Bug Spray?

In my experience, Disney is amazing in that we almost never see any bugs. Love bugs, which don't bite and are harmless are about the only kind of bugs I've ever seen.

Waht is amzing, is that with all the animals at AK and AKL, I've never once seen a fly!

At most, if I go with my extended family of 11 people for a aweek, and we are out every night, we might have one or two bug bites among all of us. I think that was a record, the time two of us had a single bug bite.

Florida is notorious for being buggy. Many times at offsite hotels folks do report seeing 'water bugs' which look like large cockroaches. A few DISers have said that DIsney is not immune to the bed bug problem sweeping the country.

DInsey is also veery proactive in using non-lethal insect control. Like using lady bugs to control aphids. Indeed, pest control was a solid topic discussed on the Behind the Seeds tour I took some years ago.

All that said, we don't bother with bug spray, but if you think one bite is too many, then it is up to you.

bugs LOVE me and my daughter (who is allergic) and NEVER have we had one bug bite and we go in August when I would think those quick showers would bring a ton of bugs. Not to mention the humidity! But we have never even seen a bug, nevermind get bit by one!!!

Regardless of time of year, I have never worn bug spray at Disney. Must be all that Magic!

I usually don't have a problem but I just got back and got eaten up pretty well. Bugs typically love me anyway. I think I received most of my bites from the magic kingdom as we ended up spending quite a few evenings there. I ended up wearing yoga pants after dinner towards the end of the trip just to expose less skin! I think I will be bringing and using bug spray next time.

the only place I have ever been eaten alive was at Fantasmic. I bought bug repellent wipes and will throw the into my bag on Fantasmic night next week. if I use them, great, if not I willsave the for later.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

A couple of minor incidents, which are so rare that it isn't worth worrying about or taking precautions ...

Once when the kids were little, I went with DD in the little trails around the Tree of Life to take some pix of the sculptures. She apparently brushed up against some of the vegetation when she was standing next to me and something stung or bit her on the upper arm. We never saw it but possibly it was an ant. Nothing major but it hurt quite a bit and we took her to the 1st aid outpost nearby and they gave her a bit of cream, and within a little while it didn't bother her any more.

Another time, at MK lining up for the old Ariel's grotto, it was August and there were a couple wasps or hornets buzzing around the trash cans. One of them landed on the other DD's face. As she instinctively brushed it away without knowing what it was, it gave her a very tiny sting on the bridge of her nose. Good thing it didn't give her the full blast! We went to a snack vendor who gave us a plastic bag full of ice to apply to her cheek. By the time she got to see Ariel she was fine.

I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito on Disney property. I read somewhere that they are constantly trapping mosquitoes throughout the property and analyzing them, determining what species, how many of them, etc. and then applying fog during the small hours of the morning in the breeding places whenever they think it's necessary.

I'm not an old Florida hand or anything but I noticed that during the summer at Canaveral National Seashore where they don't spray, the mosquitoes are vicious, with the most painful bites I've ever had. Even on the beach in a strong breeze, they come up to you from downwind and BAM! Whereas just to the north where there are towns, they obviously spray because we've never seen a mosquito near the beach anywhere between New Smyrna and Palm Coast.

A couple of minor incidents, which are so rare that it isn't worth worrying about or taking precautions ...

Once when the kids were little, I went with DD in the little trails around the Tree of Life to take some pix of the sculptures. She apparently brushed up against some of the vegetation when she was standing next to me and something stung or bit her on the upper arm. We never saw it but possibly it was an ant. Nothing major but it hurt quite a bit and we took her to the 1st aid outpost nearby and they gave her a bit of cream, and within a little while it didn't bother her any more.

Another time, at MK lining up for the old Ariel's grotto, it was August and there were a couple wasps or hornets buzzing around the trash cans. One of them landed on the other DD's face. As she instinctively brushed it away without knowing what it was, it gave her a very tiny sting on the bridge of her nose. Good thing it didn't give her the full blast! We went to a snack vendor who gave us a plastic bag full of ice to apply to her cheek. By the time she got to see Ariel she was fine.

I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito on Disney property. I read somewhere that they are constantly trapping mosquitoes throughout the property and analyzing them, determining what species, how many of them, etc. and then applying fog during the small hours of the morning in the breeding places whenever they think it's necessary.

I'm not an old Florida hand or anything but I noticed that during the summer at Canaveral National Seashore where they don't spray, the mosquitoes are vicious, with the most painful bites I've ever had. Even on the beach in a strong breeze, they come up to you from downwind and BAM! Whereas just to the north where there are towns, they obviously spray because we've never seen a mosquito near the beach anywhere between New Smyrna and Palm Coast.

Funny you mention the bee stings because my son did get stung by a bee at Epcot by Mission Space. He was in the stroller and the thing just came up and got his finger. Poor boy.

When I answered previously, I only responded about mosquitos...didn't even think of bees until I read this post lol

My sister and I took the kids for Halloween one year right after a hurricane had hit Florida. After being eaten alive by mosquitos at the night time parade at the Magic Kingdom we purchased a very expensive bottle of bug spray at the Wilderness Lodge store. It was unusually hot on our visit (temperatures in the 90's) and the hurricane had left lots of wet grounds. I remember the swimming in the quiet pool at the Wilderness Lodge Villas in the evenings with only our face out of the water so the mosquitos wouldn't bite. That is our only trip that we encountered bugs, so now we always throw in those wipes just in case!

i would bring it but we never have problems with bugs at anytime in disney.. ive never really been bitten alot or kids bitten alot, we always bring bug spray everwhere (or the bug repllent wipes), but we have never really used it when in disney.. i would bring it as a back up ..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter