Bummed out after reading magic trip reports

I wouldn't sweat not seeing the AP magic show. We have done it twice on the Fantasy and it wasn't really all that impressive. The menu that night isn't that great either. Remember reading somewhere that in order to accommodate the extra time needed to finish the menu items for certain courses were changed to allow to get the most out of the allotted time. Something to do with the prep time of the food? Anyway AP is a pretty cool dining room without the magic show. It was a neat little diversion for the kids akin to doing a word find on a typical restaurant placemat. The actual time you view your drawing come to life is small. I actually missed mine the first year. I think most of the other things you mentioned will be taken care of before your cruise. Have a great cruise.
party:

Thank you for this!

I'm always curious why so many people want to be one of the "first" to try out a new ship/newly refurbished ship anyway. I always worry that they're still ironing out the bugs in the beginning!

I have found it hardly ever pays to be the first or among the first. I too would rather wait for the bugs to be ironed out.

Slightly OT, but being European I cannot help but briefly say "ouch" at this generalisation ... I so love my bathroom! :goodvibes

But it's totally okay, I know what you really mean and more than one Southern European tourist trap cafe restroom springs to mind :thumbsup2
Oops-didn't mean to offend. Should have been more specific to tourist restrooms in Italy!

I am probably the only person excited after reading all the bad Magic reports :) We are booked on the Dream and after reading everyone go on and on about how wonderful the Magic was and how overcrowded and disappointing the Dream was I wanted to cancel and book on the Magic. :sad: My in-laws flight plans would not allow it so I was bummed out :( and was really wishing I had never found this site but I have gotten so many good suggestions and ideas from people here :thumbsup2 so my advice is to not worry about things your cruise will be what YOU make of it! If you want to have a good time you will :beach: I am going to try the Dream and then maybe I will give the Magic a go too!

I am probably the only person excited after reading all the bad Magic reports :) [...] so my advice is to not worry about things your cruise will be what YOU make of it! If you want to have a good time you will

I agree, I'm sailing on the Magic in January and could not be more excited. Systemic post-dry-dock issues like plumbing will be fixed, and the stuff I care about is apparently awesome. Then again, I never minded the old staterooms and always thought they were nicer than my house to begin with, so go figure. ;)

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

I agree with you!

After reading many reports and threads, my take is that they clearly sent the ship out when it wasn't entirely finished. Thankfully many people did not experience the negative impact and had a great cruise because the public area renovations were awesome! However, if you were one of the unlucky people who had a stateroom that wasn't quite ready for primetime, it sounds like a really bad experience. And it wasn't just one or two people, or an exaggeration, or making a mountain out of a molehill. Many people had lovely staterooms and a great cruise, but there seems to be an unacceptably high number of people who had really bad stateroom situations, such that the ship should not have gone out. As someone scheduled to go on this ship in a little over a week, I am concerned. I'm hopeful that they will either get things fixed up, or cancel the cruise and take the time to finish up the ship. Would I be concerned about this if I was scheduled to be on this ship in 6 months? Yes, and I'd consider rebooking another vessel. However, I'd probably wait and see what happens in the next few weeks to decide.

Very well said!

My family and I are currently reserved on a 3-night Magic cruise in May. To anyone who takes a 3-night Magic cruise in the near future, can you say how it compares with a 4-night? I know that discussion has been brought up many times in the past on these boards, but I'm a little concerned after reading about the Animation Magic show being only on longer trips (I know it's still a Disney cruise and we'll love it regardless).

Actually, our 3-night cruise is scheduled to have a day at sea instead of Nassau, so I wonder how that would differ from the more "traditional" 3-night cruise.

Robert

With the day at sea there should be more character M&Gs during the entire day, more activities scheduled onboard. The MDR rotations/themes won't change.

I have a question - so adults can ride Twist and Spout? I have seen a few comments implying that but I thought there was an age/height restriction. Thanks for clarifying!

From the Dcl website: Twist n' Spout Slide
For children who want to experience a little excitement while cooling down, AquaLab offers an exciting double-looping waterslide. Children using the slide must be a minimum height of 38 inches and a maximum height of 64 inches.

For children who want to experience a little excitement while cooling down, AquaLab offers an exciting double-looping waterslide. Children using the slide must be a minimum height of 38 inches and a maximum height of 64 inches.

That might be what the website reads but it is not what was in practice during the first sailing. The maximum height bit had been "whited out" and they were letting adults ride.

Seems like they are testing it. We'll see what the final outcome is.

I saw somewhere that they were going to allow adults to ride for the first two cruises. Guess we will find out what happens on the next cruise.

Should we tell them what my 6'3" husband told me? "I'm not going if I can't ride the yellow slide." Maybe that will keep it open!

:eek:

(ps he IS going to go of course, but like all of us when we don't get our way, has a tendency to pout. rightly so in this case. :) )

That might be what the site says, but the sign, which has a MAXIMUM height on it, is currently taped over - This might have only been to allow journos and bloggers to ride it on the preview cruise, but at least for now, its open to all. Let's hope it stays that way

1381253_752310174784869_626639059_n.jpg

I agree, I'm sailing on the Magic in January and could not be more excited. Systemic post-dry-dock issues like plumbing will be fixed, and the stuff I care about is apparently awesome. Then again, I never minded the old staterooms and always thought they were nicer than my house to begin with, so go figure. ;)

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

The plumbing issues are NOT systemic post dry dock issues. It has been an issue for YEARS. I have read those complaints on here for years. I had a plumbing issue on the Magic this past May. I also saw rust, which apparently is still noticeable in some areas. Ironically, it was my best cruise so far, BUT was not the best ship. That was the Dream IMO. I sail the Fantasy next month so that opinion may change.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

There is a report out that the cabins with plumbing problems, was do to someone, flushing something they should not have, down the heads, during the cross Atlantic voyage.

They have cleared part of it and are working to *fully clear* the rest.

Since there was so much construction going on it could be anything. I would also guess that the problem would not have been discovered until the cabins were occupied and the heads being used.

Also a rumor that CM's riding as guests have been bumped off the next cruise, clearing cabins, which I guess would be for guests booked in the Cabins still with a problem.

I have no back up to this yet!

AKK

Well, for all of those who have cruises booked on the Magic like the OP laurie, and you are concerned about the negative posts we have seen, I highly recommend you listen to the 10/29 DIS Unplugged podcast about the ship.

I think we all know in this forum, the DIS crew are not "Disney Homers".. they call it as they see it and if Disney fails they are not shy to say it. Clearly they LOVED their experience on this same 2-day cruise that others had issues on. So I think while there are still issues to be worked through, I think we can honestly say...chicken little the sky is NOT falling.

I am excited for those of you scheduled to cruise on the Magic, I wish I was :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter