Bug Spray, Sunscreen and misters

AddictedtoDoleWhip

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if I would need Bug Spray? I have extremely sensitive skin, and bugs tend to LOVE my skin as in I have gotten a good dozen bug bites in one day. So I am wondering if I should bring some bug spray with me, and I would prefer one that is scentless, and was wondering when exactly I would need to use it and if I am allowed to bring it in the park?

With sunscreen I have sensitive skin and generally use baby sunscreen, but with all these weird regulations or cautions with sunscreen now and I have done plenty of research but I still don't understand what brands are best to use, so which brands work for you or your children? I tend to use sunscreen for babies & kids since it's made a tad bit differently. And can we bring sunscreen in the park? I don't like the sprays cause I feel like more sunscreen goes into the atmosphere than on me.

What kind of misters do you guys use if you need them? What brand is best, are the ones from walmart good?

I was wondering if I would need Bug Spray? I have extremely sensitive skin, and bugs tend to LOVE my skin as in I have gotten a good dozen bug bites in one day. So I am wondering if I should bring some bug spray with me, and I would prefer one that is scentless, and was wondering when exactly I would need to use it and if I am allowed to bring it in the park?

With sunscreen I have sensitive skin and generally use baby sunscreen, but with all these weird regulations or cautions with sunscreen now and I have done plenty of research but I still don't understand what brands are best to use, so which brands work for you or your children? I tend to use sunscreen for babies & kids since it's made a tad bit differently. And can we bring sunscreen in the park? I don't like the sprays cause I feel like more sunscreen goes into the atmosphere than on me.

What kind of misters do you guys use if you need them? What brand is best, are the ones from walmart good?

Bug spray-as long as it is not in a glass container, you should be able to take it to a park. That being said, I can't think of a time I needed bug spray in a park. If I were going to the campfire, or a carriage ride-maybe.

Yes, you can bring suncreen into the parks.

I buy the misters from the dollar area at Target. They are 2.50 and a good size for carrying around. They have a light mist and don't spray a large area so they are easy to direct away from others.:)

get a sunscreen that has at least a rating of 50 and u should be fine. Bugs are not too bad unless you are planning to fish or mini gulf then u may want some! fans are everywhere and about the same!!
yes you can bring sunscreen in and bug spray!
We have stayed at the fort and I put bug spray on before we left to go back cause they were bad in the campground!!

I could be with 100 people and the mosquitoes would only bite me hahahah... I always get tons of bug bites in the summer although I can't remember ever getting them in Disney, so I think you will be fine without bug spray! :]

I have never needed bug spray at WDW (and have gone six or seven times, but always in late September or October).

I like the mini mister fans at Walmart (the little ones that are the size of the palm of your hand). They work really well.

I also got a great fan (with no mister) at Target a couple of years ago -- it's much better than the fans with the foam blades (more powerful). The fan is a Coleman brand, and is much more powerful than the other little fans out there.

Regarding sunscreen, I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had really good luck with Neutrogena sunscreens, but your skin sounds pretty sensitive. I know Neutrogena makes a "sensitive skin" sunblock -- maybe you could try that. And I would ask about the return policy where you buy your sunscreen; I know Walgreens has a great return policy on cosmetics. Maybe they have the same policy for sunscreen. It would be great if you could return it if it bothers your skin!

Good luck and have fun!

Bug spay at mini-golf ?

We plan on doing mini-golf around 10:30 AM.... are there bugs that early ?

I do plan on bringing a small plastic bottle of bug spray with us to WDW.

thank you to help us plan :goodvibes

Bug spay at mini-golf ?

We plan on doing mini-golf around 10:30 AM.... are there bugs that early ?

I do plan on bringing a small plastic bottle of bug spray with us to WDW.

thank you to help us plan :goodvibes

You will not need bug spray to golf at 10:30 AM. I have been to the parks over 1000 times and don't ever recall being bit by a bug or any other creature. I wouldn't bother taking bug spray into the parks.

I have also never needed bug spray in WDW, and mosquitoes usually love me! I use it instead of body spray here in Texas :lmao: The best one I've found for "unscented" is Off Unscented with Aloe- it's not truly unscented, but it doesn't smell like your typical bug spray and it's not a powerful smell. You can buy it pretty much anywhere.

Can'r really help you with the sunscreen - dark hair but super fair skin means I get the 30+ SPF and reapply every two hours or so, and every time I get out of the water. A severe sunburn is one of the last things you want to deal with while on vacation- learned that lesson the hard way as a kid. If you're going in the summer, try to get a sunscreen that's aimed towards athletes. It will be sweat proof and stay on longer. I usually use Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof at the pool and when I get up enough energy to go running. Texas sun is something else! Hope this helps!

Disney treats continuously for insects in the parks and at the resorts; you don't need to carry bug spray to ward off mosquito or gnat bites.

The one kind of bug that Disney does have in the parks is seasonal, and sadly, there is NO spray that is effective against them: yellow flies. I'm horrendously allergic to the things and have to use a prescription steroid cream if I get bitten. (DH, who is allergic to pretty much everything else in the world, is not bothered by them at all; go figure.)

They are most common in May and June, they bite in the daytime, and often hit you on the legs. They tend to hang out in shady places with trees and are at their worst on cloudy days; I got munched very badly once while eating lunch in the courtyard at the Japanese pavilion at Epcot.

California Baby is a non-chemical, fragrance-free sunscreen that works really well for people with sensitive skin. They offer a 18 SPF & a 30 SPF version.

They also have a great bug spray. It is scented, but very lightly. I am sensitive to scents and this is the only bug spray that doesn't bother me. They offer a 2oz bottle that you could tuck into a purse or bag to take into the parks with you.

have gotten bit MANY MANY times at WDW
Also have found that if you use a spray insect repellent make sure you don't let the merchandise bags rub up against your legs,etc. Have had the color from the bags rub off onto us more than once!!!

Has anyone tried those bug repellant bands they have at Vitamin World? I tried one on a camping trip with inconclusive results. You might try one to see if that works...

You won't need bug spray - Disney has a very good insect control program.

As for sunscreen, you can bring it in the parks. Since sunscreen works after 15 - 30 minutes, apply it in your room before you leave. If you only stay for a couple hours, you can reapply when you get back to the resort for your mid-day break, if not, you may want to bring some with you. As for what you'll be sensitive towards - everyone is different and only you would know what is good for you. Try sticking with a good brand (like Neutrogena) that does not do anything else (like 'aging' benefits or added moisturizers, etc).

For additional bug protection, you can try a soap formulated to keep them away. I plan on using one from Herbaria called Camper's Soap this summer. Not sure how well it works, but I hate the feeling of bug spray.

You could also try Whole Foods for more "natural" products for sunscreen and bug spray. I've used a bug spray by Jason with decent results for my lite suburbia existence.

Im not sure if i ever needed the bug spray because we always used it (i always get bit) but we Found these wipe things at walmart for pretty cheep, and they were like baby wipes and you could just wipe your self really quick and didnt have to worry about the spray. also they make bug repelent wrist bans

You will not need bug spray to golf at 10:30 AM. I have been to the parks over 1000 times and don't ever recall being bit by a bug or any other creature. I wouldn't bother taking bug spray into the parks.

I haven't been bitten at the parks but at the Poly and POR I have been eaten alive in the evenings. I was waiting outside the room one evening for a Dr to get there for my daughter who was ill and I had at least 10 big bites on my face and neck by the time I was out there 15 minutes!

We have been bitten by mosquitos at the parks but mostly on the train. Its not pervasive but has happened to us on multiple occasions. I plan on bringing the natural wipes for my kids and me and use them as the sun starts to set. They smell heavily but I won't use the other formulas full of chemicals and I know these work well as we live on the water in a very buggy area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter