Busch Gardens Williamsburg Coasters Scary?

Danny K

DIS Veteran
Ok so I will be going to busch gardens next summer, and I am kind of scared of 4 coasters:

Loch Ness Monster
Alpegeneist
Apollo's Chariot
Griffon

Which is the most intense and least intense out of these?
I have been to Six Flags Great Adventure and could conquer all the coasters even kingda ka. Do you think any of these coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburg are scary? I am scared to death when I watch them on youtube.

Could you please explain what each of the coasters are like and whats the closest coaster at six flags great adventure in NJ, so I know what to compare it to. Please I am horrified.

I don't think any of them are that scary. If you have an issue with heights you might find Griffon scary. It's the same ride as Sheikra at BG in Tampa.

I have never been to the Six Flags in Jersey. On the other hand we go to Cedar Point often, and not to many places can hang with their coasters. My husband and I also sky dive. Takes a bit for us to be scared.

I will say to some Lochness can be a bit rough it is the oldest coaster they have. Apollo's Chariot is the smoothest, no loops.

QUOTE=Danny K;50492470]Ok so I will be going to busch gardens next summer, and I am kind of scared of 4 coasters:

Loch Ness Monster
Alpegeneist
Apollo's Chariot
Griffon

I have been to Six Flags Great Adventure and could conquer all the coasters even kingda ka. Do you think any of these coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburg are scary? I am scared to death when I watch them on youtube.

Could you please explain what each of the coasters are like and whats the closest coaster at six flags great adventure in NJ, so I know what to compare it to. Please I am horrified.[/QUOTE]

Um...you went on Kingda Ka, the tallest, second-fastest roller coaster in the world. 456 feet tall, 0-128mph in 3.5 seconds. I think you can handle all the ones at BG just fine. They're less than half as big and quite a bit slower!;)

I personally do not find any of the Busch Gardens coasters scary. (DarKastle kind of scared me, but not any roller coasters.XD)

Least intense to most intense (remember, these are MY opinions and yours might be different:)):
Loch Ness Monster
Alpengeist
Griffon/Apollo's Chariot (they are just different IMO)

My descriptions:
Loch Ness Monster-Sort of bumpy but not headbang-y. There are 2 loops, which you don't notice if you have your eyes closed. It was the first roller coaster I ever rode and it did not scare me. Top speed 60mph. Height 130 feet. Not sure what to compare it to at Great Adventure-I've never been there and can't think of one that 'appears' similar.

Alpengeist-To be honest, I was not impressed when I rode it. And no, I actually have not been on ANY other inverted coasters. I sat in row 5 and was annoyed that I couldn't see where we were going. It may go 67mph and be 195 feet tall, but it is not that intense to me. There are 6 inversions. Be sure to brace your head right after the cobra roll. I banged my head somewheres right after the cobra roll, but I'm not sure where. Probably sort of like Batman: The Ride I am guessing since that is also an inverted.

Griffon-It's essentially drop, immelman, drop, immelman. (Please excuse me if I spelled that wrong.) You go up the lift hill, circle around the top, and dangle over the first drop for a few seconds. Then you get to go down the 205 foot drop 90 degrees straight down. If you're scared of heights, it's probably not a good thing to ride. But it's really a lot of fun!!:woohoo: Try to get an outside seat-being a ways from the track is really cool. If you are not quite sure about it but still want to try it, the middle of the middle row would probably be best. (I've been in the middle of the middle row, and in the left outside seat in the back row. The front row has always had a rotten wait.-_-) And Griffon is pretty smooth, too. Top speed 71mph. Um...it's floorless like Bizarro...it goes straight down like Kingda Ka (but it doesn't spiral on the way down like Kingda Ka does)...IDK, sorry.:P

Apollo's Chariot-No inversions, but it's fast (top speed 73mph), smooth, and full of airtime. Pure fun. Just put your hands up and scream!!:woohoo::cool2::woohoo: I screeched screamed and laughed the whole time I was on it. It's one of those 'IT ENDED ALREADY?!' rides even though it's not that short.:) There are two small hills near the end that have more airtime than the first drop and it's really unexpected if you don't know it's coming. Oh, btw, height 210 feet, actual drop, 170. Probably similar to Nitro at Great Adventure.

Anyways, don't be horrified!! The coasters at BG are NOT scary in the least IMO.:):goodvibes

EDIT: Oh yeah, and stop watching the youtube videos if they are freaking you out. You'll just psych yourself out even if you want to go on them.:)

QUOTE=Danny K;50492470]Ok so I will be going to busch gardens next summer, and I am kind of scared of 4 coasters:

Loch Ness Monster
Alpegeneist
Apollo's Chariot
Griffon

Could you please explain what each of the coasters are like and whats the closest coaster at six flags great adventure in NJ, so I know what to compare it to. Please I am horrified.

Um...you went on Kingda Ka, the tallest, second-fastest roller coaster in the world. 456 feet tall, 0-128mph in 3.5 seconds. I think you can handle all the ones at BG just fine. They're less than half as big and quite a bit slower!;)

I personally do not find any of the Busch Gardens coasters scary. (DarKastle kind of scared me, but not any roller coasters.XD)

Least intense to most intense (remember, these are MY opinions and yours might be different:)):
Loch Ness Monster
Alpengeist
Griffon/Apollo's Chariot (they are just different IMO)

My descriptions:
Loch Ness Monster-Sort of bumpy but not headbang-y. There are 2 loops, which you don't notice if you have your eyes closed. It was the first roller coaster I ever rode and it did not scare me. Top speed 60mph. Height 130 feet. Not sure what to compare it to at Great Adventure-I've never been there and can't think of one that 'appears' similar.

Alpengeist-To be honest, I was not impressed when I rode it. And no, I actually have not been on ANY other inverted coasters. I sat in row 5 and was annoyed that I couldn't see where we were going. It may go 67mph and be 195 feet tall, but it is not that intense to me. There are 6 inversions. Be sure to brace your head right after the cobra roll. I banged my head somewheres right after the cobra roll, but I'm not sure where. Probably sort of like Batman: The Ride I am guessing since that is also an inverted.

Griffon-It's essentially drop, immelman, drop, immelman. (Please excuse me if I spelled that wrong.) You go up the lift hill, circle around the top, and dangle over the first drop for a few seconds. Then you get to go down the 205 foot drop 90 degrees straight down. If you're scared of heights, it's probably not a good thing to ride. But it's really a lot of fun!!:woohoo: Try to get an outside seat-being a ways from the track is really cool. If you are not quite sure about it but still want to try it, the middle of the middle row would probably be best. (I've been in the middle of the middle row, and in the left outside seat in the back row. The front row has always had a rotten wait.-_-) And Griffon is pretty smooth, too. Top speed 71mph. Um...it's floorless like Bizarro...it goes straight down like Kingda Ka (but it doesn't spiral on the way down like Kingda Ka does)...IDK, sorry.:P

Apollo's Chariot-No inversions, but it's fast (top speed 73mph), smooth, and full of airtime. Pure fun. Just put your hands up and scream!!:woohoo::cool2::woohoo: I screeched screamed and laughed the whole time I was on it. It's one of those 'IT ENDED ALREADY?!' rides even though it's not that short.:) There are two small hills near the end that have more airtime than the first drop and it's really unexpected if you don't know it's coming. Oh, btw, height 210 feet, actual drop, 170. Probably similar to Nitro at Great Adventure.

Anyways, don't be horrified!! The coasters at BG are NOT scary in the least IMO.:):goodvibes

EDIT: Oh yeah, and stop watching the youtube videos if they are freaking you out. You'll just psych yourself out even if you want to go on them.:)[/QUOTE]

We are season pass holders for BG and WC USA and I agree with what MarciaBrady said
"Least intense to most intense (remember, these are MY opinions and yours might be different:)):
Loch Ness Monster
Alpengeist
Griffon/Apollo's Chariot (they are just different IMO)".

Loch Ness is like any other standard upside down roller coaster in my opinion, Alpengesit is the same only your feet hang and has more flips. Griffon and Apollo's Chariot can be intense but a lot of fun. I also recommend the new roller coaster, Verbolten. It doesn't go upside down but has a lot of turns and a surprise ending that I was not expecting.

BG is a great park with a lot of fun rides!

the thing about Apollo that I find scary is that you are sitting high on a seat with no sides and only a lap bar, no shoulder harness and it is high. It feels very open as you ride but fun.

You didn't list Big bad wolf, maybe it's gone I haven't been in years and I live 40 miles away.
It is a hanging coster that swings over the lake.

Lockness was the first loop coster I did as a kid, it is a classic.

the thing about Apollo that I find scary is that you are sitting high on a seat with no sides and only a lap bar, no shoulder harness and it is high. It feels very open as you ride but fun.

You didn't list Big bad wolf, maybe it's gone I haven't been in years and I live 40 miles away.
It is a hanging coster that swings over the lake.

Lockness was the first loop coster I did as a kid, it is a classic.
That was the very thing I liked on Apollo's Chariot-feeling like you're flying with just the lap bar holding you in.:)

Big Bad Wolf is gone; it got replaced by Verbolten. I never got to ride BBW.:(

Loch Ness was my first coaster too, in 2012!:)

Loch Ness Monster was also my first coaster! :). Since I'm a fraidy-cat of roller coasters, I've only ridden Loch Ness Monster and Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Verbolten is mostly in the dark, and a bit jerky, but not too bad. What really freaked me out on that one is the free fall inside, which I wasn't expecting! ;). If I'd known it was there, it probably wouldn't have bothered me so much, because I'd have been prepared for it. As I remember, the last drop on Verbolten over the Rhine River was ok, not too bad. Loch Ness Monster: Freaked me out because it was my first coaster, but if it hadn't been, I'd have probably liked it more. I didn't even barely notice we went upside down, so don't worry about those. :). Honestly, I don't remember much else about it. But, like MarciaBrady said, you rode Kingda Ka, so I definitely think you can handle these, no problem! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter