• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion?

lisaross

DIS Veteran
thinking ahead to next summer when we drive down to Outerbanks. We like to stop on the way back home. Last time we stopped at Busch Gardens for 3 nights and had a good time - amuesment park one day and water park another. I was thinking of stopping this time at Kings Dominion - we have not been since my boys were 3 and 5 (will be 12 and 14 next summer). I read mixed reviews on Kings Dominion so just wanted to get some opinions.

lisa

110% Busch Gardens. Kings Dominion is dirty and gross. Busch Gardens is clean, has a better variety of rides, and even if you don't like rides they have beautiful flowers!

I agree that BG is a much nicer amusement park than KD, but I wouldn't call KD "dirty and gross". You do pay quite a bit more for BG though. A one day ticket for BG without a discount is $70, where as a one day ticket for KD without discount is $46. KD includes the water park with admission where as at BG it is a separate park. You will probably find better hotel rates in Williamsburg though. There are relatively few hotels around KD. If the cost does not matter, I would go with BG.

watch for deals on Busch Gardens if that is what you decide. We got a 7 day 2 park pass for $80 per person this year. Was good at both Busch Gardens and Water Country

BG is very nice but since you have done that recently, I would opt for KD. I grew up going to KD and have never thought of it as gross. (I'm pretty picky). We got season passes two years ago and enjoyed it very much. The coasters are great! It can be crowded so we went during the week. The water park is included and definitely gets crowded. We only did a few tubes and the lazy river. Good luck with your decision, either way it will be fun!

We like KD okay, but we LOVE BG! We live closer to KD but choose to purchase season passes to BG each year. WC is one of the best water parks in the country. You will enjoy either one though!

We like KD okay, but we LOVE BG! We live closer to KD but choose to purchase season passes to BG each year. WC is one of the best water parks in the country. You will enjoy either one though!

Busch Gardens is our favorite. It seems to be cooler during the hot summer. Not as much asphalt at BG.

BG hands down. It's a much prettier park, and attracts a more family friendly crowd. Plus there's Water Country, and Colonial Williamsburg. And the shopper in me has to mention the Prime Outlets, LOL!!

DH's company held a family day at KD. We were not impressed with its cleanliness or beauty.

We are pass holders at BG. Love it!

Both are good for different reasons. KD had exponentially more rides than BG, and a bigger collection of thrill rides that might appeal better to a 12 and 14 year old. Cedar Point has been pumping in cash to restore KD to is pre-Viacom glory, but it has always been the "riders" park of the two, but is more carnival in atmosphere. It's easy for thrill-seekers to finish every thrill ride in BG before lunch in a moderate crowd.

BG is a nicer laid out park and appeals more to adults who prefer a more leisurely pace. And it has some great coasters as well. It's beautiful and better shaded, but requires treading up some hills. I have to say the Europe theme is getting a little old in the tooth and tacky.

Food sucks at both but historically was usually worse at BG, when Anheuser Busch owned the parks, they pretty much served airline food. BBQ restaurants at both parks are saving graces.

Beyond the rides, KD's built-in water park is pretty lame compared to Water Country.

As I noted both are good parks. If killing one day, I will always pick KD, if you want to stay for a few days, Williamsburg and BG offers more to do and better hotels.

If you want dirty and gross...that's what Six Flags is for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter