• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buggyguard for Strollers at WDW?

DisneyMom

Now a Disney Grandma!!
Has anyone used the Buggyguard (or any other kind of lock) to protect their stroller from walking off? I've read that locking to a stationary item is prohibited as the CMs need to move strollers, but what about locking the back wheels together so that it could be rolled on the front wheels but might deter someone from taking the stroller? I'm taking my stroller with me for my grandson - it would be a disaster if it disappeared!!

I have heard of people locking the back wheels together, but honestly you don't need to. We have taken VERY expensive strollers (Bob Revolution Duo)to Disney and they were never even touched. As long as you make sure you put your strollers in the designated stroller parking areas you will be fine. Also mark your stroller with a colorful sign or ribbons or something to help distinguish it from others, and put your cell phone # on it somewhere so that they can get ahold of you if it would go missing. From what I hear, if a stroller does go missing (And it sounds like it is rare), it is usually because someone didn't park in the stroller parking areas and a CM had to move it to a parking area. Other times it was because someone accidentally grabbed it thinking it was theirs. Both can be avoided by doing the things mentioned above. We always ziptie a brightly colored 8.5 x 11 laminated sign on the back of our stroller that has our last name in very large print, and then under our name it says, "If lost, please call (xxx) xxx-xxxx. We also put a luggage tag with our name, address, and phone number on one of the sides. That way if someone has the same stroller, it will be obvious to them that it isn't theirs, and if they are completely blind and still accidentally take it, then there is a # they can call to give it back.

Edited to add, I have also heard that if your stroller does go missing, Disney is very good about it and will give you a rental free of charge.

I just got off the phone with guest services at a park and while it is rare that they get stolen it does happen either by accident or on purpose.

You are allowed to put a lock on the back or front wheels, as long as it is not to something else or through both front and back.

I always decorate our stroller so it is bright and loud and easy to see however I purchased a Buggyguard just yesterday to use on our upcoming trip and trips...it doesn't hurt to be safe and I like that the Buggyguard attaches permanently to the bar of the stroller and then I can loop in through the wheel. The castmember can move it but someone surely couldn't steal it since it won't roll. HTH!

I just ordered one for our upcoming trip. We splurged on our stroller and DH is afraid it will grow legs when we are eating dinner. Not so much for rides because we have so many people going with us someone will probably be with DD for most of the rides.
It won't deter a professional thief but it might make them look at the next stroller.

While my stroller was not exactly cheap, it is perfect for us and as a Grandma, the idea of carrying or chasing an active 15-month old if stroller disappeared is daunting!! I'm going to order the Buggyguard today! Thanks everyone!

When we were there in June of this year we had our two youngest with us and took two strollers. We did use a buggyguard to lock the two strollers together. If the CM needed to move them they still could-nobody would have been able to accidentally or purposefully walk off with them though.

we purchased a lock last night and will be using it when we go next month. I am so excited to take our newest addition :yay:

The front wheels on our stroller are pretty easily removed & reattached, so I'm planning on keeping a wheel in our bag when we leave our stroller! LOL
It will be easy enough for CMs to move, but who would want to steal a stroller missing a wheel? Hopefully that will make it less desirable!

The front wheels on our stroller are pretty easily removed & reattached, so I'm planning on keeping a wheel in our bag when we leave our stroller! LOL
It will be easy enough for CMs to move, but who would want to steal a stroller missing a wheel? Hopefully that will make it less desirable!
That's a good idea, I should see if ours come off easily. Although I don't know which is more of a PITA - removing a wheel, or locking them. Why can't people just NOT STEAL?

The problem with using wheel locks if you have a young child (or two young children, especially) is that it gets to be a PITA to stop and relock it every time you move on to the next ride, so most people stop bothering to lock it after the first few rides of the day. (If you are the kind of person who parks a stroller once-per-Land, this isn't such an issue.)

I found that that happened to me back in the days when Macs were rare, so I worked out a different compromise that I only need to do once per park visit. I lock open the main fold joint of the stroller. It won't stop a really detemined thief with a covered pickup truck and a hacksaw, but it gives me enough piece of mind that I can enjoy myself without worrying about it. I figure if a casual thief or a case of mistaken identity happens, I'll get it back at the end of the day when WDW finds it abandoned. (I do have permanent ID on it in multiple places in the undercarriage.)

My SIL had hers stolen when we were in Cinderella Castle for the princess CB. I don't remember what kind it was but she said it wasn't cheap because it was a good umbrella stroller big enough for a 6yo boy. Anyway, she was so mad she wound up taking someone elses that looked like hers thinking the woman who took hers did it by mistake and she would call her and they'd just swap. Never happened, so my SIL was out her stroller and someone else was out theirs. I don't condone her actions and told her so. Two wrongs and all. But that's how these things happen. The stroller was right where it was supposed to be and got taken right from the CM watching them (because really, how would she know?). If it's expensive, the locks might be worth it. Ours never got touched and we had a travel system. I find people who steal seem to know the expensive ones and take them. I never bring anything that I can't replace. They make convenient strollers that, while upsetting if taken, won't break the bank. Might be worth it. Good luck!

Also, the CM knew my SIL was taking someone elses that wasn't hers and let her do it, so they don't really stop that kind of thing. They just are there to make sure they don't get in the way of the doors.

The problem with using wheel locks if you have a young child (or two young children, especially) is that it gets to be a PITA to stop and relock it every time you move on to the next ride, so most people stop bothering to lock it after the first few rides of the day. (If you are the kind of person who parks a stroller once-per-Land, this isn't such an issue.)

I found that that happened to me back in the days when Macs were rare, so I worked out a different compromise that I only need to do once per park visit. I lock open the main fold joint of the stroller. It won't stop a really detemined thief with a covered pickup truck and a hacksaw, but it gives me enough piece of mind that I can enjoy myself without worrying about it. I figure if a casual thief or a case of mistaken identity happens, I'll get it back at the end of the day when WDW finds it abandoned. (I do have permanent ID on it in multiple places in the undercarriage.)

Can you please elaborate on how you did this? I have a Mac so this is worth looking into. Thanks!

Locking the fold is easy, and can be done in several places depending on the fold style of the stroller.

Essentially, what you need to do is look CAREFULLY at your stroller as you are folding it. Note the major places where two pieces of metal must pass closely against one another in order for it to fold. To stop the fold, you need to place some kind of thick barrier in one of these spots, keeping the two pieces of the joint apart. With my older Mac, I did it by placing a long-hasp padlock across two of the flat bars at the back level with the top of the basket. I locked it across one of the horizontal top pieces and one of the diagonal pieces. That was an easy-to-reach spot, but if the diagonal bars cannot rotate downward there, the stroller won't fold.

stroller.jpg

Generally speaking, a longer-hasp padlock is the best thing to use for this method, but a cable would work, too. However, if the cable is thin you would probably want to wrap it a couple of times around the joint, otherwise someone might be able to fold it partway -- just enough to manage to break it before they figured out that it was locked.

PS: Nowadays Macs are very common at WDW; I started doing this 12 years ago when they were unusual in the US. While I do put a distinctive marker on my Techno to prevent mistaken identity (a big fluff of hologram curling ribbon around one handle), I don't always bother to lock it in the parks these days. Downtown Disney is a different story; I always lock it there if I leave it outside a restaurant.

PPS: I find that the curling ribbon is a good mistaken-identity marker because you can't help but feel it if you are pushing the stroller; it sticks to your hand unless you put your hand underneath it deliberately. It also glints brightly in the sun, making it easy to find the stroller when it is parked in a large stroller parking area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter