• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bummed Out! Is March really that bad?

disneyderns

Mouseketeer
Background...

So DW and I got our school-year calendars for the 2010-2011 year (we're both teachers-different districts). We had orignially planned on going to WDW during Oct as we have in the past - it's a short fall break at both our districts that we attach personal days to, to turn into a 5 day break. We also try to go somewhere warm during spring break - usually non-Disney.

HOWEVER...

Next year DW's spring break is the week BEFORE mine, and if we go in Oct we would burn all of our personal days and not be able to go anywere in the spring, and trust me...mid-March in WI...sucks.

Soooo...

We are now looking at March of 2011 for out next trip to the world. As a family we've never gone at the high time of year and to be frank, it freaks me out:scared1:. Is it as bad as I think it will be? Our only other option is to wait until Oct. of 2011 to go - but that seems soooo far away...

AUGH!

I can tell you in two weeks!

I Leave March 9, and you can follow my tweets if you want live updates theGib95

If you are used to October crowds its horrible on March. In the end its still Disney though so its pretty good none the less. We went last September and we went in March a year and a half before that. To give you an example of the differance that sticks out in my mind September pirates of the carribean was a walk on (other than having to go around a group of very confused Brazilian tourists who were waiting for a couple people). In march the line started before you even got into the cave, we started the line where the overhang is, I think from that point it was well over an hour wait. Peter Pan during march had a 3 hour wait, during September I think we waited about 10 minutes. During March Soarin was like a 2.5hour wait, in September we fast passed it over and over and over and never waited at all except the slight wait you have while watching the video in the que. So yeah, March is that bad, but waiting in line for 3 hours at Disney is more pleasant than waiting in line 3 hours anywhere else on earth lol. Personally after seeing the differance in wait times we are planning to book again this September if there is free dining again. I would never ever go in March again, however my parents went at the beginning of February and other than being COLD there this year the lines were also very short. We like to break up our Disney time with waterpark time though and so the waterpark in February probobly would be too cold to enjoy

Most of March is average attendance.

From many years of experience, if you go before the 3rd full week of March, crowds are not bad at all. After that, things get progressively busier. But considering the mild March weather, little rain, and the fact that it's the only time you can go...it's not bad at all.

It depends on when Easter hits. This year it's early April. I say you are safe the first two weeks of March. After that it will start getting more full.

Last year we went 3/21-3/28. Not our ideal time but we were in FL for a wedding so we hit WDW. The beginning of the week wasn't bad but by that Friday and Saturday I could feel the crowds increase. I believe Easter was mid April last year.

Hey, there!!!! I am currently planning our WDW trip for next year as well. Although I am not a teacher, I do have to be considerate of my DS, who is a wrestler, and has tourneys almost every weekend. Because Easter is so late next year (April 24th), I think we are either going to go the third week of March or the last week of March....I honestly don't think the crowds will be that bad. Or, maybe I'll move it up a week and go during my birthday! :)

Have a great day, hope this helps!

Last year, I was there March 6-13. I never waited more than 10-15 minutes to get on any ride, and most were walk-on. It was ridiculously empty and not crowded at all. And the weather was AMAZING. Hot and sunny every day.

I worked in October and never saw it as empty as it had been when I went in March.

So I don't know what the talk of a ton of crowds is for, but I had the greatest time last year in March and really... there were NO lines. It was insane.

I would think it gets most crowded during high school Spring Break times, which usually aren't until April.

We are heading down in 12 days, and this will be our second trip at this time of year. I don't really think its all that bad. Our first March trip, we were able to do everything we wanted, wait times weren't walk on, but they weren't hours long either LOL. Generally it was 30 minutes or so. The weather was fantastic, much better than when we went last May when it poured all day and night for 7 days.....I think you will be fine.:goodvibes

I'm not feeling quite so bad...I was hoping that because of the lateness of Easter that going th 3rd week of March would be ok...although I do wonder if most other schools are doing the same thing and are going to have break that last couple weeks of March...

We went last year 3/13- 3/20. It was insane. Just like Christmas week. Seriously. Soarin wait times were like 240-300 minutes. Fastpasses disappeared quickly on all major rides.

The weather was lovely.

Sounds like I went at the wrong time, according to all the above posts. Maybe I was at the wrong park on the wrong day.

K

We went last year March 25-30th. We did not wait more that 20 mins to ride any ride. :cool1: Not because lines were no longer than that, but because we had a good touring plan (did my own based on research from DIS and other sites) and good use of the FP system. We were at rope drop every day and took advantage of evening EMH. Other than not seeing Tink & the Faires b/c the line was so long, we did everything we wanted and visited all four parks and DTD at least once during our trip.

I think the crowds really matter if you do not have a plan. With a good plan you can beat the crowds every time!! My biggest piece of advice is to never be w/o a fastpass. Before you use a FP, get a new one! If you go to eat, make sure you have a FP. If you leave a park and you know you are coming back, get a FP before you leave, etc.

At DHS, be at RD and get the TSM FP and then ride stand by. We rode TSM 3 times each of the two days we were at DHS.:woohoo:

Have a great trip!

We usually go spring break in March. The later in the month, the busier it gets. My opinion is that March IS busy, but certainly not a bust. Much depends on where you stay and how efficiently you operate through the parks. If you plan on sleeping in each day, you will likely miss out on some rides or shows. Fastpasses go quick and there is an art to using them.

These boards will be a great reference as you prepare, but don't sweat it!

Last year we went during Spring Break around the middle of March and while it was crowded, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just have your plan and strategies in place and you shouldn't have a problem at all.

It's not that bad. For the past two years we have done it. Last year was busier than the previous, but as long as you get there early in the morning and have a plan you'll be fine. Hope you have a wonderful time! :hippie:

Background...

So DW and I got our school-year calendars for the 2010-2011 year (we're both teachers-different districts). We had orignially planned on going to WDW during Oct as we have in the past - it's a short fall break at both our districts that we attach personal days to, to turn into a 5 day break. We also try to go somewhere warm during spring break - usually non-Disney.

HOWEVER...

Next year DW's spring break is the week BEFORE mine, and if we go in Oct we would burn all of our personal days and not be able to go anywere in the spring, and trust me...mid-March in WI...sucks.

Soooo...

We are now looking at March of 2011 for out next trip to the world. As a family we've never gone at the high time of year and to be frank, it freaks me out:scared1:. Is it as bad as I think it will be? Our only other option is to wait until Oct. of 2011 to go - but that seems soooo far away...

AUGH!

I'm a teacher too and had only gone during Spring Break until October 2009(I also did March14-21st 2009)...OMG!!!! If you are used to October, March will be a huge shock. I have decided to never do Spring Break again after doing Fall Break. Be prepared to do rope drop every morning if you plan on a similar experience. Trust me....

I'm a teacher too! Our entire province of Ontario is on March Break from March 14-19, and so I always see tons and I mean tons of Ontarians at WDW!

Good luck - we are leaving in 9 days! Tiger :)

I went the last week of March 2009. It was pretty crowded. Never been in Oct so I don't know how different it is. My trip was horrible, but most of that I credit to a party of 8 who all wanted to do different things and my niece getting a bad stomach virus. If it were just me and my daughter, I think we would have had more fun. But it was pretty crowded. The really popular rides had waits of at least an hour, and by lunch fastpasses were gone.

We have been the last 5 years during the time frame of March 20-30.

I have never been during a "slow" time. We use EMH and fastpasses and always get to ride everything we wants. Usually multiple times during our stay.

I personally thing the crowds are part of the fun. :thumbsup2

It makes it more of a challenge to outsmart the others who do not know the tricks and secrets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter