But if EVERYONE gets to RD, then....?

grossmansr

Mouseketeer
So what I'm hearing from these boards is that the best (only?) way to maximize ride time at the parks is to hit rope drop in the morning. Here's my concern. If it's really such a time saver then don't most people do this? And if everyone decides that it's a good idea, then don't the parks fill up pretty quickly?

I guess what I want to know, from people who are RD regulars, is how many rides can you typically get on before the lines start to get long? Is it just one or two, or can I expect to ride a few? Specifically, I'm planning to hit RD at the Magic Kingdom and taking my DD (2.5) straight to Fantasyland. It would be great to ride Peter Pan and Pooh and Dumbo and even meet a Princess with little to no waiting. Is this really possible? Or is RD too good to be true? :scratchin

It will not happen. Tour guides have been saying for as long as I can remember... get there before the park opens. It doesn't happen for everyone. It happens for some.

Depends on the time of year I guess. We've gone during pretty busy times and if we make rope drop at say magic kingdom at 9am, we can get 4-5 rides in before it gets busy around 11.

So what I'm hearing from these boards is that the best (only?) way to maximize ride time at the parks is to hit rope drop in the morning. Here's my concern. If it's really such a time saver then don't most people do this? And if everyone decides that it's a good idea, then don't the parks fill up pretty quickly?

I guess what I want to know, from people who are RD regulars, is how many rides can you typically get on before the lines start to get long? Is it just one or two, or can I expect to ride a few? Specifically, I'm planning to hit RD at the Magic Kingdom and taking my DD (2.5) straight to Fantasyland. It would be great to ride Peter Pan and Pooh and Dumbo and even meet a Princess with little to no waiting. Is this really possible? Or is RD too good to be true? :scratchin

It will not happen. Tour guides have been saying for as long as I can remember... get there before the park opens. It doesn't happen for everyone. It happens for some.

I think there is more potential for people to RD, and people do seem to be catching on of late, somewhat. People are reporting earlier and longer lines then "usual"

I think the more important aspect will be the availability of afternoon FP+ ... because I am guessing this WILL be very common ... the people who RD will want afternoon FPs, and the people who sleep in will want afternoon FPs ....

This really depends on whether off site guests get pre-book ...

So what I'm hearing from these boards is that the best (only?) way to maximize ride time at the parks is to hit rope drop in the morning. Here's my concern. If it's really such a time saver then don't most people do this? And if everyone decides that it's a good idea, then don't the parks fill up pretty quickly? I guess what I want to know, from people who are RD regulars, is how many rides can you typically get on before the lines start to get long? Is it just one or two, or can I expect to ride a few? Specifically, I'm planning to hit RD at the Magic Kingdom and taking my DD (2.5) straight to Fantasyland. It would be great to ride Peter Pan and Pooh and Dumbo and even meet a Princess with little to no waiting. Is this really possible? Or is RD too good to be true? :scratchin

Agreed with the PP. The general advice is to get there at RD to maximize your amount of time in the parks with the least amount of crowds, but for some vacationers, getting up early in the AM each day doesn't sound like a fun vacation. I'm a "RD every day" kind of gal bc it gives me several hours in the park to accomplish my "must dos" so I don't feel the need to stay in the park all day if I don't want to, or stand in long queues to get my must dos accomplished.

I think it also depends on when you're going, and how long you are staying. I went this past September, so I knew to expect lower crowds, but still got up and out the door every day for RD during the first 7 days of my trip. Since I was staying a while, the last 7 days of my trip were more relaxing, sleeping in if I wanted, etc. When are you going?

There was a really interesting post on easywdw about utilizing FP+ at the MK. Josh got there at RD, during one of the busier weekends of the year, and rode all of his must dos in two-three hours.

Agree. Rope drop has always been advised by all Disney gurus. People just don't do it. Some of us do and we truly enjoy the benefits. Most people just will not, no matter how many times they hear rd is awesome. :) People do not want to wake up early on vacation.

But then, some people who have done rope drop in the past may decide to sacrifice a ride or two and take advantage of their later FP+ reservations to arrive later. When the dust settles, I expect the crowds at opening to be pretty much like they always have been. Between guests who are oblivious to the advantages of arriving early, and guests who can't or won't get themselves going that early, I don't think things will change that much.

Maybe someone should create a poll of the Disers asking if FP+ will change their rope drop strategy. The choices could be:

1. No, we have always been RDers and still will be.
2. No, we have never been RDers and still won't be.
3. Yes, we have always been RDers, but with FP+ we will come later (at least some days).
4. Yes, we have never been RDers, but with FP+ we are going to start to get the most rides in.

There was a really interesting post on easywdw about utilizing FP+ at the MK. Josh got there at RD, during one of the busier weekends of the year, and rode all of his must dos in two-three hours.

People who have never tried it might be amazed at how much you can do on the very busiest days of the year if you are willing to get to the park early. On Saturday, December 28, my daughter and I arrived in time for a 7 AM EMH at MK and did Space Mountain, Buzz, Under the Sea, both Rapunzel and Snow White greetings, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, (stopped for a muffin break in Frontierland), Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Pirates, and Jungle Cruise all before 10 AM and with no FP- (which were still available at the time). That gave us time for IASW before our lunch reservation at BOG. We had a couple of 10 minute waits, but on Pirates at about 9 AM we walked right on and our boat wasn't full.

Doing this allowed us to leave the park after the Christmas parade, take a break at the resort, and use our FP+ at Epcot in the late afternoon and early evening.

Agree. Rope drop has always been advised by all Disney gurus. People just don't do it. Some of us do and we truly enjoy the benefits. Most people just will not, no matter how many times they hear rd is awesome. :) People do not want to wake up early on vacation.

Arriving at park opening has been recommended by travel guides for every theme/amusement park in the world for many, many years. I don't think that has changed the numbers of people who do so significantly. It would be an overestimation of the influence travel guides and message boards/blogs have on the average guest...at least when it comes to this suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. We're going the end of March and crowd calendars say it's supposed to be busy. I'm definitely planning to do RD, I just hope it really works as well as I'm hearing about. I can't imagine anyone wanting to sleep in at Disney World, but then again, not everyone has a toddler that wakes up at the crack of dawn.

(just found a smiley that looks like my DD every morning) :Pinkbounc

Maybe someone should create a poll of the Disers asking if FP+ will change their rope drop strategy. The choices could be:

3. Yes, we have always been RDers, but with FP+ we will come later (at least some days).
4. Yes, we have never been RDers, but with FP+ we are going to start to get the most rides in.

I like it. Good idea

But then, some people who have done rope drop in the past may decide to sacrifice a ride or two and take advantage of their later FP+ reservations to arrive later. When the dust settles, I expect the crowds at opening to be pretty much like they always have been. Between guests who are oblivious to the advantages of arriving early, and guests who can't or won't get themselves going that early, I don't think things will change that much.

Great suggestion, looks like the poll is up :)

Not to sound really naive or anything, but, do they actually like "drop a rope"? Are you really waiting behind a rope and then when it is time to go in they drop it? Sorry if I'm like being ridiculous? :rotfl2:

As others have said, most folks don't want to get up early on vacation, so there's not much to worry about. I'm by no means a "morning person" in my everyday life, but it's sooooo worth it to me to get up early at WDW! I figure I can always take a nap in the afternoon if need be.

I think that rope drop is still very useful at MK due to the large number of rides. People scatter and you can get quite a bit done in the first few hours.

Not to sound really naive or anything, but, do they actually like "drop a rope"? Are you really waiting behind a rope and then when it is time to go in they drop it? Sorry if I'm like being ridiculous? :rotfl2:

not a silly question at all. and yes, there used to be a rope. and then drop it. then after there was too much "running" 2 Cms would walk slowly with the rope, with everyone walking after them.. slowly.

then, they stopped that, and after the rope droped, no one was allowed to be in front of the Cms.

now I beleive they actually start letting people in ahead of time. so they kind of slowly seep in. but at MK, Ithink they still have the "rope drop" on the mornings they have the opening show.

maybe I'm wrong, if so, someone will correct me, I'm sure.:rolleyes:

ya know, I still don't know when they have the mornign show. do they still have it on the mornings of early entry? (oops sorry, they don't call it that anymore... "morning extra magic hour" )

In October my DD had a BBB appointment before open, so we were standing back between the castle and the merry-go-round, and there was an actual rope, a thick red one. They didn't drop it, though, it was more of a pull to the side. :) And they took it down and said we still had to wait, but my 2-year-old took off running! I had to chase him down and ended up slipping and falling on the wet ground, not to mention getting scolded by the CM - lol. What a memory.

Thanks for the feedback. We're going the end of March and crowd calendars say it's supposed to be busy. I'm definitely planning to do RD, I just hope it really works as well as I'm hearing about. I can't imagine anyone wanting to sleep in at Disney World, but then again, not everyone has a toddler that wakes up at the crack of dawn.

(just found a smiley that looks like my DD every morning) :Pinkbounc

As first-timers we were pleasantly surprised by what we got done by getting to RD. We went right to Fantasyland and rode Pooh, Teacups, Dumbo, and Barnstormer (a couple times on Barnstormer) with no wait. It was awesome. I'm sure the princesses had no wait, too. Probably Peter Pan too but it was under refurb at the time.

Although it sounds great in theory, my non-early bird family has never made it to a park before 10 or 11am. We are going to try hard to get to Epcot at RD to get in the crazy Anna/Elsa line next week for my daughter, but beyond that, we like to stay out late and sleep a bit in the mornings. Once we really get going in the afternoon/evening, our adrenaline kicks in and there's no way we'll be waking up at 6am in WDW. :rotfl2:

If it's really such a time saver then don't most people do this? And if everyone decides that it's a good idea, then don't the parks fill up pretty quickly?
Also, not everyone who goes to WDW is from or accustomed to Eastern time zone. Californians are 3 hours behind. Hawaiians are 5-6 hours behind. 8am RD might not be a big deal for someone from FL or NY, but to a Californian, that's 5am.

Also, not everyone who goes to WDW is from or accustomed to Eastern time zone. Californians are 3 hours behind. Hawaiians are 5-6 hours behind. 8am RD might not be a big deal for someone from FL or NY, but to a Californian, that's 5am.

And if you've flown in from Europe where we are 5 hours + ahead it's like the middle of the afternoon :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter