Bumblesquats Debut - A Review From the Magic

CTFamilyCruisers

Mouseketeer
We just got back from the new show that replaced Hercules - The Bumblesquat Family Reunion. This is my first cruise so I never got to see Hercules, but this Bumblesqyuat thing was rather strange. Imagine the old guy who drives the bus on the Six Flags commercial running around with his wife - a Carol Burnett sort of made up lady - screaming "Bumblesquat." That is about all they did. They would run around, cross over people in the aisles, scream "Bumblesquat" and then there were some acrobatic performances on stage. They resembled Cirque du Soleil and were in fact very good, except I spend the entire show trying to connect them to the Bumblesquats and their so-called Family Reunion. Was there any connection? Beats me. No one seated near me could figure it out either. It felt like two shows slapped together.

Now I am sure someone else will post another opinion and tell me how much they loved the show. That is fine. This is just my opinion. Frankly, I would have skipped it. But I don't want to take away from the excellent job the acrobatic performers did. They are extremely talented and did some amazingly beautiful and difficult performances. But why the Bumblesquats? Perhaps I missed something, but it seemed disconnected.

The Bumblesquats did get some audience members up on stage to dance to YMCA and the chicken dance, and the like. Funny, but it still didn't do it for me.

From what I understand, this is an interim show. So if you are on next week's cruise and are torn between two shows - skip this one. If you have nothing else to do, check it out and if you can figure out what the heck it was supposed to mean, please post it here.

Thanks for the review. We must have timed our trip just right. The week before us Castaway Cay was a washout and and now this. I had no idea we were the last group to see Hercules.

Thanks for the review. We are setting sail this Saturday. After getting over my disappointment that Hercules was not going to be showing I was trying to find information on this group (none found).

I guess it'll be the "if there's nothing else to do" fall back.

Well... I have to agree with CTFamily.....it is very different.... Strange....Odd,,, Not sure why.... the show on the stage was great,,,, but the two people screaming bumblesquats up and down the aisles was over the top.... Not a good replacement even for three weeks!!! This is the only thing that has been a HUGE disappointment so far....

Going by St. Thomas as we speak 11:15 PM

I haven't seen it--and it is allegedly only a temporary show until Twice Charmed gets up and running as a production show with Cinderella themes--but I appreciate the post and now if there are BUMBLESQUATS! on my next DCL sailing, I just found a good evening to go to Palo's for a leisurely dinner.

The disturbing guy from Six Flags (something just very unsettling about him) as a comparison is bad ingredient #1. Comparison to Cirque is #2 (oh save your flame throwers--I saw it years ago, have seen it on Bravo, and have zero interest in anything of that ilk), though that one is a personal preference, and obviously many others like Cirque. Like last year when they were in town, their tent just a few blocks from my office, DW wanted to go, so I bought her two tickets--one for her, one for DS, and said "enjoy!" (He went a few years ago with friends of ours). Now I have gone on too long about Cirque, and it was just a comparison...

The chicken dance is strike 3, yer out. In fact, the chicken dance in and of itself is grounds for flogging in the british navy, though I believe the bahamian flagged DCL vessels are exempt. I would skip virtually anything containing the chicken dance. As Nancy Reagan said about other harmful influences, Just Say No to the chicken dance.

I was PM'd that I was rather harsh on the chicken dance. So I thought about it. Okay, I suppose I would join in a chicken dance with most of the stars of the Desparate Housewives, or a bunch of supermodels, or the ladies at Hef's mansion. But being a divorce lawyer, the chicken dance is the only activity involving me and the above-mentioned categories of lovely ladies that I willing to put in print...but I would definitely still avoid an evening of someone getting in my face and yelling Bumblesquat!, even if I got to go to the show with my attractive chicken dance partners.

but then again, I have been told I have strange tastes.

We enjoyed the performers and got to talk with the lady who did the ring and cloth set and one of the spring stilts guys in line to board after St. Martin. They seemed like really nice people. We did find out that they hadn't ever performed on a ship before and were having to deal with the motion affects on their stunts. One of the guys - I think it was the one who did the German Wheel - ended up with stitches after a practice session.

The silly commedians in the audience were a hoot. I don't know if you could see the book they were holding up or not but they would pick someone out of the audience to be a long lost Bumblrsquat then show a funny baby photo or funny photo in the book of someone who looked similar to the person in the audience. From what I saw, the kids seemed to like the characters in the audience better than the performers on stage.

Just another oppinion.
Hope you all had as much fun as we did this past week!

Sorry - modem acting up - first it tells me it can't post to the web site then it takes it and the site has it twice. Go figure.

Hi

We too were on the Magic for this premier. Everyone with us too did not enjoy the show. Not much into acrobatics and we found the "comedians" to be annoying.

Just to clarify, not everyone dances the chicken dance. One male and one female get taken onto stage and get to dance with the "Carol Burnett" type person and the "Six Flags" guy respetively. They run through series of dances from the waltz to the rumba to the chicken dance to YMCA.

Trust me it is very embarassing. If picked you will have people saying "bumblesquats" to you for the rest of the cruise.

While it was fun to participate. I still didn't enjoy the show.

David

Thank God CTFamilyCruisers were on the opposite dinner rotation. They were spared my on stage dance with Mrs. Bumblesquat.

As for the show? Anyone that has seen La Nuba, the Disney World Cirque d' Solei show would immediately note the resemblance. From the bald Mr. BumbleSquat to the selection of acrobatic performances.

Think of this show as a minor league training camp for future Cirque d' Solei performers.

It was just eclectic enough to divide the audience into love it or hate it. I was surprised by a previous comment that someone did not enjoy a Cirque performance. I have seen 3 of their shows in person and left stunned by all three. Sure they were all weird but they also overdosed all of your senses in a good way.

Knowing how Disney works. I expect they will tweak this show and what future cruises see may not reflect our experience. In any case our divergent comments have probably sparked all of your curiosities just enough so you'll want to see the show for yourselves....

None of us cared for the Bumblesquats. In fact my daughter said it was the dumbest thing she'd ever seen. Thank goodness it won't be a permanent show.

Toni

DH and I had dinner at Palo, was trying to eat quickly to go to the 8:30 show but Marco keep bringing us more food :goodvibes so finally I told DD11 (outside via radio) to go see the show herself. She didn't like it, said it was a copycat of Cirque du Soleil and that bald guy was really weird (she doesn't like those Six Flag commercials). Glad we didn't rush out of Palo.

Sue from Boston

We didn't care for the show either... actually after 15 minutes of watching them go through the audience yelling "Bumblesquat", we got up and left. Sounds like we didn't miss much by leaving.

CTFamilyCruisers said:
This is my first cruise so I never got to see Hercules, but this Bumblesqyuat thing was rather strange. Imagine the old guy who drives the bus on the Six Flags commercial running around with his wife - a Carol Burnett sort of made up lady - screaming "Bumblesquat."

I have never understood why Six Flags would use a guy who looks like a child molester to advertise their amusement parks. If I ran into him, I'd run the other way! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter