Let's face it, we take our little ones to the World for us!

Tell the naysayers to Mind their own.........

I agree with you. And I remember things from when I was 1 years old. Stuff that adults said and did around me that I could only know from being there. You never know what your children will remember. Besides, most of us don't remember drinking from a bottle or getting our diapers changed, but out parents did it, and boy are we grateful. :rotfl:

If you want to take your kids to Disney, go! Your kids won't remember this specific vacation, but rest assured the memory of family fun will run deep. And you will have precious memories, and photos to share the memories later.

DD, age 22, does not have any actual memories of her first Disney trip at age 4 -- she admits her "memory" of that trip is only that she knows she was here & there because there are pictures of her here & there...does not actually remember anything that is not in the photo. BUT, she has it firmly planted in her psyche that her family went on really fun vacations "every year" (which is funny, because we didn't actually do that-didn't have enough money to take 4 kids on vacay all the time...but her feelings that we always went fun places are so set in her head that we get credit for more vacations than we actually took, lol.)

I've never believed in the "They won't remember it" mentality about anything. I clearly remember alot of my very early childhood. I have a very good memory, and so my kids. My DS(7) remembers things we used to do in our hometown, before we moved when he was 2 1/2. DS(4) remembers very specific things about our trip to WDW last Jan. when he was 3. He remembers the rides, and which family member he rode with (we had 10 people in our group). He remembers what he ordered at Sci-Fi and the words to the songs they played there. He even remembers that our rental minivan was gray. I think most people would be surprised what kids (at least my kids) remember. I would rather live life thinking that they WILL remember, rather than assuming that they won't remember.

I've never believed in the "They won't remember it" mentality about anything. I clearly remember alot of my very early childhood. I have a very good memory, and so my kids. My DS(7) remembers things we used to do in our hometown, before we moved when he was 2 1/2. DS(4) remembers very specific things about our trip to WDW last Jan. when he was 3. He remembers the rides, and which family member he rode with (we had 10 people in our group). He remembers what he ordered at Sci-Fi and the words to the songs they played there. He even remembers that our rental minivan was gray. I think most people would be surprised what kids (at least my kids) remember. I would rather live life thinking that they WILL remember, rather than assuming that they won't remember.

Good point. I love it. Live life as if we will remember. U rock!

:woohoo:

Merry Christmas!
images

My stock answer is: we take her to Disney for the same reason we had a first birthday party and gave her presents at her first Christmas and take her to the zoo every summer - because she has fun in the moment and we have memories that will last a lifetime.

"But they won't remember it..."

Just heard that today. I booked a trip for March 2 days ago. One of the guys I work with has a boy(6) and is asking about the World. Another coworker has a boy(1.5). I told him he should take his family soon. Then out came the classic line.....I told him at this age it's not what your boy remembers, it's what you do about him! My all time greatest Disney memory is of DS(3) at 14 months(before his tubes/tonsils/adenoids surgeries). We were at DHS at the meet and greet for Sorcerer Mickey. The look on my boys' face and how he chased and hugged and kissed Mickey and just how amazed/excited he was the most amazing thing we've ever seen!(Before his surgeries he made few sounds and had minimal communication skills)

We took our son to his first Disney trip when he just turned 2 and I did get one person say isn't that too young and selfish of you...I said its a nice vacation for our family and I had many great memories from that trip. My son loved it so much that he asked again to go back and the next trip he told us the places he wants to go....he remembers his first tirp (not in great details but recalls a few things.) We just returned to his 5 trip and he is the one that helped me plan the dinning and he took the map each day and he directed us which rides and which places we need to go.
We took him to his first carribean trip at age 1.

Artic Disney Lover you are awesome! Your parenting skills rock!
I agree with you. I is so great that you communicate so well with your child. I have seen really timid children who are scared of everything blossom at WDW/DL. It only takes that one little moment where the magic is sparkling and the child opens up. My nephew was 3 and having a really tough year. He moved twice. Had 3 different preschools and he parents got divorced. Then he moved again to another state. He became sullen and withdrawn. We took him to WDW to try to give him something good in his little world. We took him around and he didn't seem to want anything. We sat 5 minutes at AK Colors of the Wind show on the 4th day. He was sitting on the bench with the rest of the kids then before I knew it he was back in my lap wanting to leave. He just sucked his thumb and didn't respond to playing. Then it happened. He saw Stitch. I had no idea he even liked Stitch. We had taken him to Chef Mickeys, CP, 1900 Park Fare, CRT and he did not want to talk to any characters. He was holding my hand when he broke free and started running through the crowd. I ran after him. He ran straight to Stitch who held his arms out and stood for at 2-3 minutes just hugging my nephew. There was a 20 person plus line for Stitch but everyone in line just clapped and smiled. The CM photographer took some great photos without being asked. The group in line have no idea how there willingness to let this happen and not complain and make my nephew get inline changed his life more than we can ever know. He played with Stitch for over 10 minutes. Lilo was there and my Nephew told her no thank for hugs. Literally he said,"No thank you." He hugged and hugged Stitch. The way Stitch reacted I will never know how the CM inside saw my nephew coming but he was soooo ready with his hugs. I never really told anyone else this story because the rest of our group went on without us and we had to find them later. But when I look at tevhose pictures and then remember how afterwards my nephew asked to go to MK to go on BTR and Peter Pan again I cried. He also started eating again. And my nephew said,"No matter what, Stitch will always love me because Ohana means family." Tell me that doesnt just break your heart just a little?:grouphug:

This is the best story ever!! I had tears in my eyes. How wonderful for him and what an awesome Stitch. I often wonder if the character CMs know how awesome they make kids' vacations. After reading this story, I think they do. :lovestruc

Ok - I know many of you bring toddlers to WDW. Did you get a lot of people giving you the buzzkill line of "Why? They won't remember it?".

I was just told that yesterday - of course by someone who has never been. I responded that *We* will remember it, and that they will really enjoy themselves, and we will enjoy watching them enjoy themselves.

Since when is WDW just about the kids anyway -- I'm sure some of you can relate that WE adults enjoy it ourselves, right??

Backstory -- last Dec our WDW trip included DH, me (pregnant), DS5, DS3, and DD1, and my parents. After the trip we all decided that DD1 had the most fun! While she did slow us down, we loved seeing her experience everything. This year, since we wanted to focus on doing rides all day, I just took my DSs, now 6 and 4, and my mom for a 4 day trip. Fantastic time and there is no way we could have accomplished as much with a toddler and or baby along (or my Dad & DH :laughing:). But I can't forget how much my DD enjoyed last year. So now I want to take just the girls for short, but slow paced trip with both of my parents.

When I've told people this, a couple have already started in with the "What? Why? They won't remember it! That's nuts!", etc. So I'm turing to you, the DIS, my fellow WDW addicts to vent. Surely there are some of you that can agree that even though a toddler may not remember the trip when they grow up, it's still worth doing? My parents are not going to be around forever, and giving them the joy of seeing their grandchildren enjoy Disney, to me, makes it worth it. It's not just about the kids memories.

I'm sorry...I guess I'm in that camp. It's not that I don't thin you shouldn't bring kids to WDW until they're 4 or 5; it's that *I* can't do it. It's way too much work for the price. Personally, I prefer to take them when they're just a bit older so that they not only enjoy it and remember it, but that they can experience most of it.

But, that doesn't mean I don't think YOU should take your little tiny kids; it's just that *I* couldn't do it. ;)

We've never concerned ourselves with how old the kids are when we've been to WDW, and fortunately we've never gotten the "but they won't remember it!" line from anyone. We knew we'd be back regularly, though, so we've never had to think in terms of the best timing for the once-in-a-lifetime trip.

In fact, I've found that it's extra fun when a child doesn't remember much. We went to WDW when DS was 3.5, then almost exactly a year later. As I was planning for the second trip, I'd ask DS if he remembered riding on X, or meeting character Y, and he almost inevitably didn't. Which cracked me up, actually, and then it was almost like having another "first trip" for DS (even though it was actually his third :rotfl:).

you know we started going when my son and sisters daughter were young
my brother didnt bring his kids till they were a bit bigger

well my son and sisters daughter love disney more then the other 2
heck they recall things that happend on trips when the were 2 or 3 better then us adults do

We just took our 22 month old last month and it was wonderful. I know he remembers some of it because when we go to the Disney store at the mall he says choo choo which is what he calls all the rides at Disney. The first time we watched our videos we took he would say what was going to happen next on the ride (living with the land he said rain, hot, farm, tractor and bananas) and he said it before the boat got to that part so I know he remembers. Even if he didn't, who cares?! We all had an amazing time and being happy and being together is all that Disney is about.

We went to WDW over a year ago with a 3 year old and a 4 year old. They STILL talk about their favorite rides and experiences. IMO we took them at the PERFECT ages because everything was real. Now that my older DD is almost 6, she is questioning whether she met the real Cinderella or if it was someone in a costume. But at 4 years old everything was 100% real.

As others have said, I loved watching Disney through HER eyes. That's priceless. My DH went to WDW unwillingly but through our kids he experienced magic. We're going again and bringing our baby (she'll be 7.5 months). No, she won't remember it, but we'll have pictures of her with us, spending a wonderful vacation at Disney. What we'll be doing is making memories together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter