Business Concerned about an Obama Presidency.

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
Survey: CEOs Say Obama Would Be Disastrous

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:04 PM

By: Jim Meyers Article Font Size

Business leaders in the U.S. overwhelmingly support John McCain over Barack Obama for the White House — and a resounding three out of four believe that an Obama presidency would be disastrous for the nation, a new survey reveals.

Chief Executive magazine conducted the survey of 751 CEOs in September and found that 80 percent of them support McCain for president, and just 20 percent back Obama.

Asked which candidate they fear, 69 percent of the executives named Obama, 14 percent chose McCain, and 5 percent said both.

The magazine stated that “74 percent of the executives say they fear that an Obama presidency would be disastrous for the country,” while “only 19 percent fear a McCain presidency.”

One CEO said: “I’m not terribly excited about McCain being president, but I’m sure that Obama, if elected, will have a negative impact on business and the economy.”

Another CEO quoted by Chief Executive said: “Obama has shown his inexperience in many of his ideas. Some of his planned programs would bankrupt the country within three years if implemented.”

The business leaders are especially concerned about Obama’s stated intention of increasing the capital gains tax.

“The stakes for this presidential election are higher than they’ve ever been in recent memory,” said Edward M. Kopko, CEO and Publisher of Chief Executive magazine.

“We’ve been experiencing consecutive job losses for nine months now. There’s no doubt that reviving the job market will be a top priority for the incoming president. And job creating CEOs repeatedly tell us that McCain’s policies are far more conducive to a more positive employment environment than Obama’s.”

The survey also disclosed that the CEOs gave Obama a D-plus grade on “Economics/Fiscal Policy.” McCain received a B-minus. He also got a B-minus on “Tax Policy,” while Obama received a D.

I actually just read an article questioning if Obama was doing better because the market is tanking or if the market is tanking because Obama is doing better.

An interesting question.

Survey: CEOs Say Obama Would Be Disastrous

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:04 PM

By: Jim Meyers Article Font Size

Business leaders in the U.S. overwhelmingly support John McCain over Barack Obama for the White House — and a resounding three out of four believe that an Obama presidency would be disastrous for the nation, a new survey reveals.

Chief Executive magazine conducted the survey of 751 CEOs in September and found that 80 percent of them support McCain for president, and just 20 percent back Obama.

Asked which candidate they fear, 69 percent of the executives named Obama, 14 percent chose McCain, and 5 percent said both.

The magazine stated that “74 percent of the executives say they fear that an Obama presidency would be disastrous for the country,” while “only 19 percent fear a McCain presidency.”

One CEO said: “I’m not terribly excited about McCain being president, but I’m sure that Obama, if elected, will have a negative impact on business and the economy.”

Another CEO quoted by Chief Executive said: “Obama has shown his inexperience in many of his ideas. Some of his planned programs would bankrupt the country within three years if implemented.”

The business leaders are especially concerned about Obama’s stated intention of increasing the capital gains tax.

“The stakes for this presidential election are higher than they’ve ever been in recent memory,” said Edward M. Kopko, CEO and Publisher of Chief Executive magazine.

“We’ve been experiencing consecutive job losses for nine months now. There’s no doubt that reviving the job market will be a top priority for the incoming president. And job creating CEOs repeatedly tell us that McCain’s policies are far more conducive to a more positive employment environment than Obama’s.”

The survey also disclosed that the CEOs gave Obama a D-plus grade on “Economics/Fiscal Policy.” McCain received a B-minus. He also got a B-minus on “Tax Policy,” while Obama received a D.

CEOs? You can put your trust in the CEOs. I will go with the ECONOMISTS.

CUS955.gif

Even among Republicans Mr Obama has the edge: 46% versus 23% say Mr Obama has the better grasp of the subject. “I take McCain’s word on this one,” comments James Harrigan at the University of Virginia ..

“John McCain has professed disdain for ‘so-called economists’, and for some the feeling has become mutual,” says Erik Brynjolfsson, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management. “Obama’s team is mainstream and non-ideological but extremely talented.”

Mr Obama, says Jonathan Parker, a non-aligned professor at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management, “is a pragmatist not an ideologue. I expect Clintonian economic policies.”

Twice as many economists think Mr McCain’s plan would be bad or very bad for long-run growth as Mr Obama’s. Given how much focus Mr McCain has put on his plan’s benefits for growth, this last is quite a repudiation.

Obama's Economic policy advisors:

Jason Furman (director of economic policy) source bio
Austan Goolsbee (senior economic policy advisor), University of Chicago tax policy expert source Wikipedia website
Karen Kornbluh (policy director) source bio Wikipedia
David Cutler, Harvard health policy expert source Wikipedia website
Jeff Liebman, Harvard welfare expert source Wikipedia website
Michael Froman, Citigroup executive source bio
Daniel Tarullo, Georgetown law professor source bio
David Romer, Berkeley macroeconomist source website
Christina Romer, Berkeley economic historian source website
Richard Thaler, University of Chicago behavioral finance expert source Wikipedia
Robert Rubin, former Treasury Secretary source Wikipedia bio
Larry Summers, former Treasury Secretary source Wikipedia bio
Alan Blinder, former Vice-chairman of the Federal Reserve source Wikipedia bio website
Jared Bernstein, Economic Policy Institute labor economist source bio
James Galbraith, University of Texas macroeconomist source Wikipedia website
Paul Volcker, Chairman of the Federal Reserve 1979-1987 source Wikipedia
Laura Tyson, Berkeley international economist, Bill Clinton economic adviser source Wikipedia
Robert Reich, Berkeley public policy professor, former Secretary of Labor source Wikipedia weblog
Peter Henry, Stanford international economist source website
Gene Sperling, former White House economic adviser source Wikipedia

Other prominent economists who support Obama:
Brad Delong, Berkeley macroeconomist source Wikipedia website weblog
Joseph Stiglitz, 2001 Nobel laureate source Wikipedia
Edmund Phelps, 2006 Nobel laureate source Wikipedia
Ray Fair, Yale macroeconomist source Wikipedia
Dan McFadden, 2000 Nobel laureate source website
Robert Solow, 1987 Nobel laureate source Wikipedia

Prominent finance people who support Obama:
(not actually economists)
William Donaldson, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chair 2003-05 source Wikipedia
Arthur Levitt, SEC chair 1993-2001 source Wikipedia
David Ruder, SEC chair 1987-1989 source Wikipedia
Warren Buffet, investor, richest person in world source Wikipedia

http://econ4obama.blogspot.com/2008/06/obama-economic-advisors-and-economic.html

I actually just read an article questioning if Obama was doing better because the market is tanking or if the market is tanking because Obama is doing better.

An interesting question.

I go with #2.

CEO's don't have too much credibility nowadays.

Its unfortunate to tar all CEO's with the same brush. Companies, large and small are the engine of our economy. Most are responsible businessmen and women who want their companies to succeed and make money for their employees and their share holders. They create jobs and thus create wealth.

An interesting question.
Yes, of course! Because certainly there was no sign at all that the economy was in trouble before Obama started doing better in the polls! He's dragging down the entire world's economy!

An interesting question.

Actually this is the discussion that was going on on the radio while I was driving home. They claim that the stock market is tanking because of the fear of a possible Obama presidency. I guess we'll see, if the polls change will the stock market? Could be interesting.

Tina

An interesting question.

I heard about his and the scoop I got from small business owners was the market is tanking due to Obama. They feel Obama is bad for business and will cause bigger lay offs.

On the other hand, one person told me they think short term people will feel better about Obama, but long term he is not good for business. Basically, people will have the feeling Obama will save things so they will invest, but in reality he won't be good for the economy.

I guess we will soon find out. If Obama does win, I hope he will do a good job and prove me wrong.

It's no coincidence that the decline in the markets has accompanied Obama's rise in the polls.

Are these the same CEOs that are making 7 figure salaries? It's time for a change. Period. Corporate greed has to stop.

It is interesting that the market continues to drop even though by most accounts he is ahead in the polls. :confused3

I heard about his and the scoop I got from small business owners was the market is tanking due to Obama. They feel Obama is bad for business and will cause bigger lay offs.
Really? You got that "scoop" from small business owners? Gosh, I guess those billions of mortgage-related write-downs going back to at least mid-2007 didn't have anything to do with it after all! And the disappearance of Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, AIG, Wachovia, WaMu, etc. are also somehow driven by Obama's poll numbers!

I don't know anything about the polls, so I won't comment on that, but personally, I don't want Obama in the White House as his tax increase will affect Dh's business drastically.

I've posted about it before but it was weeks ago. DH is a small town doctor and just last month, we couldn't pay him because his taxes and his malpractice insurance were due. Thankfully we had savings to take care of our personal bills.

Obama's tax plan will affect us and raise our taxes. Plus, from what I understand from the debate the other day, we can't afford to purchase insurance for our employees, nor can we afford a fine due to not having insurance for them. We are barely making ends meet - especially in this economy where his income depends on people paying for his services.

Economists may say one thing - and that's fine, but for DH's business, we can't afford Obama.

Really? You got that "scoop" from small business owners? Gosh, I guess those billions of mortgage-related write-downs going back to at least mid-2007 didn't have anything to do with it after all! And the disappearance of Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, AIG, Wachovia, WaMu, etc. are also somehow driven by Obama's poll numbers!

To be really honest, this entire mess start with CLINTON!!!! Everyone deserves a home even if they can't afford it. Whine, whine, whine.

Anyway, yes business owners feel Obama doesn't have what it takes to get this on the right road.

I don't know anything about the polls, so I won't comment on that, but personally, I don't want Obama in the White House as his tax increase will affect Dh's business drastically.

I've posted about it before but it was weeks ago. DH is a small town doctor and just last month, we couldn't pay him because his taxes and his malpractice insurance were due. Thankfully we had savings to take care of our personal bills.

Obama's tax plan will affect us and raise our taxes. Plus, from what I understand from the debate the other day, we can't afford to purchase insurance for our employees, nor can we afford a fine due to not having insurance for them. We are barely making ends meet - especially in this economy where his income depends on people paying for his services.

Economists may say one thing - and that's fine, but for DH's business, we can't afford Obama.

In which you will be hurt even more because employers will not hire people but rather make them 1099 workers so they won't have to provide health insurance and thus the employees will no longer have sick/vacation/holiday pay so they won't be able to afford time off from work to visit your hubby for routine check ups. Instead they will go to work sick and make others sick and so on and so on.....

John McCain doesn't know anything about the economy. Only people who says he does are liars or stupid people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter