But I Don't Like Peas and Mushrooms! An Aug. '16 Dining Report *updated 10/13 Wrap It Up!*

Oh my goodness, I want to add that Trails End Brunch. But I want to add Skippers too! I'm hopeless! I want to add everything! I might pop!

White sangria? Is that a thing?

Awesome reviews, thank you!
white sangria is DEFINITELY a thing. I made it for some recent holiday - white peach raspberry sangria. yum. You can make sangria with anything you want... wine, some kind of fortifying booze (rum or brandy or liqueur), usually some juice, usually some fizzy component (soda or champagne). I love sangria!

white sangria is DEFINITELY a thing. I made it for some recent holiday - white peach raspberry sangria. yum. You can make sangria with anything you want... wine, some kind of fortifying booze (rum or brandy or liqueur), usually some juice, usually some fizzy component (soda or champagne). I love sangria!
Yes, I have had it in Spain, red wine, brandy, orange juice and soda. The sang bit means blood, so, I assumed it had to be red.

Yum on the sangria(s) and the Grey Goose slushie! I am definitely planning to imbibe a bit more next June with the hubs around. My parents just aren't big drinkers so I didn't drink much, except maybe dinners, this past June.

Envious of your meet up. We need to do some overlapping so we can have a meet up! Unfortunately we just go at different times of the year...boo hoo! ;)

May have to check out Nomad Lounge next June. I'll see if I can work it in... :)
You know, on our first couple trips after we had the boys I didn't drink that much either (and on one of those trips I really should have because my MIL was with us and she was COMPLETELY ridiculous). But once I started trying more of the specialty drinks they have to offer, the easier it was to keep on doing it lol!
I know, I would absolutely love to go when you guys do :goodvibes Unfortunately my kids are still in school in early June when you go. We'd probably have a better chance of meeting up when I visit my sister in Ga. sometime - maybe a Zaxby's meet-up :rotfl2: I know, but I'm going to get in a Zaxby's reference whenever I can!
Not really very interested in trying Skippers but it's good to know there is at least a thing or two I would eat. I guess I need to do more research bc I had no idea what Falafel was, but it sounds like something I would like after you described it.

Ready to hear about the next meal...yum....
I didn't think I'd like falafel before I tried it for the first time either - I despise chick peas :crazy2: But really anything with a fried or fried-ish shell, I'm open to!
Hoping to get my next update done this weekend :thumbsup2

I don't understand people who order standard salads at restaurants. This is outside my realm of comprehension. No wonder he didn't much care for the place!
Your apps on the other hand look oh so delicious!!!
I KNOW :confused3 I mean, nothing wrong with a salad and I get that he wanted to eat lighter since he knew he'd eat alot at dinner that night (which we both did!) But they had at least one more interesting salad on the menu, and even some of the apps weren't heavy........whatevs. Sometimes ya just gotta let them do what they're gonna do........

I've actually worked some time into the schedule on one of our DHS days specifically to get that carrot cake cookie a Sweet Spells :laughing: I can't wait!

And those arepas and mango drink are both on my "must-order" list ::yes::. So excited for Skipper Canteen!
Now that's my kind of girl!! LOL it'll be time well scheduled, believe me you will not be disappointed :cloud9: You'l have to be sure and let me know how much you LOVE it!
Hope you enjoy Skippers too! I want it to succeed and get busier ::yes::

Oh my goodness, I want to add that Trails End Brunch. But I want to add Skippers too! I'm hopeless! I want to add everything! I might pop!

White sangria? Is that a thing?

Awesome reviews, thank you!
I'm glad you're still enjoying my reviews :) I have an idea; instead of just trying to figure out which restaurants to add and then not being able to add them all, why don't you just extend your trip :banana: Easy, right??
And as @Lisa F explained, YES white sangria is most definitely a thing and it's a thing I adore!

Mmmmm, that sounds good! A couple of my friends and I took turns making sangria all summer. Then we rotated going to each others' houses all summer and while the kids were hanging out, well, you get the idea ;)

Yes, I have had it in Spain, red wine, brandy, orange juice and soda. The sang bit means blood, so, I assumed it had to be red.
White sangria is actually what I first started drinking and I didn't like red sangria. I've quickly come around though and will now happily drink any color sangria placed in front of me :drinking1

Last edited:

Yes! It will be our first hard ticket party ever. We have tickets to the one on 12/18. I am over the moon to finally see WDW outside of spring or summer!!
I'm so excited for you! We've done the Christmas party twice and MNSSHP 4x and then of course Club Villain in January. I guess you could say we're fans of the hard ticket events lol. I would do MNSSHP every year if I could and seeing it snow on Main St. during MVMCP is just.......:cloud9: I'm SO going to look forward to your review!

Oh dear lord, I finally get here and you are on page 5 already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been a bad, bad DISer lately. But glad to see you named your trip report after my love of mushrooms :P Also side note very surreal as I'm reading this and texting you at the same time. DIS and real worlds collide :-)
If there was a dedication page to dining reports it would have read something like, " I dedicate this to Kari, for our shared love of adult beverages and mushrooms". And I'm sorry I was so far into my report by the time you decided to grace us with your presence, next time I'm ready to start one I'll actually call you as I begin typing so you can comment as soon as I hit post ;)

First, this looks absolutely amazing. Second, I had no idea you were in the mushroom hating club with me. But third, how quickly you turn your back on me :-) Glad you were brave enough to try this though. Me not so much. I got home from work late last night and Jason and Casey had ordered a pizza with half mushrooms for them. I wouldn't even eat the other half for fear I'd mistake an olive for a mushroom :P
Yes, the mushroom texture has always kind of made me feel icky. I'm surprised I've never commented on that on any of your reports! Maybe because mushrooms generally scare me so much and the thought of discussing them was too much to handle.......but sautéed or fried or however they were on that flatbread? They weren't so scary! Like instead of MNSSHP they were CNSSM's (as in Cit-rEE-cos Not So Scary Mushrooms). I hear you on the pizza though because they'd be in their slimy, more natural state :crazy2:

Pretty doesn't even describe it. These look divine. And look at you miss brave pants eating peas and mushrooms on the same night.
Peas scare me even more than mushrooms. The Malibu Baybreezes probably had something to do with my pea braveness but I'm so glad I tried that green stuff because it was freakin' delicious

Just FYI, in our 3ish years with a TiW card we've never been asked for an AP or an id of any type.
See now we're asked for either our AP card or license just about every time we use our TiW! Maybe we look more suspicious?

How did I not think of this???? And why did you not suggest it to me? Bloody Mary to go! My life will never be the same.
Our server actually suggested the to-go cup :thumbsup2 I won't hesitate to ask for them now though!

Is that a sausage in your corn dog or are you just happy to see me? :-) Couldn't resist.

This does look amazing! Just showed Jason and guess where we are eating on our next trip!
LOL! Glad you guys are going to try Harambe Market, it was really good and a neat place to hang out. I regret not trying the African milk tart for dessert because it looks delicious so that's on my agenda for Nov.

8/29 Il Mulino dinner

I'm too lazy to look but I think I mentioned earlier in the report that we had tried to eat here on arrival night but couldn't get a reservation. Since we really wanted to try it, we went ahead at that point and booked an ADR for this night at 6:30. Il Mulino had never been on our radar before which is weird now that I think about it; we're Italian, we LOVE Italian, but somehow we missed it. We were determined to fix that asap!

We'd been in the Swan once before but still had some trouble finding the restaurant. Eventually we did; it's very modern-looking, nice, and was also a tad nippy in there :cold: OK, not quite THAT cold. We were seated immediately and brought to our table almost right away was a little Amuse Bouche:

Eggplant with garlic and tomatoes; Salami

I kind of like eggplant; Steve loves it. Well, this eggplant was INCREDIBLE. I couldn't stop eating it!!! It was the tastiest eggplant I've ever had and the parmasian on top gave it a nice extra pop. I was planning on ordering an appetizer but I wasn't starving, my Skippers lunch hadn't completely worn off yet, and I wanted to enjoy whatever I ordered as my entree and dessert. Since I couldn't keep away from the eggplant I decided to definitely skip an app, which was a seriously good decision once the bread came:

Warm and delicious! Just regular Italian bread; I've seen pictures of them serving a focaccia-like bread with red pepper on it but I was fine with this. I can eat really good bread without butter and that's what I did with this. We ended up asking for a 2nd basket which they gave us no problem.
On the drink front, Steve got his grey goose on the rocks again and I was in the mood for some wine. I know lots of you wine drinkers will probably wince, but I love Moscato even though it's so sweet. So I got a glass of the Marco Negri Moscato D'Asti

This was actually a little less sweet than other Moscatos I've had and I liked it better. I still need to look for it around here instead of just buying my standard kinds. Whenever our waiter Joe (who was fantastic) asked if I wanted another glass I said yes without hesitation!

While I had decided against an appetizer, Steve had not. He was thrilled to see the Aged Parmesan, Parmigiano Reggiano for Two, on the menu so he ordered that, knowing I'd have a little

I know I know, looks like cheese, right? But if you like parmesan or specialty cheeses in general you know a plate of it can be heavenly! I ate 2 pieces but between this, the eggplant and bread I seriously needed to start slowing down or there was no way I'd eat my meal. By the end of the night there were 3 chunks left and Steve debated taking them back to the room - but by the time we actually left, it was all gone.........

On our way in we saw someone at the bar with the Chicken Parmigiana dish and after looking over the menu a few hundred times, Steve decided he really liked the look of it and would go with that

Yup he ate the whole thing, which was HUGE, took a picture to send to Ricky who loves chicken parm and also ordered a side of this because he loves it and orders it anywhere he can

Sausage and Broccoli Rabe.
Like I said, Steve loves this and makes it at home often. I am not a fan so didn't try this (or the chicken parm for that matter) but he was in love with both.

I was going back and forth. Other than knowing I wanted pasta I couldn't decide between the Spaghetti Carbonara and the basic Penne Rigate, when I spied something else that actually looked interesting: Rigatoni Con FUNGHI. Yes, I was contemplating ordering something with mushrooms!!!! And guess what??

I did! And it was out of this world :cloud9: This dish was rigatoni, wild mushrooms, spicy cherry tomatoes, garlic and truffle oil.
Truth, when I finished I had what amounted to quite a few mushrooms left in my dish, quite possibly the same amount that were brought to me minus like 3. While I didn't go as far as to physically eat most of these particular mushrooms the flavor had permeated the pasta and that's what I liked. And I did at least, once more, TRY mushrooms again! Anyway back to the dish: between the mushrooms, cherry peppers and truffle oil this was SO good and had immense flavor I came very close to eating the whole dish! I will not hesitate to order this again and in fact, since I made us an ADR here for Nov. once we returned from this trip, I just may be eating this again in about 55 days.

Now you may think that after eating all this we were too full to put anything else into our stomachs, and we probably were. But that didn't stop us! First of all, we both ordered a cappuccino. Very nice since my one small complaint here was that it was freezing

Steve did stop himself from ordering dessert but I just couldn't. I realized I hadn't actually had any sweet snacks yet today -the carrot cake cookie didn't count, that was breakfast people! So I went with this

Torta Di Cioccolati-Flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream and zabaglione
I wasn't sure what zabalione was but I knew if it was Italian and came with a dessert, it would be good! And FYI it's like a whipped cream but mmmm......better. I'd never had flourless chocolate cake before and I'd been depriving myself; that won't happen any longer.

So we were finally done! But I didn't want to think about getting up and having to actually walk at this point. I needed someone to put me on a dolly and wheel me to the boat dock to get to Epcot. Before we could leave, Antonio hit us up with another little Il Mulino treat for every table, their apertif of Lemoncello

I don't know if Antonio is the resident lemoncello dipper or what, kind of like shot girls (or back in my college days, test tube shot girls) in bars, but aside from waiting on one table this is what he was doing all night. Anyway, this was strong!!! I'm not a lemon fan to begin with so this wasn't really my thing, but it certainly cleaned the palette! Steve had a few sips, we paid our bill and rolled on out of there after what we definitely feel was our best meal of the trip. As I mentioned, once we got home I booked this for all of us for our November trip and I think I'm most excited for this one! While we always enjoy Tutto Italia and Via Napoli, this is a totally different experience. The original Il Mulino is in Greenwhich Village , which is only about an hour from us, so we plan to visit that location one day soon, too. This is also the only meal I made note of regarding the bill and how much we saved with our TiW card: total was $157 and we saved $26 with our card.

Oh wait! Remember back when we ate at Citricos, I liked that the napkins had the restaurant name on them? I thought this was neat, too, even though it's not a Disney-owned restaurant

It was roughly 8:00 when we were done so we decided to walk around WS for awhile before going back to our room. When we walked outside the Swan I took this evening shot of the Dolphin because I thought it looked pretty

And then right before we turned away, "Surfin' USA started playing, lights started changing colors and moving around the trees between the 2 resorts

[URL=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/ariane37/media/IMG_4098_zpslvftxdhe.jpg.html][/URL]

We watched for a few songs, all older, light-summer-y tunes, and then headed into Epcot for an after dinner stroll. Between Skippers and Il Mulino this was a fantastic Disney food day!

Looks like a very nice meal. You living in NY are probably used to fancier meals than me here in Snellville, GA, but it sounds like a wonderful dinner! Oh and I'm a wine drinker, nothing fancy though, but I love me some Moscato (plain, pink, red). Dessert looks wonderful! Nice evening!

I just finished dinner and I'm super full, and I swear I felt like I was eating right along with you at Il Mulino, and I need somebody to roll me somewhere too, LOL!

You know, I never give the Swolphin restaurants much thought. Shula's crosses my mind every now and then, but never seriously, and I've never considered Il Mulino before. That might be a mistake on my part - The food looks great! And not priced too badly if you had drinks, an app, a dessert, cappuccino and entrees.
(Oh, and I also like moscato! I'm not a white wine fan really, unless it's moscato, so drink up! I'm on your side!)

This looks like such an amazing meal! My dh and I ate here like 10 years ago I think? Our son and his then girlfriend, now wife ate here a few years ago on a trip and absolutely loved it. It is on my list to try again soon and your report is making me put it near the top! Your pasta dish :love: I would love to try that!

Ok, you just convinced me that we have to eat at Il Mulino. I need to wait on the Braves spring training schedule to know where I can fit it in, but it's definitely going to be in the plans!

Your reviews are great and mouthwatering! We're pretty set on ADRs already but I'm so tempted to book il mulino!! We're staying at the swan too.. :scratchin

I didn't know the original Il Mulino was in the village. I might have to take a trip to the city soon!

I might be adding this to our list for our honeymoon, bc we're staying at the Dolphin the first half of the trip. We LOVE Italian!

know lots of you wine drinkers will probably wince, but I love Moscato even though it's so sweet.

Moscato is pretty much the only wine I will drink!

IMG_4087_zpsv9popmkz.jpg

So this is just straight up a plate of cheese? And you just pick it up and bite it? I've never heard of such a thing, I guess I don't go to very many fancy Italian restaurants...

I always forget to think about the Swolphin restaurants, I really need to remember to look into them for a future trip! Overall, this looks like a really great meal and right up my alley! That flourless cake looks so good, and I'm such a sucker for good pasta!

Your meal sounds delicious! I adore mushrooms! Have never eaten at Il Mulino before. Another one to put on my list!

Eggplant with garlic and tomatoes; Salami

I kind of like eggplant; Steve loves it. Well, this eggplant was INCREDIBLE. I couldn't stop eating it!!! It was the tastiest eggplant I've ever had and the parmasian on top gave it a nice extra pop. I was planning on ordering an appetizer but I wasn't starving, my Skippers lunch hadn't completely worn off yet, and I wanted to enjoy whatever I ordered as my entree and dessert. Since I couldn't keep away from the eggplant I decided to definitely skip an app, which was a seriously good decision once the bread came:

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I'm a sucker for most things eggplant. LOVE it! Wish I could reach in and have some.

I know lots of you wine drinkers will probably wince, but I love Moscato even though it's so sweet. So I got a glass of the Marco Negri Moscato D'Asti

:yay::yay: Me Too! And not ashamed to admit it

I've never actually had chickern parm but that looks so yum.

I did! And it was out of this world :cloud9: This dish was rigatoni, wild mushrooms, spicy cherry tomatoes, garlic and truffle oil.

This looks amazingly delicious as well!

Steve did stop himself from ordering dessert but I just couldn't. I realized I hadn't actually had any sweet snacks yet today -the carrot cake cookie didn't count, that was breakfast people! So I went with this

Torta Di Cioccolati-Flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream and zabaglione

I'm impressed that you managed to fit in dessert! But this looks like the highlight of the meal

The original Il Mulino is in Greenwhich Village

:dogdance: Thanks for sharing this info. Now I don't have to wait for my next Disney trip to try it out (and a good thing too since there are just too many places to try there). Need to remember this for my June NY trip.

Ok, I JUST found your report and binge read ALL of it! :D
Amazing reviews and the pictures are mouth watering!!!!!!!!!!!
There are so many things I want to try now! It looks like you guys had a great time together :-)

when I first started drinking wine I started with moscato but I have since "graduated" to reisling. It is still a sweeter wine but pairs very well with savory food. some of them can be very acidic (learned that the hard way) so if you are in a restaurant I would ask if it is a sweeter one or more acidic one but the sweeter ones are great, especially with spicy food. my pro tip for people who like sweet wines, now i find moscato too sweet with food but it is good by itself or with dessert.

LOVING your report! I've now gone back and read your other trip reports, too, hah! Your food all looks amazing, and good for you trying out some "scary" foods! I definitely want to make a stop at Skippers Canteen on my trip next week, the falafel looks great! Looking forward to more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter