Bus Etiquette

this is not etiquette related but what time do buses go until?

The official policy is 1 hour after the last park closes. The real answer is until every park has been called clear of guests. Now if you do end up at a park way way way past park close and need a bus you'll have to wait for one to be dispatched to come and get you which can be a long time.

The official policy is 1 hour after the last park closes. The real answer is until every park has been called clear of guests. Now if you do end up at a park way way way past park close and need a bus you'll have to wait for one to be dispatched to come and get you which can be a long time.
so if your in DTD late you may end up needing to cab? ( I don't mean that like its awful im just trying to figure stuff out)

so if your in DTD late you may end up needing to cab? ( I don't mean that like its awful im just trying to figure stuff out)
DTD, now Disney Springs, is a whole different thing than the parks. Buses should run fairly late. Until at least midnight.

is it still the free buses? Im thinking of going for drinks after the parks

We just returned from a nice stay at POR, one night on the way from MK, there was an accident and all traffic had to be diverted turning a 14 minute bus ride into 45 minutes, this bus was full, there was a man holding a child, he was offered a seat when he got on from an older gentleman and declined. About hallway through the bus trip he and his wife had to start passing the sleeping child back and forth, no one had expected the trip to last this long. People were miserable, myself included, being 5'2" holding on of those straps for that long is not too comfy!

The lady standing next to me said something to a teenage girl to give up her seat, the girl was about to oblige when her father stopped her and said "it is not our fault that they brought a kid," while a valid point, it still saddened me a bit. These were not normal circumstances. Once the bus was able to get moving, the driver clearly was trying to make up time and took the turns like a nascar driver, people were falling into each other. My arm and shoulder are still sore.

While times have changed, and I do believe you should never expect a seat unless you take the steps to get one, I am able bodied and I will still give up my seat if someone needs it more. I will not judge anyone for not giving up one, when my son was 15 we were in wdw, and he was recovering from 2 broken vertebrae, I always gave my seat to him and got many weird looks from people.

I am just back today from a 5 day trip to WDW. And what I found ridiculous was the many bus seat stand-offs I saw. Seats went empty because people would get up, and the one they were offering the seat to would refuse to sit. This happened more than once. It is great to make the gesture of offering a seat if you want, but if it is turned down sit your rear back in the seat. There are no bonus points for standing for no reason.

I am just back today from a 5 day trip to WDW. And what I found ridiculous was the many bus seat stand-offs I saw. Seats went empty because people would get up, and the one they were offering the seat to would refuse to sit. This happened more than once. It is great to make the gesture of offering a seat if you want, but if it is turned down sit your rear back in the seat. There are no bonus points for standing for no reason.
Oh no!!! That's been me in the past!!! I really don't need a seat. I actually like to stand. But there have been several times when I've been offered a seat, but declined. The offering guest didn't sit back down...so I tried to find someone who could use the seat.
Someone once asked me if I thought I was the bus monitor! Geez...just trying to help someone out!!

Oh no!!! That's been me in the past!!! I really don't need a seat. I actually like to stand. But there have been several times when I've been offered a seat, but declined. The offering guest didn't sit back down...so I tried to find someone who could use the seat.
Someone once asked me if I thought I was the bus monitor! Geez...just trying to help someone out!!

It was ridiculous the number of times people were left behind in the queue while there were empty seats on the bus, all because people didn't want to the That Person who didn't offer their seat to someone else.

Or they don't move all the way to the back.....even though other guests were yelling that there were Emory seats. Not to mention the empty spots that about 10 people could have stood in.

We solve this easily by not getting on the buses unless there are seats for us. We have taken toddlers, small children and elder parents. We WAIT for a bus to seat us and would never dream of hoping someone would give up seats for us. Geez we are all tired and all want to sit. If someone needs a seat that badly then wait for an open bus. Simple.

So, what some of you seem to be saying is this. If someone who is standing and could really use a seat, you wouldn't get up and give it to them? Because they should just wait for another bus or rent a car.

Yes, they COULD have waited for another bus. Yes, maybe they shouldn't be on a bus at all. Is that really justification to say "tough luck, I have my seat." Got it. Now a whole lot of other behavior at WDW makes much more sense.
That's exactly what I'm saying. We sometimes waited for two buses until we got one with empty seats for all of us. We are not going to hand over the seats that we waited for.
While waiting our kids were either in strollers or sitting on the ground while we waited. We parked my mom on a bench. I just don't get the I deserve a seat even if I didn't wait for a bus that has one for me mentality. If you truly NEED to sit please wait for a bus with available seating.

To address the original point, I was born in 1950 and was taught from the get go that on public transportation a male gives up a seat to women with small children, pregnant or elderly of either gender. I'm technically 'elderly' myself now but in great shape so I still offer it up. Refuse if you wish, but if someone gets offended by an act of consideration, they've got the problem, not I.

Bill From PA

I have always enjoyed the buses at Disney. I would say out of 20 rides, I have only had a bad ride once. I really had no clue how to handle the situation....I was already seated (and it was not a full bus) when a heavy set lady sat in the seat next to me. Only she didn't remain in her seat. Her thigh was literally on top of me. I found this to be extremely rude and it put me in a very uncomfortable situation. I had no clue if I should just get up and move or sit there. After a few minutes, I moved. She had no care in the world and I am honestly wondering if she even had a clue that her body was on me. :/

I don't mind the busses at all. I just get really crabby about the GIGANTIC strollers that take up usable seats. These giant double wide deals that the family thinks should have it's own seat! I also don't get families with small kids (5 and under) who don't or won't put the kids on a lap when the bus is crowded especially when their stroller is taking up a seat! I wish Disney would install external stroller holders much like city busses have for bikes..

I always offer my seat for any Woman or child or anyone who needs it, many times younger Women will not accept and that's fine too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter