• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Burning the Candle at Both Ends - A Holiday Dining Report

I would have reacted just as Arthur did when I saw a whole fish on my plate...but don't know if I could have gotten past it. Bravo to Arthur.

There is something about Disney that makes me not need the same amount of sleep that I apparently require every other week of the year :) So glad to know the weather held off.

I've never been in that store. Just may have to find my way there this summer!

I would have reacted just as Arthur did when I saw a whole fish on my plate...but don't know if I could have gotten past it. Bravo to Arthur.I think it would have freaked me out!

There is something about Disney that makes me not need the same amount of sleep that I apparently require every other week of the year :) So glad to know the weather held off.
So much harder to get up for work, isn't it. ;)

I've never been in that store. Just may have to find my way there this summer!

It would be a great place to run to if you are nearby and a rain storm hits or if you need a break from the heat.

Following along :). What kind of sustainable fish was it? I know in the Bahamas, they often serve Snapper whole/fried and it's very delicious...but you have to look out for all the bones.

Following along :). What kind of sustainable fish was it? I know in the Bahamas, they often serve Snapper whole/fried and it's very delicious...but you have to look out for all the bones.
I checked with DH and he said it was snapper. :)

*Testing the new DIS format with this picture and I can't figure out how to delete. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Thursday, December 25th
Merry Christmas!

We were up bright and early again today. It was to be our only AK day the whole trip and we had a lot we wanted to accomplish. We were hoping to get a jump on the crowds. So, after a quick look in the stockings, it was off to the bus stop. We made it to AK for the 8am opening!

After a morning facing the Yeti, traveling back in time to see Dinosaurs and hanging with the Fab 5, we were getting hungry. Flame Tree was the obvious choice, but we would be having barbecue for dinner. Since we had a FP+ coming up for the Safari, we decided to head that way and eat at Pizzafari.

Arthur got the Hot Italian Sandwich (which I heard has been removed from the menu?) with the cheesecake in a glass.

The kids and I all got pizza. Hermione and Harry had cheese pizza, I had pepperoni and Ron had meat lovers. Harry and Ron got the chocolate mousse in a glass and DD and I got the kids' cookie. The pizza meals all came with Ceasar Salads.

photo5-1.jpg

20141225_1114111.jpg

Ratings:
Me: Entree 6/10 (It's your standard Disney pizza; I'm happy to eat it once per trip) Dessert: 2/10 (the cookie was fine, but those in a glass things are nasty!) Atmosphere: 7/10 (the seating is plentiful, there are nice animal murals on the wall and it's air conditioned if it's hot out)

Harry: Entree 6/10 Dessert: 1/10 Atmosphere: 7/10

Last edited:

W
Thursday, December 25th
Merry Christmas!

We were up bright and early again today. It was to be our only AK day the whole trip and we had a lot we wanted to accomplish. We were hoping to get a jump on the crowds. So, after a quick look in the stockings, it was off to the bus stop. We made it to AK for the 8am opening!

After a morning facing the Yeti, traveling back in time to see Dinosaurs and hanging with the Fab 5, we were getting hungry. Flame Tree was the obvious choice, but we would be having barbecue for dinner. Since we had a FP+ coming up for the Safari, we decided to head that way and eat at Pizzafari.

Arthur got the Hot Italian Sandwich (which I heard has been removed from the menu?) with the cheesecake in a glass.

The kids and I all got pizza. Hermione and Harry had cheese pizza, I had pepperoni and Ron had meat lovers. Harry and Ron got the chocolate mousse in a glass and DD and I got the kids' cookie. The pizza meals all came with Ceasar Salads.

photo5-1.jpg

20141225_1114111.jpg

Ratings:
Me: Entree 6/10 (It's your standard Disney pizza; I'm happy to eat it once per trip) Dessert: 2/10 (the cookie was fine, but those in a glass things are nasty!) Atmosphere: 7/10 (the seating is plentiful, there are nice animal murals on the wall and it's air conditioned if it's hot out)

Harry: Entree 6/10 Dessert: 1/10 Atmosphere: 7/10

Hahaha, we had cheesecake in a glass at Restaurantosaurus... Seriously the grossest thing we had all week. Two bites and it was gone. The pizza and sandwich look like they made up for it!

Joining in! I like how you are both doing your ratings after every meal.

:welcome: and thanks!

W

Hahaha, we had cheesecake in a glass at Restaurantosaurus... Seriously the grossest thing we had all week. Two bites and it was gone. The pizza and sandwich look like they made up for it!

Right. If we weren't on the dining plan, we wouldn't have gotten dessert at all. You'd think they could offer something edible. :crazy2: We're not picky people.

Enjoying the reviews!

Thanks!:-)

Christmas Day - Part 2 - Quick Snack update

So, after filling our tummies, we headed off to use a FP+ at the Safari.

After the safari. DH decided to head back to the resort to relax. The kids and I didn't want to leave just yet as we had an important meet'n'greet opportunity. So, we decided to stay for a while. Unfortunately, the character we were anxious to meet wouldn't be out for some time, so we amused ourselves by checking out some animal trails and then headed to Rafiki's Planet Watch where we ran into some other cute critters as well as Rafiki. (Who loved my shirt!)

Finally, it was time to meet a character we'd never met before!

After that, we decided to catch the Festival of the Lion King and head out. While in line, we realized we were getting the munchies. I was a bit chilly so just opted for some chips that were in the backpack. The kids, however, had a better idea. The boys left the line and ran to the nearest ice cream cart.
Harry had the frozen banana. He loves these and has gotten at least one per trip for as long as I can remember.

Hermione opted for the classic Mickey ice cream sandwich.

And, Ron had some Dibs.

After the show, we headed out of the park. We had some big Christmas dinner plans!

Last edited:
Christmas Day - continued
Dinner - Part 1

So, after relaxing at the resort for a little bit, we headed out to the bus stop. We didn't have to wait long and hopped on a bus to MK. From there it was over to the boat docks where we boarded a boat for Ft. Wilderness. It was a peaceful ride (albeit a bit creepy since it was so dark out.)
In no time at all, we had reached our destination.

Since we were so early we decided to take walk around the Fort for a bit.

So peaceful and relaxing! The campsites were all decked out and looked so beautiful. The Fort at Christmastime is a must see, IMO. My phone pictures don't do it justice.

After a peaceful stroll around the Fort, it was time to check in for dinner and have our photo taken.

Coming up: It's time to whoop and holler!

Christmas Dinner - Part 2
The back story

This was my 3rd time eating at the Hoop Dee Doo. The first time was way back in 1995 with some, at the time, fellow Disney Store Cast Members. There I am, all the way on the right. :p

We had a blast! But, for one reason or another, I didn't find my way back there again until 2013 on a mini trip with Hermione and Harry.

Harry and Hermione both loved it and we all laughed until our sides hurt! So, when it came time to pick ADR's for this trip, we decided that we had to bring Arthur and Ron. And, what better night, than Christmas.:santa:

Last edited:
Christmas Dinner - Part 3

For anyone who doesn't know, the seating at the Hoop Dee Doo is divided into 3 categories (1,2,3). Category 1 is most of the main level; Category 2 is the furthest seats on the main floor plus some center balcony seats and Category 3 is the side balcony. Seats are assigned when you make your ADR, so the earlier you book the better. The Pioneer Hall players do move around the Hall quite a bit, so you will feel part of the show no matter where you sit. But, if Category 1 is in your budget, I recommend it. We used the DDP this trip (2 credits) for Category 1. Category 1 is only a DDP option if you go to the 8:30 show. They also throw in some special Christmas tunes if you are there for the holidays.

The show itself is pretty corny and cheesy and an absolute riot; guaranteed to make all but the grinchiest of grinches laugh.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story:
We were right next to the stage!

Pioneer Hall was all decked out.

The show.

Place setting

Beer, Sangria and lemonade in mason jars.

Salad appetizer

Corn bread appetizer

Mashed potatoes, beans, fried chicken, corn, ribs

Strawberry Shortcake

The food is basic but yummy and plentiful and we all had our favorites. We ended up getting seconds on the ribs and fried chicken and they brought us our 2 potatoes and 2 strawberry shortcake to begin with.

Ratings:
Me - Appetizers 10/10 (I am shamelessly in love with that corn bread.), Entree 8/10, Dessert 8/10, Atmosphere 10/10!

Harry - Appetizers 9/10, Entree 10/10, Dessert 8/10, Atmosphere 10/10

IMO, the Hoop Dee Doo is a Disney bucket list item and I highly recommend everyone try it once. What a great way to end a special Christmas!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter