Build a Bear - info needed!

Catrin

Taking my Kids - one kid at a time!
Hello all,

I have never been to Build a Bear... and I would like to take my DD, who is 3 1/2 there for a special treat.

A couple of questions...
1) Are there any deals or coupons?
2) What do you get with a basic bear?
3) How much time does it take?
4) Are there any extras that you recommend?

Thanks for any info!
Catrin

there are always coupons for Build a Bear floating around. The latest we got was $10 off $50. Sometimes the come in kid magazines our latest came in an actual mailer from BAB. So maybe sign up online?

I have only been once but it was fun and did not take too long. You can take longer if you want.

I am sure others will help, just bumping you up. Good Luck, its fun!

I have seen coupons (I think $5 off $25) in visitor's guides for Boston and New York City. If there is a Build a Bear in a major city near you and they publish visitor's guides, perhaps they may have a coupon.

You don't get anything with any animal or bear. The only thing included with it is the stuffing, the heart that is put inside the animal, and a birth certificate/booklet. You pay for any extras such as sound, shoes, outfit, etc.

Build a Bear is fun, but can get very expensive. I just saw a commercial saying that there are certain animals for $10, which isn't bad. It is just when you start adding the extras...I think sneakers are at least $8 and outfits are $12 and up.

Sign up on their website and they send a $5.00 coupon for your birthday. The basic bear costs around $12 without clothes which start around $10 for an outfit and the accessories are extra too. You can spend a lot, but you don't have to. Of course, they have beds, carriers, leashes, collars, toys, etc! As far as the time, depends on how much shopping you do. The actual stuffing and printing of the certificate doesn't take that long. DD had one of her birthday parties there and it was a lot of fun. Now we have so many BAB we don't know what to do with them all.:laughing:

We just had a party there this week. They do have animals that start at $10 now. You can check out their website. They have most of the same stuff in the store. Shirts only start around $6 if you can get her to just pick out a shirt. My dd loves build a bear. I usually pick up a couple of things for Christmas from there. They have a rewards program too.

We went this past weekend. We had a $5 off coupon. They are advertising their $10 animals at the moment. Our daughter got the new Christmas moose with an outfit. With the coupon it was less than $25. We arrived at opening, we were done in about 15 minutes or so. It just depends how crowded the store is in terms of wait.

Thank you everyone...

I DID register online.. and YES! a $5.00 off animal coupon printed. This is perfect!

I wish the Build a Bear was closer.... but this will be a nice surprise for her!

Catrin

We took our girls there this past August and DD3 loved it! I'm thinking of surprising her with a special outting to make one for either her sister or great grandmother as a x-mas gift. However the outfits and accessories can really add up.

Build-a-Bear is a DANGEROUS and ADDICTIVE place! Don't do it! Lol. I took DD for the first when she was bout the same age as your daughter. What a mistake! (Especially since BAB is next door to Claire's!) But I have to admit I love the joy in my daughter's eyes, so I do contrubute to the troubles.

I avoid taking my daughter (now 6) to the mall at all costs bc it gurantees that I blow more money than I intended to. I now give my daughter $25 (in ones) for her to spend, when it's gone, it's gone. So far it's worked out really well.

Coupons, their program is great. Sign up for their email and point cards. It makes it worth it. It is really a fun experience for the kids.

I AGREE 100% it becomes addictive and expensive!!! My daughter has between 15 & 20 BAB's. Even with a coupon we rarely spend less than $50.00 on each visit. I am just lucky that the closest store is over an hour away so we don't visit often.

But....... I do love to see her get excited when she is making a new "friend". :yay: Oh well, what can you do but spoil them. :rolleyes1

It's become a tradition in our family that my sons and I Build a Bear for any new baby that's born. Last year we had two, so that fixed the addiction, and we don't need any more bears at home LOL. The last three have gone to DN's who all lived in European Mainland, so we have great fun making them with little Scottish outfits, and giving them Scottish names - Heather, Eilidh and Euan (which is almost our surname!)

But the best part, which I absolutely recommend, is the personalised voice in the bear. My boys have a turn each at putting the messages in the bears, in our broadest Scottish accents, so that the baby can hear it's big cousin every day, and gets to recognise the voice and accent. Both my SILs loved this, and enjoy hearing the wee ones voices, too.

Costco is currently selling $50 Build a Bear gift cards for $40. If you think you would spend that much that would be a great way to save another $10. You should still be able to use the $5 coupon they sent you.

Like other posters have said, it can get expensive. Those little outfits are so darn cute, and then, if you get the cute little outfit, you need the cute little sandals, and the cute little hat, and those adoreable little sunglasses...and the stuff ends up costing more than the critter. It is painfully simple to drop $50 without even blinking at that store.

Set a limit. :)

Ress

December issue of Good Housekeeping has $5 off any $10 or greater bear. Great deal if I can stop at that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter