Busses.

BabyPiglet

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain (in great detail) how the bus system works? Do you get some kind of schedule, or do you just go down to the stop and hope for the best? Also, where are the locations they drop you off at? Just anything you could tell me about them would be helpful. :)

Can someone explain (in great detail) how the bus system works? Do you get some kind of schedule, or do you just go down to the stop and hope for the best? Also, where are the locations they drop you off at? Just anything you could tell me about them would be helpful. :)

There is a printed bus schedule. They are available in the clubhouses (I had at least 3 with me, one on my person and 2 in my room). And if you lose it, there is another copy at the bus stop (at least there is at Chatham, not sure about Vista).

The buses have interesting schedules. Some run once an hour (like the Walmart bus). Some run twice an hour (like the AK and DHS buses). Others run several times an hour (like the MK bus). Make sure you are at the bus stop at least 5 minutes before the printed time that the bus is supposed to leave (I always got there 10 minutes early), because the buses sometimes left early.

The bus stops will either be backstage or in the front of the park. The MK bus does both (it first stops at the TTC, and then again back of the MK at Westclock). The Epcot bus drops off backstage, by the Cast Services building. The AK bus drops off in the front of the park, by the CM parking lot/guest parking lots. And the DHS bus drops off in the front, with all the other buses.

Also, the bus schedule runs on Military time, so if you don't know anything about military time, make sure you learn it before you come or you will be very confuse, like I was the first time I saw it.

At the apartments, there is one central bus depot area near the front of each complex (except patterson, they share with chatham). Each bus has a specific route number ( for example, while i was there. The Epcot bus was C), and the bus schedule that you are given has all the times each route leaves and arrives ( in military time, of course!). Make sure you are at the bus stop 5-10 min before its scheduled time, since many of the busses are usually jammed packed. To get on the bus, you must show your housing id, so have it ready!

I'm not sure about all the locations, but I worked at MK and our work schedules were also military time. It really isn't that hard to adjust to, just remember if it is after noon, subtract two hours (and drop the one or subrtact ten). For example, if you are scheduled to work at 1300 hours, drop the one and subtract two from 3, that makes it 1:00. Another example would be 1900 hours, drop the 1 and subtract 2 from 9, so it is 7:00 pm. Where it can get a little confusing is when it gets in the twentys (that's when it's just easier to subtract 12) - like 2300 hours, subtract 12 is 11 pm.

If we have family staying at the resorts, are they allowed to ride the bus to the housing complex with us? I am assuming no but it can't hurt to ask.

If we have family staying at the resorts, are they allowed to ride the bus to the housing complex with us? I am assuming no but it can't hurt to ask.

No unfortunately. The CP buses are just for CPs.

Also, the bus schedule runs on Military time, so if you don't know anything about military time, make sure you learn it before you come or you will be very confuse, like I was the first time I saw it.

Quick reference

NORMAL TIME -- MILITARY TIME

Midnight (12:00 AM) -- 0000 hrs
1:00 AM -- 0100 hrs
2:00 AM -- 0200 hrs
3:00 AM -- 0300 hrs
4:00 AM -- 0400 hrs
5:00 AM -- 0500 hrs
6:00 AM -- 0600 hrs
7:00 AM -- 0700 hrs
8:00 AM -- 0800 hrs
9:00 AM -- 0900 hrs
10:00 AM -- 1000 hrs
11:00 AM -- 1100 hrs
12:00 PM -- 1200 hrs
1:00 PM -- 1300 hrs
2:00 PM -- 1400 hrs
3:00 PM -- 1500 hrs
4:00 PM -- 1600 hrs
5:00 PM -- 1700 hrs
6:00 PM -- 1800 hrs
7:00 PM -- 1900 hrs
8:00 PM -- 2000 hrs
9:00 PM -- 2100 hrs
10:00 PM -- 2200 hrs
11:00 PM -- 2300 hrs

So if someone says 1500 hours, remember they're talking about 3PM, not 5. If you have a digital watch you can set to military time, do it before you go so you can get used to it.

I'm not sure about all the locations, but I worked at MK and our work schedules were also military time. It really isn't that hard to adjust to, just remember if it is after noon, subtract two hours (and drop the one or subrtact ten). For example, if you are scheduled to work at 1300 hours, drop the one and subtract two from 3, that makes it 1:00. Another example would be 1900 hours, drop the 1 and subtract 2 from 9, so it is 7:00 pm. Where it can get a little confusing is when it gets in the twentys (that's when it's just easier to subtract 12) - like 2300 hours, subtract 12 is 11 pm.

As all of our Parks and Resorts operate 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year, all Walt Disney Parks and Resorts sites run on the 24-Hour Clock (commonly referred to in the United States as "Military Time").

It is important for all Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Cast Members to be comfortable and aware of Military Time, as it not only prevents them from being late, but also ensures that we are able to run a efficient operation, which allows us to provide the Legendary Guest Service we are known for.

I don't know about WDW, but here at the DLR, we dedicate quite a portion of our Traditions Class to ensuring that new Cast Members understand how to read the 24-Hour Clock.

As to the buses, there are 11 routes, serving points across both Onstage and Backstage points across the Walt Disney World Resort and surrounding areas. College and International Program participants will be able to obtain detailed bus schedules upon their arrival in Central Florida.

Each route has scheduled stops, which are indicated in the schedule. In addition, many routes have additional stops which are served on a "On Request" basis. Information on how to request drop-off or pick-up from one of these locations is included in the Transportation Schedule.

Route A departs from College and International Program Housing and services: the Transporation and Ticket Center, Magic Kingdom Park Westclock and Disney University.

On Request service is available to The Commons Housing Complex.

Route B departs from the Transportation and Ticket Center and services: Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and Disney's Polynesian Resort.

On Request service is available to: the Shades of Green Armed Forces Recreation Center, as well as Pioneer Hall at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

Route C departs from College and International Program Housing and services Epcot.

Route D departs from College and International Program Housing and services: Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Port Orleans Resorts and Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

On Request service is available to: Walt Disney World Resort Telecom, Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Cast Services, Disney's Port Orleans Resorts Cast Services, and Event Productions.

Route E departs from College and International Program Housing and services: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort Cast Services and Disney's Pop Century Resort.

Route F departs from College and International Program Housing and services: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park, the Downtown Disney Area and the Crossroads at Lake Buena Vista Shopping Centre.

On Request service is available to: Walt Disney World Resort Casting Services, Team Disney Orlando, and a USPS Post Office.

Route G departs from Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort Cast Services and services: Old Port Royale at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Custom House at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts and Disney's Wide World of Sports.

On Request service is available to: The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort, as well as Fantasia Gardens Minature Golf.

Route H departs from College and International Program Housing and services: WalMart as well as Publix Super Market/Walgreens Drugstore.

On Request service is available to a branch of Partners Federal Credit Union during it's regular business hours.

Route H does not operate on Christmas Day (25 December).

Route J departs from College and International Program Housing and services Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park as well as Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

On Request service is available to Disney's Animal Kingdom Wardrobe.

Route K departs from College and International Program Housing and services Disney's All Star Resorts, as well as Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park.

On Request service is available to Disney's All Star Resorts Cast Services.

Route M departs from College and Internatioal Program Housing and services the Florida Mall as well as the Orlando Premium Outlet Mall.

The schedule of this routes varies based on the day and month, check with the Transportation Schedule you will receive at Check In for more information.

Route M does not operate on Christmas Day (25 December).

Routes are subject to change at any time.

Route H departs from College and International Program Housing and services: WalMart as well as Publix Super Market/Walgreens Drugstore.

On Request service is available to a branch of Partners Federal Credit Union during it's regular business hours.

Route H does not operate on Christmas Day (25 December).

The H bus also goes to the Florida Mall a few times each month, so remember to know about those days, because on those days it goes to the mall it won't go to Walmart or Publix.

I know most roles, since they are either in the parks, hotels, or downtown Disney, are relatively easy to figure out where you would go for work each day but does anyone know where transportation starts out? I suppose it would vary based on whether I work boats or monorail but it is something I have been curious about.

Wow, thank you guys so much! This is very helpful.

Another question semi-pertaining to the busses. When you find out where you're going to working or sometime before you actual training starts, do you find out exactly where to go for the training? Like if you're going to work 'Magic Kingdom - Fronteirland Attractions' do they also tell you which bus to take/how to get to where you need to be after you get off the bus?

I'm a crazy worrier, over-planner, so these little things are what freak me out.

Another question semi-pertaining to the busses. When you find out where you're going to working or sometime before you actual training starts, do you find out exactly where to go for the training? Like if you're going to work 'Magic Kingdom - Fronteirland Attractions' do they also tell you which bus to take/how to get to where you need to be after you get off the bus?

I'm a crazy worrier, over-planner, so these little things are what freak me out.

They don't tell you what bus to take, but they do give you a small map of how to get to where you need to go after the bus drops you off. Its pretty easy to know what bus to take. Like if you need to go to Magic Kingdom, just find the letter of the bus on your schedule that takes you there, (which, for Magic Kingdom, was the A bus).

You will be guided where to go throughout training. The first training day everyone goes to the same place (Disney University) for Traditions. Once you break it down into which additional training you will need, you will be told where that will be and when to be ready for the bus. For example, I was MK QSFB, so I did Traditions with everyone who arrived on my day and rode a bus just for those people. Then, I had to go to Disney University for QSFB training, and then I had to go to MK to take the tour with every MK person, get my costume, and then get a quick training tour specified for my area that told me where I clock in, where the break room is, etc. I remember at one point I stopped taking the buses, and drove my car for training, so if I was able to find everything it cannot be that difficult.

Also, I wanted to point out to everyone who take the buses that it is recommended to take the bus before the bus that will get you there just in time. Meaning, if you start work at 10:45 and there's a bus that will you get you there at 10:00 or one that will you get you there at 10:35, take the one that will get you there at 10:00 just in case. I've heard the buses can sometimes be unreliable, or they can fill up quickly. One of my roommates took the bus once and her bus driver pulled over to the side of the road, got off the bus and walked away because he decided to quit right then. She ended up getting written up for being late for work, though eventually she got that dismissed.

Can off duty CMs ride these same busses to the parks and TTC? I ask because we are planning to visit our son, who is doing Fall. We may not get a rental car because rates are VERY high right now. Instead, we could meet him on his day off at the TTC, for example, and go from there. Would that work?

Is there any way for CMs without cars to get to Downtown Disney?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter